Inventory - too much space

Tony_Travesi

Hi, so i wake up in the morning you see is zombie apocalypse so you grab everything what you can carry from home and run away. ok how come you can run away with full fridge, 5 sheets, baseball bat, golfclub when you carry only plastic bag?

i tried - its impossible. you have two pocket in your jeans (you can put bottle in back one but walking is harder :P) , maybe one in hoodie, you have backpack (everyone does)where you can pack yourself for two days and that`s it.

My point is that carrying by points its bit unrealistic. I know there are two types of solutions in game - weight or space, but both of them are not real. you should have two pockets where you can put 10 shells (not hundred 160 or 140) some spare space in hoodie, under the belt for food, baseball to hand, knife somewhere and the run away.

That will make game much harder (i know many people will hate me for this post) but challenge is good :).at least option to setup pockets and separate items so i can put to schoolbag sledgehammer would be really nice.

Just simply separate items for let say 4 categories and either you grab it either you leave it if you don`t have big enough backpack.

Yeah! While we're at it, let's get rid of the zombies and replace them with rabid dogs set in medieval Europe before the rabies vaccine was invented!  That's more realistic, right?

What I say to most people who complain about a game mechanic like this is if you want a challenge, do it yourself or make a mod for it.  If you can't make mods, then you can still pretend that you only have a limited amount of space in your inventory.  The game mechanics are there to make the game playable, if it was just like real life, then you may as well go outside and meet the big demon fireball in the sky people call the "Sun."  This is why game day cycles are short, so we can experience night and day with only a little bit of our time spent.

On another note, I'm pretty sure there are some anti-perks that makes you carry less.

Any way you choose, it's up to you to have fun and set your own goals.

Cheers, (sorry for sounding like an a-hole)

lol i said many people will hate it. Don`t worry Daveks its common opinion, i just disagree with making mods by yourself - Suggestions part of forum means that you can suggest - what is more, you can show some modder what to do (i work with Programist and i know that the hardest to get is an idea). I don`t complain about mechanic, i really like it to be honest, just try to make it more hardcore. Of course game need to be playable that`s why i mention to do this kind of Option.For me sometimes this game i bit to easy and start to be boring and that would spicy up the challenge (i believe i`m not the only one who can play challenging game).

Offtopic

(i work with Programist and i know that the hardest to get is an idea)

I can heartily assure you this is not true... everyone gets ideas. Only people who can execute those ideas make the ideas worth something.

Edit: offtopic tags still broken, yay. I guess the lesson is, don't go off topic kids!

Why there is field in forum for suggestions? you have an idea make, do not share it with other. its about everything, raincoats, guns, mechanic. if someone has an idea should make mod and give to people is that what you say guys? Its mean that Suggestion field in Forum is useless. Or  you just want to blame idea straight away because you are afraid that someone actually will make it? Anyway i give up.

Hi, so i wake up in the morning you see is zombie apocalypse so you grab everything what you can carry from home and run away. ok how come you can run away with full fridge, 5 sheets, baseball bat, golfclub when you carry only plastic bag?

i tried - its impossible. you have two pocket in your jeans (you can put bottle in back one but walking is harder :P) , maybe one in hoodie, you have backpack (everyone does)where you can pack yourself for two days and that`s it.

My point is that carrying by points its bit unrealistic. I know there are two types of solutions in game - weight or space, but both of them are not real. you should have two pockets where you can put 10 shells (not hundred 160 or 140) some spare space in hoodie, under the belt for food, baseball to hand, knife somewhere and the run away.

That will make game much harder (i know many people will hate me for this post) but challenge is good :).at least option to setup pockets and separate items so i can put to schoolbag sledgehammer would be really nice.

Just simply separate items for let say 4 categories and either you grab it either you leave it if you don`t have big enough backpack.

You realize the great thing about this game is no one is forcing you to use bags. If you would rather play it this way with a much more limited inventory capacity, by all means do it. Some of us like to use the bags available.

