Depth - Choose Your Own Adventure!

Rathlord

maxresdefault.jpg

As you slowly wake, your brain focuses enough to ask for a moment, 'where am I?' But, banishing the morning's first thought, the gentle swirling of the current outside and the comfortable pitch black remind you that you're safe in your cot. You fumble for a moment in the inky darkness before finding the breaker and flipping it. With a quiet 'whoosh,' water flows into the now-unlocked turbine outside and the globe on the ceiling slowly flickers into life, lighting your small room in its warm glow. Outside, nearby fish dart swiftly away from the sudden light (often spelling danger at this depth), but quickly grow accustomed and go back to their daily troubles. You watch them dart about for a moment, hoping your fuzzy mind will have a few more moments of respite before the troubles of the day come flooding in. It's to no avail, though, so you run your hands through your hair, grit your teeth, and stand up.

For a moment you're very dizzy, and your head pounds as if you're hungover. But yesterday was just a normal day in the Bathydome, no reason for you to feel sick. You grab the mirror above your small dresser with both hands and stabilize yourself. Brushing your hair out of your face, you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.

1) Looking into it, you see your face, the face of:

A) Dane, the engineer. As an engineer in the Bathydome, you are responsible for the day-to-day running of the facility. You make sure the power stays on and people have oxygen. Every day is an emergency, but it's a challenging and exciting job, requiring both brains and occasionally brawn. You enjoy interesting work, have a wide variety of talents, and rarely complain.

B) Shaila, the peacekeeper. As a member of the Bathydome's small police force, you are responsible for keeping the peace and protecting valuable assets. You rarely see any trouble, but you always stay ready for whatever is coming your way- it's your job, after all. You enjoy talking to people, are talented at physical activities, but aren't much good at puzzles.

C) Tam, the biologist. As a Bathydome biologist, you are given tasks by your department head on a regular basis to work on and solve. You never know what the projects are for, but you enjoy the work and look forward to your next assignment. You enjoy tough challenges, are good with technology, but dislike manual labor.

D) Nel, the janitor. In reality, you do many other jobs than cleaning- whatever needs doing, from wrenching down pipes, to serving food, to moving steel beams for construction. You don't really know how you fit in to Bathydome society, but you do your work steadfastly. Your job takes you all over the Bathydome, and as such your talents are diverse and you're very adaptable. You're shy and a bit of an outsider, and really wish you had a friend.

E) Jaina, the Bathydrome Supervisor. As Bathydrome supervisor, you oversee all aspects of day-to-day life and are privy to almost everything that goes on. The entire Bathydrome project depends on you every day, and you won't forget it.

F) No write-in votes, but if you'd really like to gender change one of the above that's fine (if you can get a majority vote for it). Your gender won't matter other than how some characters react to you. Your over-all abilities and proficiencies will be identical.

As you pull on your clothes, your eye is pulled to the corner of the room where you store your hobby materials.

2) You see:

A) A tiny hobby garden, with some precious soil and a few small plants. You've always had a bit of a green thumb and the garden really brightens up your room!

B) An instrument (write in instrument of your choice). You have a natural talent for music, although you've not been brave enough to play for an audience yet.

C) A small chemistry set. Even if it's not your job, you've always found chemistry fun. You don't make much practical, but you like messing around with neat reactions.

D) A chessboard. You don't have a chess partner, but you're looking for one. You find chess a great way to keep your brain sharp.

E) A pair of dumbbells. Every day after work you spend a little time lifting weights. It's always good to keep in shape!

F) A sketchbook. You love drawing, and have a nice collection of pencils and pens to do it with. Your book is empty right now, but you'll fill it up soon!

G) Write in a hobby! Be creative! It can be anything you want as long as it somewhat fits the setting. If you're unsure, ask first!

Welcome to Depth, a forum-based choose your own adventure game.

The basic format is easy. I will describe a specific scenario, and offer you some ways to resolve it (as per above). If you don't see something you like, you can also write-in your own option. The most popular option is chosen, and leads to the next scenario. You can join the game any time you want to, you don't have to have played from the beginning! You can type as much as you want, but when you're voting please bold your choices. This lets me quickly tally votes when I'm ready. For instance, an example vote for the first scenario would be:

1) D

2) F

Depth is an open adventure, where you can do basically whatever you want whenever you want. There is an overarching plot, and it will both continue and have consequences even if you're not participating. You are, of course, limited somewhat by your environment and your skills. Feel free to ask questions about your surroundings at any time. I may or may not answer them. If you're posting a question you want answered, please put it in bold as well. Finally, your character can and will die if you make bad choices for him/her.

