Please remove barrels

RedKrypton

Crafting rain barrels or even a frame seems like a waste of time.  In reality there would already be so many things around that are barrels, or as mentioned garbage cans or bins you can put a bag into and you're done.  Am I weird in thinking this?

It would certainly be a waste of time if your safehouse is a building in an urban area where wheelie bins and similar are abundant. If you're in the middle of a forest, sleeping in a tent, then being able to assemble something like this yourself would be incredibly useful, no?

I guess so but in the game you are not limited to that forest scenario.  Most people are going to travel around the map and unless you're under attack carrying a very light plastic garbage pail out to the woods would be pretty easy.  I'm speaking practically about how this situation might play out in the game rather than in real life where you might begin in a place like that and stay there.  I think using such existing containers would be a far better choice for the majority of players.

To be completely fair, It's not improbable that the design works, I mean, all things considered I've got a similar set up in the back yard.

You construct the "barrel" and the inside can easily be lined with plastics, cardboard (if its all that's available) or another nonporous material, we were actually taught something similar in the Army.

I know it takes the wood and nails from in game, but one can always assume that our survivors lined it with plastic to waterproof it? :P

As far as the weather goes, I live in Tennessee and for the late summer/early-mid autumn start date that the games I've played all seem to have, the weather is fairly accurate as far as rain goes. During that period it rains quite a lot, or did this year, though not all rains were the same as far as how heavy.

As far as the weather goes, I live in Tennessee and for the late summer/early-mid autumn start date that the games I've played all seem to have, the weather is fairly accurate as far as rain goes. During that period it rains quite a lot, or did this year, though not all rains were the same as far as how heavy.

Woot, glad to hear that :D

Let's change the subject.

Alright, I suggest keep the barrels but like was said, require a liner until level 5 carpentry. Then, add pickup trucks that are disabled (no engine, up on cement blocks) and the player has to put a very large tarp in the bed of the truck to gather water. Obviously it can't be moved, so players would have to find the handful of them scattered across the map and either make water gathering trips or stage their safehouse accordingly. It'd be accurate for Kentucky, or anywhere in the south for that matter, and you could require players to craft a large enough tarp using 4 tarps + lots of duct tape + something like a sewing kit perhaps?

Frankly I would prefer it if it were a crate, considering a barrel needs the rings to hold it together and everything. But this probably isn't too far up on the priority list. But a rainwater crate with a trash bag inside to keep the water in would be cool.