I don't really find it that realistic to be honest. You can cram stuff in your pants, tuck things into your shoes, etc.

You do have to understand that this is not a reality simulator. Some things must be given up for the sake of making it a game. So while, yes, this might make it a wee bit more realistic, the amount it detracts from gameplay would not make it a worthwhile thing for the main game in my opinion.

Now, as to the other thing: 

Its mean that Suggestion field in Forum is useless.

Just because people don't like your idea doesn't mean the Suggestions sub-forum is useless. There are many great ideas out there. But that doesn't mean that every single thing in suggestions is a fantastic idea that will be put in the game tomorrow. So, try not to take it personally if people don't agree with what you suggest.

PZ will never be 100% realistic in this regard for the sake of gameplay, but we do have plans for rebalancing encumbrance at some point :)

Thank you. making things easier and easier for gameplay will end the same as Diablo 3, when they hit the ground and notice that is not fun for people anymore because its to easy they start to spicy up things but it was already too late.

Rathlord thank you for your opinion, i decided anyway to make mod to remove that big inventory, so you will have just backpack, pockets and bare hands (it will take some time cause i have no idea even where to start but will happen eventually ;) )

All I know is that after reading this suggestion, I now want to be able to craft a gigantic bag out of a sheet and a pole. :D

:D damn it.

...and trolley. After we will have beggar profession with perks like awful smell to scare zombies, that would be hmm confusing, be a beggar in zombie apocalypse.

I think it's fine as it is because being totally realistic in this respect would make it much much more difficult for players to even enjoy the game. They won't be able to hold a roast chicken in their non-bag inventory.

But I think it'd be interesting if the rebalancing for the encumbrance introduced both a varying grid-based inventory to account for space in addition to the current weight values.

But I think it'd be interesting if the rebalancing for the encumbrance introduced both a varying grid-based inventory to account for space in addition to the current weight values.

This has been discussed previously and iirc the devs were somewhat opposing it.

PZ will never be 100% realistic in this regard for the sake of gameplay, but we do have plans for rebalancing encumbrance at some point :)

Thank you. making things easier and easier for gameplay will end the same as Diablo 3, when they hit the ground and notice that is not fun for people anymore because its to easy they start to spicy up things but it was already too late.

Rathlord thank you for your opinion, i decided anyway to make mod to remove that big inventory, so you will have just backpack, pockets and bare hands (it will take some time cause i have no idea even where to start but will happen eventually ;) )

I don't think what you posted is the biggest concern about the encumbrance system.

Right now if you want to drop something from your bags, first you have to place it in your main inventory. But in real life it doesn't work that way, you can just open your bag, turn it upside down and let stuff fall out of it.

When I am traveling I can easily put a bag on my back, and another one on my chest, and I can also fit smaller bags and pockets on my belt. I can even run, though some bags tend to wobble around so some of your stuff will be mixed up in the bags. That's one week of laundry, magazines, water, food, knives, plus smaller survivalist stuff that don't take up much space. Needless to say I can only run a few kilometres, and I am vulnerable to any attack, since my centre of weight is way higher.

In game you have to grab the second bag with one of your hands, and if you want three bags, you must sacrifice carrying a weapon.

I don't think what you posted is the biggest concern about the encumbrance system.

Right now if you want to drop something from your bags, first you have to place it in your main inventory. But in real life it doesn't work that way, you can just open your bag, turn it upside down and let stuff fall out of it.

When I am traveling I can easily put a bag on my back, and another one on my chest, and I can also fit smaller bags and pockets on my belt. I can even run, though some bags tend to wobble around so some of your stuff will be mixed up in the bags. That's one week of laundry, magazines, water, food, knives, plus smaller survivalist stuff that don't take up much space. Needless to say I can only run a few kilometres, and I am vulnerable to any attack, since my centre of weight is way higher.

In game you have to grab the second bag with one of your hands, and if you want three bags, you must sacrifice carrying a weapon.

