DEAD PIXELS (No reset)

Paul Redeker

8 minutes ago, wanderinbilly said:

Cool. I'm a little confused because if 1 IRL hour equaled 1 game day, then everything rotted in 6 days. I'll keep a closer eye on stuff, i.e. wherever I hang out for any amount of time, I'll plant a few plots.

That might be plausible for the cabbage.  But not the strawberries. Those are 30 days to bloom.  Cabbages are around a week. 

On 10/17/2016 at 9:40 PM, Paul Redeker said:

That might be plausible for the cabbage.  But not the strawberries. Those are 30 days to bloom.  Cabbages are around a week. 

Well, it happened, so it's beyond plausible. Anyway, your tweak helped a lot. :-D 4 plots of cabbage, potatoes, broccoli & one plot strawberries planted IRL 8:30AM PST, game date 4/21.

IRL 9:25PM PST, game date 4/28 =  dead cabbages (not a shocker), potatoes bearing seed, broccoli could be harvested, and strawberries, of course, not doing much.  

8:48AM PST game date 5/02 = the strawberries are at 7/7.    So that's much more workable. It's still fast growing though: how do you feel about those times?

Edited by wanderinbilly

5 minutes ago, wanderinbilly said:

Well, it happened, so it's beyond plausible. Anyway, your tweak helped a lot. :-D 4 plots of cabbage, potatoes, broccoli & one plot strawberries planted IRL 8:30AM PST, game date 4/21. IRL

9:25PM PST, game date 4/28 =  dead cabbages (not a shocker), potatoes bearing seed, broccoli could be harvested, and strawberries, of course, not doing much.  

8:48AM PST game date 5/02 = the strawberries are at 7/7.    So that's much more workable. It's still fast growing though: how do you feel about those times?

I'll look at the server settings for grow time.  I think it's set to 2 which is pretty fast.  I set that because the food is going to take a dive as more people stock up with it at rare.  But I can shift it to 3 or 4 to see if that's more workable for everyone's favorite cabbage.  I'd like to find that sweet spot where you can plant some cabbage and they'll be ready on a cycle of when you get on for your daily time.  Cabbages are tough because they rot so fast. Unlike Tomatoes which last forever on the vine.

7 hours ago, Paul Redeker said:

I'll look at the server settings for grow time.  I think it's set to 2 which is pretty fast.  I set that because the food is going to take a dive as more people stock up with it at rare.  But I can shift it to 3 or 4 to see if that's more workable for everyone's favorite cabbage.  I'd like to find that sweet spot where you can plant some cabbage and they'll be ready on a cycle of when you get on for your daily time.  Cabbages are tough because they rot so fast. Unlike Tomatoes which last forever on the vine.

That sounds cool. I'm ready to move to the wilderness so I want to get to 9 so I know when I can, or cannot go on the trip to a town. Good yields on those 9 plots: 12 vegies each, got from Farming 0 to most of 6. Too much w/o refrigeration. If that's a setting, please don't mess with it. Kentucky is super fertile. Srsly. K, time to plant.

Reduced other loot to uncommon.  Still a large stockpile due numbers and high loot settings for awhile.  Might reduce the zed loot as well. ( I think there is a setting for that)  That way the server starts to transition into a mostly post apocalyptic status.   If enough players show up, the resource depletion should put it into a more hardcore mode.  Making it more appealing to have to trade/fight/travel/and teamup to live comfortably.  

Guns will remain high to facilitate the ability to fight zeds and each other if it comes to that.  Starter kit will still be bountiful to accommodate new players to get started. I will reduce the MRE box to a few mres once I figure out how to do that.  Give some other basic tools since the premise is that you are a survivor that has wandered into the Knox area from somewhere else. 

As always, open to other ideas as well.

Maybe reduce spawn points?

Edited by Paul Redeker

19 hours ago, Paul Redeker said:

Note says something about WP Public Health building a wall to keep the diseased people out from Valley Station.  I'm guessing it failed. Valley Station Wall

Some people have been leaving some inappropriate and sometimes racist notes on the Reddker PVP server in public areas. Is there any way to figure out who wrote them to get the admin to ban them? or if I give the note to the admin's character can he tell who wrote it?

1 hour ago, AssReaper said:

Some people have been leaving some inappropriate and sometimes racist notes on the Reddker PVP server in public areas. Is there any way to figure out who wrote them to get the admin to ban them? or if I give the note to the admin's character can he tell who wrote it?

I just saw your thread on Reddit.  I can destroy the notes you have.  What areas?  I can check the logs but I'm not sure it'll tell me who dropped a note.  Best bet is to just not acknowledge them and let me destroy them.  The troll will get bored if they aren't fed.  I also have other admin character names so I can follow people around with them not knowing I'm on the server.  Possibility of catching them in the act.  Bad news is even if I do, they can always circumvent the ban with a new Steam ID.  But thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep a lookout.  Did it just start today?  Might be some bored undesirables from the old server players.  

On 10/24/2016 at 11:42 AM, Paul Redeker said:

Reduced other loot to uncommon.  Still a large stockpile due numbers and high loot settings for awhile.  Might reduce the zed loot as well. ( I think there is a setting for that)  That way the server starts to transition into a mostly post apocalyptic status.   If enough players show up, the resource depletion should put it into a more hardcore mode.  Making it more appealing to have to trade/fight/travel/and teamup to live comfortably.  

