Cosmetic (and a little fuctional) add-on ideas

PZ Mania

Here is a list of my suggestions... I don't really know if I should divide them into groups and make multiple threads. I would like to get lots of feedback - both positive and negative - as long as insults aren't included.

I know its a very long list of suggestions, but in my opinion, some of them are pretty nice ideas for the current game.

1. Different character sprites for different body traits. (Obese, overweight, underweight.)

- I understand this is too much work for too little outcome. (Because of different clothing and upcoming updates.) But it is one of my most wanted suggestion... :P

2. Changing primary/secondary hand to right/left hand.

- During character creation, the player has an option to choose between right-handed and left-handed.

- Depending on the player's main hand, a wound to that specific hand/arm will have more penalties than wounds to the other hand/arm.

- Holding a weapon can be done in either both hands, main hand or sub hand, with best to worst weapon performance in that order. (This will affect gameplay during injuries/amputation.)

3. Ability to sit down - on the ground, on chairs, on benches and on beds. 

- (With a 1 second delay for both sitting down and getting up.)

- Sitting down will replace resting and will have the same effect but with animation.

- Sitting on the ground will have the minimum effect with beds having the maximum effect.

4. Ability to lie down - on the ground and on beds. 

- (With a 2-3 seconds delay for both lying down and getting up.)

- Lying down will replace sleeping and will have the same effect but with animation.

- Lying on the ground will have the minimum effect with beds having the maximum effect.

- Waking up will make the screen blurry for about 5 seconds. (From the black screen)

5. Push-able objects - such as shopping carts, trolleys, strollers and wheelchairs.

- Can carry lots of items with reasonable speed but with a lot of noise. (Loudness is proportional to the weight of items in the object.)

- Wheelchairs can be used as a future vehicle for survivors with leg amputation or leg fracture.

6. Sprites for bags - for equipping on the back, in primary and in secondary.

- Different sprites for each bag.

7. Sprites for carrying heavy objects - such as generators and corpses.

- Different sprites for each object. 

8. Sprites for character's injuries - scratches, bites, wounds and deep wounds.

- Different sprites for each wound on each part of the body and a different moving sprite for fractures. (This helps in multiplayer for doctors/nurses to be able to immediately take action.) 

- Sprites for bandaged wounds and a different moving sprite for splinted limbs.

- Sprites for dirty bandaged wounds.

- Blood stains on clothes when worn above the wounds. 

9. Sprites for blood stains on clothes. (Similar to blood stains on the walls and the floors.)

- Blood stains on clothes from fighting zombies.

- Blood stains can be removed from clothes in a similar way to removing them from walls and floors.

10. Craft-able and loot-able items to avoid getting wet. (From the rain.)

- Umbrellas that can be found as a rare item and makeshift umbrellas. 

- Both umbrellas can only be used while holding in either primary or secondary. Holding them will reduce walking/running speed and have view penalties.

- Raincoats that can be found as a rare item and makeshift raincoats.

- Both raincoats can only be used while wearing. Wearing them will reduce walking/running speed and have view penalties.

- All four items will reduce durability for time spent in the rain while holding/wearing them. The amount of durability from highest to lowest - umbrella, raincoat, makeshift umbrella, makeshift raincoat.

- Umbrellas and raincoats cannot be repaired but makeshift umbrellas and raincoats can be.

- All four items will only increase the time for each stage of getting wet. The amount of time increased from highest to lowest - raincoat, makeshift raincoat, umbrella, makeshift umbrella.

11. Decreased running speed while walking/running in the rain or on snow. 

- Rain boots can be found as a rare item to be able to walk/run at normal speed in the rain.

- Snow boots can be found as a rare item to be able to walk/run at normal speed on snow.

12. Rename-able clothing.

- Some of us like to collect different colors of clothing for cosmetic reasons, and being able to rename our clothing would be a nice add-on.

- This feature would also remove the stacking of clothing, which would make it easier to see the color of each clothing.

Thanks for reading, and again, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Please let me know if there are any suggestions that have been mentioned before, and/or if they have been either approved or declined by the developers already.

Cheers.

Edited by PZ Mania
Already W.I.P.

Hello and welcome to the forums!

1.  As far as I know, game moves from sprites for characters to 3d models, so... Well, I don't know much else. :P 
  2. Changing primary hands would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it worth making new animations. But, I suspect, injury already affect body parts.
  3. Probably, already planned/developing.
  4. Probably, already planned/developing.
  5. Probably, already planned.
  6. Already W.I.P. http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/05/zombo-baggins/
  7. Probably, planned?
  8. Probably, W.I.P.
  9. http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/07/you-got-red-on-you/
  10. Would be very nice to have these things in.
  11. I thought it was already in, and what's that? :)

I may be wrong, if so, please correct me.

