Steam Beta Release - 07th Oct 2013 - Interim Build

lemmy101

Right, so here's the score. First the bad news:

32bit system people with intel or some ATI cards are unfortunately out of luck until we get the 3D geometry system complete and in.

:(

Sorry, but there is literally nothing we can realistically do to get the memory budget down until we get the 3D stuff finished, and while you may be fine with a good meaty graphic card with a ton of dedicated memory, we cannot guarantee any 32bit system will be able to run the build.

We cannot currently use the dodgy compressed textures as planned, as there is no masking so mouse click detection cannot work without a whole system being written for it. And to write such a system would be massively wasted work since it would be invalidated once we complete the 3D system (and the time necessary to do that would be better spent getting that finished)

We'll get a build up as soon as we can, on Steam beta builds. IMPORTANT: If you run the steam beta build on a 32bit system, it would be advised to either back up the files in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid, or to disable automatic updates in Steam, so you don't get a version you're unable to play.

We'll keep you all posted!

<3

Info from Mac people on the plausibility of a 64bit java on your system would be lovely, as it seems to be an assumption in all the installer makers and executable generators we have that it will be 32bit. If Mac people are left out in the cold with the next build we can only apologize but if 64bit java is a no goer then there's not a lot we can do about it. Hopefully the 3D stuff will be finished early next week.

I'm confused- why would 64-bit Java be a problem for OS X? Minecraft runs 64-bit every time I launch it (standard).

Because anything remotely related to making mac builds, install4j and other similar things, all seem to have 32/64 options for windows and linux and only 32bit for mac, as well as all the code we were given by Puppy Games to aid us in building cross platform builds, and I know that the Java stuff for Mac is a little historically odd with regard to being distributed with the OS and stuff. I'm not saying it'll deffo be a problem, just it might turn out to be one since we've never set out to make a mac 64 bit build where we have with the other platforms and it makes me nervous.

If it works for you then that's awesome, business as usual :)

uh-oh. I have Windows XP. :cry:

I hope my graphic card and CPU can take it.

(Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz and nvidia GTX 560)

I will still download it and provide feedback. *crosses fingers*

Card sounds good to me. You may well be able to scrape thru if you're on nvidia. No promises. We will make sure to distribute both 32/64 versions together so everyone's free to give it a shot.

uh-oh. I have Windows XP. :cry:

I hope my graphic card and CPU can take it.

(Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz and nvidia GTX 560)

I will still download it and provide feedback. *crosses fingers*

Card sounds good to me. You may well be able to scrape thru if you're on nvidia. No promises.

It's alright. If I go down, I'll take the bullet like a man. :cool:

If this is the current Steam Beta (opt into beta, no compatibility mode), then it's a no-go on my MacBook running 10.7.5.  Crash to Desktop after the "This Is How You Died" screen, with a Bad Exec / Malloc ending in:

Current thread (000000000509c000):  JavaThread "main" [_thread_in_native, id=-1332187136, stack(00000000b0187000,00000000b0987000)]
Stack: [00000000b0187000,00000000b0987000]
Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
j  org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.nglGetTexImage(IIIIJJ)V+0
j  org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGetTexImage(IIIILjava/nio/ByteBuffer;)V+48
j  zombie.core.textures.TextureID.getData()Lzombie/core/utils/WrappedBuffer;+34
J  zombie.core.textures.Mask.<init>(Lzombie/interfaces/ITexture;)V

Right, so here's the score. First the bad news:

Right so where is the good news?!?!?

Hehe im just kidding.

Plz Plz Plz don't rush the engine upgrade! We have seen the issues that happen when that is done(TDL :( ) Just take your time and ignore the people wanting it done 5 mins ago.

If i lose the ability to play the game for a few weeks so be it. I know as soon as you can it will be fixed.

I do miss your CK II streams i hope work lets you do it again sometime soon :)

:D well the good news is there will be an interim build. I know you're kidding but worth pointing that out. It will likely be a Mondoid beta release at this rate, and we may make a separate branch for it, so those who cannot run it could stick with the current beta build.

re: CKII stream, one day :D probably post Steam at this rate.

Just wondering, so does this means the "minimum requirements" for the game are going up?

It was only going borderline playable for me before (Pentium Dualcore 2.3Ghz, Intel® 4 series express chipset, Windows 7 64bit). I had to run it on "low" graphics, without the nice lighting and everything. :mad:

Is this "beefy" graphics card requirement just for the time being, or should I start looking for a new laptop? lol :cry:

Just wondering, so does this means the "minimum requirements" for the game are going up?

It was only going borderline playable for me before (Pentium Dualcore 2.3Ghz, Intel® 4 series express chipset, Windows 7 64bit). I had to run it on "low" graphics, without the nice lighting and everything. :mad:

Is this "beefy" graphics card requirement just for the time being, or should I start looking for a new laptop? lol :cry:

The engine overhaul was actually done to increase performance.

Right now your poor CPU is doing all of the work, with the upcoming graphics engine update a lot of it will be offloaded to your GPU, but the amount of work required is still fairly low even for an older GPU. There is hope for a performance increase and not a minimum requirements increase.

Right now your poor CPU is doing all of the work, with the upcoming graphics engine update a lot of it will be offloaded to your GPU, but the amount of work required is still fairly low even for an older GPU. There is hope for a performance increase and not a minimum requirements increase.

The thing is, my CPU is better than my GPU, haha. My concern is that my bad GPU will now be forced to run PZ for me, instead of my capable CPU.

PS: Plz correct me if I'm wrong about my CPU being better than my GPU. My graphics card is a fairly old integrated intel chipset, while my CPU is a pentium-dual core (2.30ghz).

The thing is, my CPU is better than my GPU, haha. My concern is that my bad GPU will now be forced to run PZ for me, instead of my capable CPU.

PS: Plz correct me if I'm wrong about my CPU being better than my GPU. My graphics card is a fairly old integrated intel chipset.

That is not how things work necessarily. Simplified explanation: the CPU can just tell the GPU, "Hey figure out how to draw this scene", and get on with its CPU stuff while the GPU does the drawing. Thus more work gets done in total. Especially since a GPU is much, much faster at figuring out how a 3D scene is drawn than a CPU, even if the GPU in question happens to be relatively slow compared to more modern GPUs.