Stone need more uses

MyTJ

Prelude

So I'm not the proud owner of 229 stones or more*.  Got me thinking there should be more uses for them then making crude stone hammer... especially when I'm the proud owner of 260 hammer (most of them in mint condition).  Below you'll see a list of suggestions that I'll try to update with community input to give an ongoing list.

List of suggestion for stone use - Crafting

Campfire kit

Make this an ingredient in the campfire kit as there is already some in the sprite when you place it on the ground.  No need to go crazy... just a couple of them as they are fairly easy to get. Failling that, have an heavier version of the campfire kit that requires and offer more resistance to fire spread.

Stone wall and stone fences (see post #2 for extra reading)

I think there could be 2-3 versions of each full wall and half wall (fences). The first two are my real suggestions.

1. Stacked stones : require quite a lot of stones, long building time, offer slightly more resistance then a log wall (assuming this wall is a feet thick or so and 3 or 6 feet high... that's quite a lot of stone and weight to move around)
  2. Mortar (concrete?) and stacked stone : offering a higher degree of sturdiness, require slightly less stones, longer to build and may require to do a multi stage building.
  3. Stones in a concrete mix to thin out the mix : lowering the effectiveness of the concrete in some ways (cohesion), less concrete required and some stones needed.

Stone pathway (see post #2 for extra reading)

Nothing says... I'm an awesome survivor, like being able to make a stone laced pathway to your or around your base.  It could require gravel/sand beneath or through it to fill the gaps.

List of suggestion for stone use - Weapon

Siege like weapon (see post #3 for extra reading)

Nothing is easier then dumping a ton of stones on some attacker at the foot of walls.  It requires only that the stones are there in a container of sort that can be pivoted to make the stone fall (in some cases they are merely held against a cliff by a support).  Some high end version could require very little time and effort to activate (removing or breaking a support so it pivot down... instead of having to pivot up).  It's actually easier to do then using burning oil and stuff.  Now there is a question of quantity required though, as I understand those stones are fairly small (i.e. not boulders).

Sling (not to be confused with slingshot)

Stones could be used as ammo for a sling. It would be a cheap, quiet, and early game alternative to firearms. The sling could be made with some twine or rope and a sheet.  Remember David?  Credit due to @HiveMinder (see post #1).

List of suggestion for stone use - Fun stuff

Decorative stones

This may also be considered crafting.  With the soon to come custom logos on T-Shirt, it may expend the possibilities for other objects.  You could paint some stones with faces, or anything for that matter, to decorate your base and/or ward-off the loneliness of being a lone(ish) surviver.  Kind of like Wilson in Cast Away. Credit due to @SaltandPretzels, see post #3.

Skipping stones

The sun is setting slowly, frogs and crickets are filling the air with their chants and fishes jump to catch flies.  You're leisurly throwing a few Skipping stones accross the Ohio River while you contemplate what nature offers you. For a brief moment you can almost forget you are in a Zombie appocalypse and feel good.  Skipping stones could provide a boost to happiness, reduce boredom and stress.  It could also serve in contest of who make the most bounces.  Credit due to @uberevan, see post #4.

Edited by MyTJ

Got a private message by @HiveMinder about this post, stating difficulties to reply.  Anyone else has that problem?

I have no idea why I can't reply to your suggestion post, but I think it would be cool if stones could be used as ammo for a sling. It would be a cheap, quiet, and early game alternative to firearms. The sling could be made with some twine or rope and a sheet.

I'll update the original thread at lunch and split the suggestions into categories (so far : crafting and weapons).

Edited by MyTJ