If you're wondering if the game is based on Bioshock, the answer is- yes and no. I really love the setting of Bioshock, but I've actually never played the games myself. That being said, I have watched quite a bit of them, so you'll probably find little snippets of them here and there, aside from the setting which I've borrowed heavily from.

Finally, a couple of tips if you're new to these kinds of games:

*Please keep character actions somewhat in-character and in-universe. Stuff that doesn't make sense or uses meta-knowledge of some kind won't be counted

*If you're writing in an option, don't just write it! Argue your case as to why other people should vote for it as well!

*Argue about regular options, too! Feel free to try to sway people's votes to your point of view, but do remember to follow the general forum rules and stay lovely

*You can change your vote at any time prior to me counting votes. If you're going to change your vote please strikethrough your old vote and make a new post with the new one

*Don't forget to ask questions and question everything!

If you have any questions or would like to talk about the game, I'm usually in the Project Zomboid Discord here: https://discordapp.com/invite/0lGvMrCiUWbasJFh

You can do @Rathlord there to ping me. I'm always online, but I only check it when I'm not at work, so if you want to bring something to my attention that's the best way. If you're not on the Discord yet, you should be- it's great!

Edit: I'll probably try to give at least 24 hours for most votes to make sure people have a chance to jump in. I might give a bit longer for this one since it's the first vote.

10 minutes ago, MyTJ said:

I look around the room and check for any other small items that can be easily carried.  Are there any?

Other than your work gear (to be determined), you also notice a small pen knife, a hairbrush, an oddly shaped key, and a small jumble of coins.

Seeing the key reminds me to look around for a lock, failing that it's a definite must grab.  Pen knife and coins are into the "why not" category. Work gear will probably be treated in future story post, but failing that it's a definite must grab whatever the profession.

Are there any locks nearby? If so, does the key fits it?

Edited by MyTJ

19 minutes ago, loudboomaker said:

The question is whether the fact that the character is controlled by a hive mind council that votes on her every action will affect her survival negatively or positively.

Grab the stuff for sure

Also guys don't forget to vote for starting traits. 

I like the idea of grabbing stuff that may (or may not) be useful later on... but I got to wonder : there is no bag/backpack or carrying item so far.  I assume you have only your pockets and your hands.  Thus, the hairbrush is not a desirable item as it would not fit in your pockets.  Any use I can see for it is making yourself more pretty :

2 hours ago, Rathlord said:

Brushing your hair out of your face, you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror

Assuming this is not your everyday... and the start of a journey into the unknown... I see little use in preparing yourself like you would do any other day. But I guess there is little harm in spending a few seconds to brush your hair before going out, right?

Edited by MyTJ

20 hours ago, MyTJ said:

Are there any locks nearby? If so, does the key fits it?

You don't see any locks nearby, except the one on your door. It doesn't have have a keyhole, rather it is a standard bulkhead lock. You recall that bulkhead locks are used around the bathydome to secure areas in case of flooding. Some of them take keys, but yours just has a large wheel on the inside that closes it. It's not accessible from the outside when locked.

19 hours ago, loudboomaker said:

Grab the stuff for sure

Remember that asking questions and taking actions are a different thing. If you want to take an action, you'll have to get a consensus or at least some support for the idea. I will sometimes allow extra actions that aren't prompted in the scenarios, but you will also have something I like to call "magic turn dust," ie the amount of things you can do in one time period. You may cap out on this some turns and "write-in" actions may not happen.

14 hours ago, Ontogenesis said:

What skills or knowledge would I have picked up working on the hobby garden?

Your gardening may have garnered you some minor knowledge in biology, basic herbal medicine, cooking, and tea-brewing.

Dang... we'll end up a loner with little to no puzzle solving and biology abilities (what if there are mutants?)... oh well... he seems strong so I guess we'll try to pummel them to death.

Not that I'm a sore looser in anyway.  I'll continue this adventure whoever we end up with and adapt as much as I can.

Any chance we can get private version of the adventure?  By undertaking an oath of secrecy of course (including not using any knowledge the public character could not have).

Edited by MyTJ

5 minutes ago, Rathlord said:

For what it's worth, Nel (the janitor) is a female name. She's a she :P

I was unclear on most of them for gender purposes... no offense.  I actually did not mind either way on any of them.

I though it was :

A) Male
B) Female
C) Female
D) Male
E) Female

What gender are you (each one)?

Edited by MyTJ