Edited by Keshash

1 hour ago, Keshash said:

Hello and welcome to the forums!

1.  As far as I know, game moves from sprites for characters to 3d models, so... Well, I don't know much else. :P 
  2. Changing primary hands would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it worth making new animations. But, I suspect, injury already affect body parts.
  3. Probably, already planned/developing.
  4. Probably, already planned/developing.
  5. Probably, already planned.
  6. Already W.I.P. http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/05/zombo-baggins/
  7. Probably, planned?
  8. Probably, W.I.P.
  9. http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/07/you-got-red-on-you/
  10. Would be very nice to have these things in.
  11. I thought it was already in, what's that? :)

I may be wrong, if so, please correct me.

WOW, thanks for the feedback. My suggestions are purely based on the build that I am currently playing on. (Which is probably the default. I didn't change any version after buying/installing it.)

I guess I should remove the ones that are already W.I.P.

Again, thanks a lot. Any further feedback is appreciated.

Just a few quick additions, as well as a welcome to the forum, ideas are always welcome, though learning to mod PZ and make your own additions might interest you equally, given the amount of ideas you seem to be generating in a relatively short time.

Animation work in general - very time expensive to do character modeling, and not without potential difficulties. While I agree with practically every suggestion you have in terms of "wish list" material; I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have a fun game than a fancy looking one. I certainly wouldn't mind having the ability to sleep on the ground, as well as use objects in the world to sit on to rest, but these things would certainly be a lot more work than you might realize. (The items don't appear to be intended to be actually sat or laid on, when they were made based on what I've seen. It certainly doesn't appear to be planned as far as the new animations in conjunction with the recent 2x graphic update.) 

#10, one of the comments that RJ has made in the past (if I remember correctly) is how relatively easy it would be to code in an item like a raincoat. But, then that also affects the game's current balance of "bad weather" slowdowns. It would effectively nullify part of the game, without any real disadvantage. Some mods, like Hydrocraft, allows for raincoats and the like, so that might interest you.

#12, with new animation build, WHEN it is in, (currently not even in IWBMS) you'll have a larger variety of clothes to choose from, but being able to name clothing might actually not be a bad idea.

6 hours ago, makkenhoff said:

Just a few quick additions, as well as a welcome to the forum, ideas are always welcome, though learning to mod PZ and make your own additions might interest you equally, given the amount of ideas you seem to be generating in a relatively short time.

Animation work in general - very time expensive to do character modeling, and not without potential difficulties. While I agree with practically every suggestion you have in terms of "wish list" material; I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have a fun game than a fancy looking one. I certainly wouldn't mind having the ability to sleep on the ground, as well as use objects in the world to sit on to rest, but these things would certainly be a lot more work than you might realize. (The items don't appear to be intended to be actually sat or laid on, when they were made based on what I've seen. It certainly doesn't appear to be planned as far as the new animations in conjunction with the recent 2x graphic update.) 

#10, one of the comments that RJ has made in the past (if I remember correctly) is how relatively easy it would be to code in an item like a raincoat. But, then that also affects the game's current balance of "bad weather" slowdowns. It would effectively nullify part of the game, without any real disadvantage. Some mods, like Hydrocraft, allows for raincoats and the like, so that might interest you.

#12, with new animation build, WHEN it is in, (currently not even in IWBMS) you'll have a larger variety of clothes to choose from, but being able to name clothing might actually not be a bad idea.

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Yes, it is true that having a fun game and having a fancy looking one is quite different. But for some of us, a fancy looking game can be a fun one. Especially for those of us who like to role-play in multiplayer or just want some time to hang out with friends and chat around a little fireplace. I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to making games or adding new features. (Which is why I am not familiar with mods and such.) I have almost no idea how much work needs to be put into for each idea.

Speaking about items like raincoats and umbrellas, they can be a nice add-on which gives us a choice. While some of us will be lucky enough to find one, others will have to make a choice - will they take the time and effort to craft one, which will not only have speed/view penalties, but also occupy a secondary slot; will they spend that time to do whatever they need to do in the rain while risking the cold; or will they just wait it out in their safehouses. I cannot disagree that there isn't any real disadvantage, but when there already is an ourdoorsman perk and towels to dry ourselves with, I don't think there is any real advantage either.

Yes, I am very looking forward to the larger variety of clothing to choose from. I have recently seen screenshots of the new player models, and I have to say, I am going to love it.