Turning plastic bottles into cordage

TheWraithPlayer

Just now, Kajin said:

That is pretty genius... but why would you destroy a perfectly good bottle to make a cord when there's so much other stuff out there you can make it out of?

Would be pretty useful in a situation in which you'd run outa rope or sheets, and IRL you can find plastic bottles just about anywhere.

The best use of a suggestion like this that I can think of is replacement rope for log bundling.  Sheet Rope and Ripped Sheets are far too common in my opinion for plastic bottle cordage to be very useful for that application (or at least too time-consuming to be valuable in an emergency situation).  You would essentially be cutting up plastic bottles with a knife and braiding them, so it wouldn't be a very fast process.  I like the idea though.

While we're at it I think it would be neat if you were able to braid Twine into legitimate Rope.  It would also be nice if you could also use Wire as a replacement for rope in all applications.  It would also be nice if Rope could double as Sheet Rope for exiting windows.

Edited by Deuce

It's a no for me, only because this fits in with "niche survival methods" as opposed to something practical the average layman would think to do in this situation.

8 times out of 10 if you are looking at an empty bottle you will be thinking "liquid storage" before you think "plastic ribbons".

It just seems like something so out-of-the-way from the common and uncommon survivalist setups already in the game that I don't see it fitting in currently.

Braiding twine into rope just seems so much more viable. There's much more arts-and-craftsy stuff I think would fit in well before this is even considered.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Yeah, plastic bottles, even if they're pretty common, would see much better use a bunch more ways than they way would as cords. If you needs cords, take the laces from the shoes of the undead or strip the bark from the trees you're cutting down.

15 hours ago, Deuce said:

The best use of a suggestion like this that I can think of is replacement rope for log bundling.  Sheet Rope and Ripped Sheets are far too common in my opinion for plastic bottle cordage to be very useful for that application (or at least too time-consuming to be valuable in an emergency situation).  You would essentially be cutting up plastic bottles with a knife and braiding them, so it wouldn't be a very fast process.  I like the idea though.

While we're at it I think it would be neat if you were able to braid Twine into legitimate Rope.  It would also be nice if you could also use Wire as a replacement for rope in all applications.  It would also be nice if Rope could double as Sheet Rope for exiting windows.

The guy that invented the tool said you could catch up to 2 pound fish with it, and I also watched a video were it showed someone using this to bind sticks, then putting it just above a fire to heat it up, causing it to contract and form a tighter bond.

You can make cord from clothing, while this might be something a carpenter level 5 might know, your basic person? Not so much, you also need a specific tool to cut it to length. On top of which you have to use the right kind of bottle, if the shape isn't flat on the side the cord might be cut in the wrong way leaving you without a cord.

This could be a useful skill, but in the game it's very easily overshadowed by the renewable resources zombies pose. 

I'd rather a topic of turning clothing into string, and etc. With this being added only as fluff really.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎17 at 11:41 PM, Deuce said:

It would also be nice if Rope could double as Sheet Rope for exiting windows.

Last time I made the mistake of having some ropes in my inventory while placing sheetropes, they could.  Thankfully you use sheetropes first, but when they are gone you use normal ropes (at least way back when...).  It may be that it was removed, or not, I don't know.  I've never made that mistake again.

Edited by MyTJ