Steam Beta Release - 07th Oct 2013 - Interim Build

lemmy101

So I flipped to the interim 64 bit only beta, but got the exact same memory error I had before on my MacBook, crash before the game actually starts (post 'This is How You Died').  So I can't really judge on the 32bit v 64bit issue.

I think I can support 64bit though:

$ java -d64 -versionjava version "1.6.0_51"Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-457-11M4509)Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-457, mixed mode)

we've yet to get mac behaving with 64bit, we'll get there :)

UPDATE:

Hey just wanted to update the devs, I had a problem a couple weeks ago with 64 bit intel graphics ( http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1781-steam-version-game-crashes-2-5-sec-after-startup/ )

just wanted to let you know the new beta build in steam is working, i can finally play  :-D

Yep that's because what you had was the memory problems due to 32bit / intel combo, which is why we're having to go down the 3D route we are and this interim build is limited to 64bit :) Glad it's working for you!

Looks like a load error. Send us your save in a zip (zip the directory from c:\Users\<Username>\Zomboid\<gamemode>\ and then try a new game in meantime?

New game works.

Where can I send the save?

PM me and RobertJohnson a link to a dropbox or something?

Any way to access and check this out if you're not a Steam user?  (Yes, yes I know, "Do such creatures exist?!!")

Nope, the test builds are Steam only because of the ease of distribution. Desura will be updated once there's a new stable build out.

Any way to access and check this out if you're not a Steam user?  (Yes, yes I know, "Do such creatures exist?!!")

I'd like to think that Desura will be looking into supporting multiple branches at some point, it's certainly something I've mentioned to them a few times as a 'must have feature' imo, but until that happens sadly we can't offer non-stable / non-official builds through Desura without risking destroying people's versions, or worse their saves. And doing manual direct downloads costs us way more than we can afford atm.

Can't get into the game.. the loading screens show up but when the game should load there is a black screen of death until i eventually click all over and the game finally crashes.  The music does change as though you entered the game.

(tried starting new world several times)

In Options, set shaders to "no" and Video Memory to "Low."

Can't get into the game.. the loading screens show up but when the game should load there is a black screen of death until i eventually click all over and the game finally crashes.  The music does change as though you entered the game.

Setting the shaders off did the trick, (thank you), but the game now jitters and stutters like crazy..  the framerate claims to be 60-80 at all times but it clearly isn't.

After turning shaders off the menu says that the hardware doesn't support them.  I have an nVidia GTX 590.  are the 2 GPUs a problem?  The game used to run perfectly fine but I used to run it in 32 bit mode.

Setting the shaders off did the trick, (thank you), but the game now jitters and stutters like crazy..  the framerate claims to be 60-80 at all times but it clearly isn't.

After turning shaders off the menu says that the hardware doesn't support them.  I have an nVidia GTX 590.  are the 2 GPUs a problem?  The game used to run perfectly fine but I used to run it in 32 bit mode.

Once we make sure its running on everyone's machines, we'll get to things like stutter/shader issues. It's a separate branch of the game that has largely gone untested for a few weeks due to the lack of releases and due to the 3D work that's been going on, so some initial bumps are to be expected.

I have SLI 560s here and shaders work, so I'm fairly sure that's not the problem. 

Once we make sure its running on everyone's machines, we'll get to things like stutter/shader issues. It's a separate branch of the game that has largely gone untested for a few weeks due to the lack of releases and due to the 3D work that's been going on, so some initial bumps are to be expected.

I have SLI 560s here and shaders work, so I'm fairly sure that's not the problem. 

Cool, no worries.  Thanks and I look forward to playing again soon.

You know what I like? I'm not sure if it's been there for a while now or was an addition, BUT...

Zombies, now when they hear/see something, they don't instantly go there. FIRST - they turn to the direction of the interest, and then they go. I've been sneaking past a couple of zeddos now, and about 40% of them, before going at me, first turned to look. THAT, was something awesome to feel. I like the direction PZ is going.

Cannot even run it. ;/
The beta works fine to me, but the interim build doesn't even start. It runs the command prompt then crashes.

I run a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop with Nvidia Geforce GT540m, so it should run fine, doesn't it?