This make perfect sens to me. To be clear - i fully understand that it is not possible to do perfectly realistic game. What is more, i`m not complaining about mechanic in PZ, i actually think that comparing to other games its really good. What i`m trying to say that some of the items in the game are not perfectly balanced. In my humble opinion (maybe this will work i don`t know i didn`t check it at all) it will be worth to consider that that items should be split to 4 categories (XL, X, M, S) and some of the items (like logs or sledgehammers) should be restricted from some bags. It would make more sens to me (i understand that this is a lot of work and maybe, probably is impossible) that you have two pockets (with let say space like 3/4) hoodie will have a pocket (like 5 - is big bigger) and also bags which you can carry in hand or on back. and some item like shells can be put anywhere but bat cannot be put to the pocket. The advantage of this idea is that will give a lot more options (like putting shells to left pocket when you are right handed will affect speed of reloading,   when you find bag of concrete and sledgehammer (both to keep in hand) you have to choose what is more important for you etc), and what is more important it will be impossible that when you are starting the game (when there is almost no zombies around), you loot as much as possible - the hardest places (like police station) with just plastic bag and schoolbag. This will give challenge from start when you have space like around 10 at all and is not possible to grab 3 planks when you find them unless to bare hands. 

What you don't realise is the game is set in the Threepwood universe ;-)

I'm sure there will be a mod to modify the inventory to a grid Deus-Ex style (which I think may actually be better - I would try but I wouldn't know where to start...).

:D yeah that would be scary. btw 5lvl of carpentry scares the sh(ee)t out of me - good job 2am headphones and something like that :D

I understand where you're coming from, Tony_Travesi.  I used to think that games should be much more realistic in order to enjoy them, but the fact of the matter is that the reason we play games is to not be completely confined to realism.  There is in fact a phrase used to describe the current inv. system, it's called "hammer space."  Hammer space is a common and useful feature for video games and animation alike, it essentially allows a character to escape the physical confines of reality.  Now, for certain games, such as a war simulator, hammer space is not used, but not because it's not realistic, it is not used because it is not needed.  In a game like PZ, hammer space is used because a main mechanic of the game is looting, and running away from zeds.  War games don't use looting as a mechanic, so that's why hammer space is not needed.  Look at other successful zombie games, or any other game for that matter, like Dead Rising or LoZ, they use hammer space but are immensely fun to play.  Sure, making it more realistic might make the game a little bit harder in the beginning to loot stuff, but let's say you want to start building something and can only carry one log at a time; it will go from being a challenge to obnoxious before you can bat an eye.  Or let's say you have your main base be overrun with zeds, but you can only take a handful of items with, and when you want to go back to get the rest of your stuff, you must start from scratch to get the weapons needed to fight off the hoard.  

I just don't think that the inv. system is what is making the game "too easy," but a whole slew of things that will be balanced in time.  I hope this makes sense to you.

Like I said earlier, you can make up your own challenges too, like only carry one weapon at a time or don't use carry bags, or only keep up to five items in your main inv. at a time.  Look up the Nuzzlocke challenge for Poke'mon or the Legacy challenge for the Sims; there are plenty of community challenges out there for you to try.  This is good because it gives you the challenge that you crave, lets you build up a community around this challenge, and lets the developers work on stuff that will benefit the whole over the few.

Daveks i fully agree with you. It make perfect sens to me, i decide to write about this in first place thinking more like an tick box in options, that you can turn on this kind of game mode and try yourself. I understand that this cannot sacrifice normal game play but when this option will appear this will give some players (i mean not newbies but ppl who play in this game for long time) new challenge and will be again more interesting. How long we play in one game, week, month, couple months, year? It depends if this game will give you new challenges. I know is not urgent at all on this stage where game is, but i thought it will be worth to mention that after two months when helicopters event stop and there are just gunshots it start to be hmm stable (i`m not saying boring because if you are bored find a zombie :) ),