How do you heal yourself and deal with sadness, boredom, etc?

mikey

Question

I just started the game yesterday and am playing the regular Steam version.  Within a few days of starting my characters are always sad, bored, in agony, etc.  I figured out how to make bandages and apply them but that only helps scratches and stuff.  Once the broken bone icon comes up saying I need first aid I'm usually screwed as i can't figure out how to do it.  Also, my chracter slowly worsens over time in pain to agony etc.  I don't see how to stop this either.  Finally sadness and boredom, how do you take of these?

EDIT: One more thing.  My weapons don't seem to last very long at all.  Is there a way to increase durability or repair them?

5 answers to this question

Heya!

First of all, welcome to PZ and the PZ forums, we're glad to have ya.

Now, the questions:

1) Sad - Happens when you eat uncooked food, especially some specifics like TV dinners. Can be rectified by eating chocolate and other such things that improve mood.

2) Bored - Happens when you're indoor often, don't fight zombies much, and aren't doing much of anything. Can be rectified by going out and doing things, reading newspapers, books, and the like.

3) Agony - Happens when you're wounded. This can be treated with Painkillers, or will go away naturally as your wounds heal.

4) Damage - You can see your current damage on the health screen. It's the bar on the right. When you have an open wound or are sick it goes down steadily, causing agony as well as other symptoms. It can be mitigated by keeping the "well fed" buff on and getting lots of rest until you get better.

5) Some weapons don't last very long. That's one of the things that's being balanced frequently, and some are actually getting better durability in the next patch.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask or PM me any time. Cheers!

I got home and loaded up my game and the screen is completely black.  I could see the UI just fine, and could move around despite not being able to see anything.  After a bit the graphics popped back up.  However, I found myself outside my safehouse, as if I had walked through the wall, as there were no doors open.  Then I went back inside my house and noticed the place where the fridge had been was blank and thus all my food had disappeared.  I'm assuming this is a bug? 

I think somehow I may have walked through the fridge while the screen was black, causing it to disappear.  Anyway just wanted to throw that out there in case it isn't a known issue.  Gonna start a new file and give all these tips and tricks a go!  Thanks again for the info!

EDIT: After reading a bit more on the forums I see the black screen issue is already known so discard that.