Forbidden Skies (RPG Maker Project)

Tooks

Forbidden Skies 

A lovers bond, the darkness broke it,

A lovers trust, the one revoke it,

A lovers care, the dark did fake it,

A lovers life, they both did take it.

Forbidden Skies takes place in a fictional world called Alencia, a once beautiful planet now nothing but a series of floating continents surrounded by an abyss of nothingness. Follow the story of Elric and his soul Anelle as they journey across the lands of Alencia on a quest from the gods themselves as they unlock the mysteries behind Alencia's destruction and the truth behind the Forbidden Skies.

Characters:

Elric

PHHRYaw.png

The stories main Protagonist. Elric is a young orphan under the care of a kind old witch, Ritsu. He lives with her and his soul, Anelle. Events in his young life spark the beginnings of an Adventure that will cross lands, change lives and possibly even the face of the planet itself. Despite living with a witch Elric never learns to use magic, Ritsu choosing not to share the illegal arts with him. Instead Elric has trained himself to use a sword.

Anelle

BttPZeH.png

Anelle is Elrics' soul and usually takes the form of a butterfly. Her human form shares similar features, always having wings. She is often softly spoken and kind however Elrics' actions sometimes bring out the anger in her. Anelle is not the strongest at melee fighting however her kindness lends itself to some powerful healing techniques. 

Ritsu

jK37xvO.png

Ritsu is an elderly witch who lives in the forest with her soul, Elin, and a child she rescued as a babe, Elric. As a practicer of magic she has chosen to live her life in solitude lest she be arrested by the Church of Formencia and charged for her crimes. 

Elin

mkBZrAP.png

Elin is the soul of Ritsu and often takes the form of a small flame sprite. Her humanoid form reflects this as she displays herself as an Elemental of Fire. Despite her visage Elin is actually very kind and does not anger easily. She prefers to settle disputes with words rather than fighting.

Kale

KiAtLAA.png

Kale is an Agent of Necrom, the Dark God, and has vowed his life and his soul to servitude. As an Agent of Necrom, Kale is apposed to the Church of Formencia and actively seeks to bring Necrom back from the Forbidden Skies.

Vhast

g5PJVey.png

Vhast is Kales' soul. Due to Kales' allegiance with the Agents of Necrom Vhast  has lost the majority of his physical form and his features, even in his human form he has no facial features as is the case of all the souls of Agents. Vhast is not upset by this fact however, he willingly joined the Dark God along with Kale and is happy to serve both Necrom and follows Kale willingly where ever he goes.

Factions:

The Church of Formencia

The Church of Formencia are the main political and religious faction within Alencia. They worship the god Formencia and her lover Alexis and believe one day the two shall be reunited and bring peace to the world. As the most powerful faction on the planet the church hold power over the laws that people follow and as such have outlawed the use of magic, cursing it as 'tapping into the powers of Necrom himself'. No one really knows why the church fears the use of Magic so much.

The Agents of Necrom

Agents of Necrom have sworn their life and their souls to the Dark God Necrom. They do not believe him an evil god and purely believe the title 'Dark God' was one fashioned by the Church. They believe Necrom as the true god and deny the powers of Formencia. Agents of Necrom devout their lives to finding a way of freeing their god Necrom from his prison, believing him trapped in the Forbidden Skies outside of Alencia.

More Details will be revealed as the project progresses!

Thanks! I need to update some things. The facial graphics for Elric, Anelle and kale are different now (I used VX Ace's character builder to customize some faces :D) If you know anywhere thats good for royalty free graphics (I need some images placeholders for the intro until im not so lazy and make my own) that'd be handy!

Good luck, but please, please don't make the story generic.

I will try my best! Unfortunately it is hard to get away from SOME cliche's when it comes to designing and making an RPG. I already know how the story goes and in my mind its not too generic but then sometimes an outsiders perspective is needed to notice things like that :D

Can't say I know much about the graphics I'm afraid Tooks. I do know a lot about story writing and a bit about general dev, though, so if you need help on that front I'm your man XD

I'm glad to see you're finally taking the plunge and doing a game (I remember your thread in the old forums about it).

Can't say I know much about the graphics I'm afraid Tooks. I do know a lot about story writing and a bit about general dev, though, so if you need help on that front I'm your man XD

I'm glad to see you're finally taking the plunge and doing a game (I remember your thread in the old forums about it).

This story has been kicking around in my brain for a good old 3 years now so it feels good to finally do something with it :D I just hope it turns out okay

I see plenty of potential in this game. May you please explain what you by Anelle is Elric's soul. That confuses me.

This'll be explained in the games lore too (optional books you can read) but basically everyone in Alencia has a soul that is kind of like their own person. Their souls have their own personalities and can change their forms though they tend to choose between two, a resting form which is small and requires little energy to sustain and a more humanoid form which requires more energy to sustain. Anelles forms being a small angelic form for her humanoid state and a butterfly for her resting.

Tldr everyone has a soul but they live irrespective of their bodies and generally have their own personalities and behaviour.

Update:

after grabbing some custom artwork for the RPG Makers character creator I decided to throw together some custom sprites/faces for elric, anelle and kale, purely because I hated how regardless of the conversation both Anelle and Elric were grinning like over excited children, now I have a couple of faces to choose from for conversations which in my opinion makes the dialog a bit more interesting, also I think Elric looks pretty awesome but maybe I'm biased :D. Some people might be wondering why there are always two previews for Elric and Anelle (others have probably worked out why) but without intending to spoil anything the storyline has parts that take place in both their younger years and their older years. The younger sprites are around about 15/16 year olds and in their older sprites they are around about 21. I've updated the main post with the update graphics but i'll throw some down here, too,

BttPZeH.png PHHRYaw.png KiAtLAA.png

and a screenshot for good measure, please note though that nothing in this image is 'final' and i might completely redesign the rooms at some point.

p6YD05f.png

If you want to try your hand at drawing art for your game, I recommend having a look at GraphicsGale - http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/ The free version should do the job just fine.

Also, http://www.aseprite.org/ is a 2d sprite editor, which would be handy for making all sorts of things from characters to swords, etc.

I personally use ArtRage for backgrounds and aseprite for everything else.