Guns will remain high to facilitate the ability to fight zeds and each other if it comes to that.  Starter kit will still be bountiful to accommodate new players to get started. I will reduce the MRE box to a few mres once I figure out how to do that.  Give some other basic tools since the premise is that you are a survivor that has wandered into the Knox area from somewhere else. 

As always, open to other ideas as well.

Maybe reduce spawn points?

The zeds are loot heavy: you could even live off them. In no time you'll have a good pack, a shotgun (or other firearm), some trail mix, a few axes, etc.   Still, that seems more realistic than zeds w/ very little. It's America during the zombie apocalypse, i.e. folks will have trail mix/easy protein, a backpack, and definitely guns. I don't know what the options are, but maybe take it down a notch and see what happens?

I dunno what think about reducing spawn points. I was thinking that starting in Muldraugh or WP makes getting to Bedford Falls or other places kind of like a reward. Now I'm thinking more like a PITA. I mean, if I spawn in Muldraugh (so sick of it), thing I'll do anyway is head South to Bedford anyway. Also, I've never been to New Denver: how long would it take to walk *there*? The main issue is body and bases: do you want players to easily be able to get to their former character's equipment? I sure as hell prefer it. ;-)

I think it's going well: loot will start running out in some places but not yet in others. So, folks will have to start moving around...

On 10/25/2016 at 9:58 PM, wanderinbilly said:

The zeds are loot heavy: you could even live off them. In no time you'll have a good pack, a shotgun (or other firearm), some trail mix, a few axes, etc.   Still, that seems more realistic than zeds w/ very little. It's America during the zombie apocalypse, i.e. folks will have trail mix/easy protein, a backpack, and definitely guns. I don't know what the options are, but maybe take it down a notch and see what happens?

I dunno what think about reducing spawn points. I was thinking that starting in Muldraugh or WP makes getting to Bedford Falls or other places kind of like a reward. Now I'm thinking more like a PITA. I mean, if I spawn in Muldraugh (so sick of it), thing I'll do anyway is head South to Bedford anyway. Also, I've never been to New Denver: how long would it take to walk *there*? The main issue is body and bases: do you want players to easily be able to get to their former character's equipment? I sure as hell prefer it. ;-)

I think it's going well: loot will start running out in some places but not yet in others. So, folks will have to start moving around...

I generally like loot heavier zeds especially in a harder environment.  For the reasons you stated and  it gives incentive for players to kill zeds

I also prefer centralized spawn points so that you have to go explore the map and have some penalty for death.  It also increases the chance you might run into another survivor on your travels.  Most cities aren't that far from WP or Muld.   The exception is when they changed the New Denver map.  It's far as fuark.  Easily a 20-30 minute run.  Which gives advantages and disadvantages to it.   You can generally be left alone out there if you want.  That's a huge investment in time for anyone who wants to troll peeps.  But on the flip side, it's a long run if you die and resources will dry up if you get a large population out there.  But that too has it's perks and drawbacks.  Forces players to trade or team up with each other to make survival easier

I've also started building some lore into the server.  But I've just been busy with work and my social life so it's slow in the making.  Current project is a abandoned military outpost/refugee camp.  If anyone else has ideas let me know and I'll work them in.

57 minutes ago, Paul Redeker said:

I generally like loot heavier zeds especially in a harder environment.  For the reasons you stated and  it gives incentive for players to kill zeds

I also prefer centralized spawn points so that you have to go explore the map and have some penalty for death.  It also increases the chance you might run into another survivor on your travels.  Most cities aren't that far from WP or Muld. 

I've also started building some lore into the server.  But I've just been busy with work and my social life so it's slow in the making.  Current project is a abandoned military outpost/refugee camp.  If anyone else has ideas let me know and I'll work them in.

Ok man, they are *really* loot heavy: I still can't help putting the stuff (axes/shotguns/tools) into backpacks. Lol  My character doesn't care about zeds unless they're in his way or making too much noise near a base - hates the sound. He'll clear the area in those cases. He didn't actually kill his family when they turned: the neighborhood was full of *horrible* people and the wife down w/ the idea of her corpse terrorizing them. . Kids thought it would be funny too, the little scamps. "Horde Killers" don't really need incentive as they love killing zeds: good neighbors to have!

Muldraugh to Bedford is an easy run: I usually have bases at either end of the route w/ chairs along the way to rest. Phoenix kind of screws that up, but I've made the "round about" trip before. Damn I was shocked the first time - "WTF is the forest doing here!?" Then blundered into Phoenix.  The only scenario where having central spawn points would be bad is if factions took over entire towns (at least controlled most of them) and you didn't belong to that faction. I have no idea how likely that is.

Yeah. I don't I know when I'll have time to build the wilderness fortress so my guy can work on his survival skills - he plans on heavily depending on fishing, farming, etc.  By the time I have the chunk of time to establish it, someone will already be there. Oh well, it's a big map. =)

Edited by wanderinbilly

Great News everyone.   I found the files and figured out how to mod them to allow Discord integration with the server.  This means you can chat and interact with the server from your phone or computer when not playing PZ.    Just need to join the Dead Pixels Discord Chat.  Server chat is labeled #public 
https://discord.gg/erGXZzD

Edited by Paul Redeker