EDIT: Got it to work, just had to download Java 64-bit. My fault. ^^

So yeah. Tried running it but it won't launch, wrong OS/platform.

At least the previous build is available in the list. ^_^

Can you be more specific?

Sure. Starting it from Steam pops up this message.

"Failed to start game (unknown error)

See the steam support site for more information"

(this is the link)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8676-EFLX-7453&l=english

Then, I tried launching ProjectZomboid32.exe directly from the pz folder in Steam. This message pops up from Windows itself, not Steam.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\ProjectZomboid32.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

My performance has gone from mostly great to really, really bad with the interim build. Constant hitching, music skipping, sound effect distortion.. the works. Game usually crashes without any kind of error report, just shuts down.

I'm running a GTX 580 with 8gb RAM @1600mhz and a 2700k.

Checked my resources while running the game, and my CPU usage is spiking crazy high. Like hitting 90% at times which I've never even seen happen outside of stress testing with Prime 95.

Switched back to the previous beta version and everything is smooth again.

EDIT - redownloaded the interim build and it's not quite as bad now. Still pretty bad, but playable. My CPU usage still seems inordinately high but it's not maxing out anymore. That was... strange.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\ProjectZomboid32.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Could you elaborate on what OS (version, 32/64bit) you have?

What was the requirement for the beta again?  I have Windows 7 64 bit with a GeForce GTX 660 TI and my game doesn't even launch interim.

You need 32-bit Java installed for normal beta, and 64-bit Java for the interim build.

Could you elaborate on what OS (version, 32/64bit) you have?

What was the requirement for the beta again?  I have Windows 7 64 bit with a GeForce GTX 660 TI and my game doesn't even launch interim.

You need 32-bit Java installed for normal beta, and 64-bit Java for the interim build.

Pretty sure I have both installed but I'll check again.  Would re-installing possibly help?

edit - Re-installing the 64 bit version fixed what ever the problem was.  To clarify I did have the latest version but no idea why my game wouldn't launch before.

e - Is it normal I'm experiencing performance issues with this test client?  Not complaining or anything because clearly it's a test but just curious to know if I'm the only one.

Could anyone give advise if I should try it on this system:

Sistema operativo
            Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
        CPU
            Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz    31 °C
            Conroe 65nm Tecnología
        RAM
            4,00GB único-Canal DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-4-4-14)
        Placa base
            Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-73VM-S2 (Socket 775)    25 °C
        Gráfica
            M237WD (1920x1080@60Hz)
            1024MBNVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (Gigabyte)    25 °C
        Discos duros
            233GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA)    29 °C
            298GB SAMSUNG HD322HJ ATA Device (SATA)    19 °C
        Unidades ópticas
            HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L ATA Device
        Audio
            NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

same here

hmm i cant find the 64bit launcher only the 32bit one. I get into game and it becomes choppy i turned every thing down. Nothing helped i tried to walk outside i crashed to desktop no error i could see because it crashes.

Windows 7 64-bit, Both 32 and 64 bit Java Intel 2330, AMD sapphire 6870 2gb Vram,. 8GB(2x4) of gskill DDR3 at 1600mhz. I really cant wait to get my good pc back.........................

Anyway guessing that i am one of the few that will not be able to play this build. Makes me sad but o well them are the breaks.

Could anyone give advise if I should try it on this system:

Sistema operativo

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz    31 °C

Conroe 65nm Tecnología

RAM

4,00GB único-Canal DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-4-4-14)

Placa base

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-73VM-S2 (Socket 775)    25 °C

Gráfica

M237WD (1920x1080@60Hz)

1024MBNVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (Gigabyte)    25 °C

Discos duros

233GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA)    29 °C

298GB SAMSUNG HD322HJ ATA Device (SATA)    19 °C

Unidades ópticas

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L ATA Device

Audio

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 => should not work by the look of it, as the OP states that only 64bit systems are likely to run this build.

I tried to run it on linux 32bit and the game launched, but when i started a game i got stuck on a black screen with a bunch of null pointer exceptions (linked to texture something) ; can't say if this error is linked to linux or 32 bit or both though.