Diversity in Injury

Okamikurainya

So far we have:
Scratched
Bitten
Deep Wound

Burned

Fractured

As well as "Bleeding" tied to the first three.

I suggest adding:

Bruised

When getting hit with a blunt weapon such as a baseball bat or taking a lot of damage in one go from a "Zombie Punch". This wound hurts quite a bit though won't cause any damage over time. Can be treated with cataplasm and a bandage to make it heal faster.

Sprained

Similar to Fractured though lasting for a far shorter time. I don't know about you but jumping from the second storey has never caused me a fracture. Considering we're getting weight based effects from falling, I think this is the perfect time to incorporate this wound type.

Fractured (Arm)

Same as a normal fracture but applied to the arm and requires a "sling". Can be caused by being hit by heavy blunt weapon trauma.

Cauterized

A self inflicted wound, similar to a burn but not lasting as long. Done to avoid bleeding with a lighter or propane torch though does a good chunk of damage and causes a lot of pain. I guess this could also be a simple switch out of a bleeding wound and a burn too.

Splinter

Doesn't damage your HP but causes pain whilst you have it. Can use tweezers to remove it. Caused by carpentry actions at a low skill, baseball bat/axe breaking while equipped.

Any other suggestions? What y'all think?

Edited by Okamikurainya

8 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

I like cauterized but with that one it would probably give you "Agony" instantly because i dont know if you've ever been burned, but a toaster burn hurts like hell by just tapping it, i can't imagine what putting a flame on your wound would be like.

Totally, though really bad burns you don't feel at all apparently. My friend is a goldsmith and he's had a number of times that he and his classmates back in college simply didn't realize they were burning themselves.

Wounds

Amputation

Either self inflicted (such as cutting off bitten hand) or inflicted by a weapon, you lose the limb and suffer from severe bleeding.

Animal Bite

Like zombie bite, except caused by animals once introduces (Feral dogs, feral cats, wolves, etc.)

Back Pain

You have pain and have reduced wight capacity, happens when you carry to much weight, needs someone to help

Blind

You can't see. Happens if your eyes take damage

Decapitation

Just about as obvious as zombified: (Your head seems to have been severed by someone's bladed weapon):D

Dislocated

One of your limbs (usually an arm, though sometimes hand or leg) has had it's joint dislocated. When you have this injury you have pain & can't use the limb. Can't be naturally healed, has to have someone else do it

Paralyzed

Can't use your legs, and have to crawl. Can happen if you fall from great height.

Severe Bleeding

Like bleeding, but happens at 2x normal rate. Happens when a wound hits and artery (5 percent chance on arm, leg, or neck.)

Tooth Ache

Causes pain but not much else I could think of. Gives you a reason to use a toothbrush, as it would prevent (or at least decrease the chance of) you from getting one if used regularly

Ailments

Bad Breath

Makes you have not as good interaction with npcs, otherwise not much else. Gives you a reason to use a toothbrush

Flu

Like cold, but more severe. Possibility of dying (Very rare)

Leeches

Like ticks, except that you can only get them in water. Also makes you drowsy after having you on them for a while form blood loss.

Mosquitoes

They can get you outside, spawn in small clouds that can be identified by small black dots flying around the tile. Give you itchy bites that make you perform a little less that your best due to constantly having to scratch.

Parasitic Infection

Caused by eating bad meat. Animal meat could have a small chance of having it. Makes you feel drowsy all the time and also gives other symptoms of stomach bug

Ticks

Like mosquitoes, except kept biting until removed, only can be gotten in forest areas.

Traits

Blind
Like the wound

Paralyzed

Like the wound

Self-Chiropractor

Your able to pop your back and relocate your joints

Professions

Chiropractor

Able to pop backs & relocate joints on others, would have similar skill bonuses as that of the Doctor

Dentist

Like a doctor, except can fix tooth ache with proper materials

Items

Crutches

Could be the equivalent of a splint for a sprain. Would have to at least be equipped secondary, would reduce movement unless equipped in both hands.

Wheelchair

Would allow you to move faster while paralyzed. Someone with the paralyzed trait would start out with it automatically. Can't be crafted.

well, that's it. Tell me if you see a problem with my stuff.

3 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Amputation

Either self inflicted (such as cutting off bitten hand) or inflicted by a weapon, you lose the limb and suffer from severe bleeding.

Can't believe I missed this, yeah! I think the devs said they're thinking of doing it and it's something tied quite closely to Zombie lore IIRC.

Animal Bite

Like zombie bite, except caused by animals once introduces (Feral dogs, feral cats, wolves, etc.)

Certainly something necessary though I don't think a new name has to be given to it. Just have a normal bite without the possibility of zombiefication. Could lead to interesting interactions, maybe a medic could tell the difference? :P

Back Pain

You have pain and have reduced wight capacity, happens when you carry to much weight, needs someone to help

I've never had by back "hurt" ingame, despite the moodle constantly warning me of this and my normally having an inventory weight of around 40 or more (I like building stuff). Certainly required!

Blind

You can't see. Happens if your eyes take damage

I didn't think of this and I like it! I think casual players might hate it though...

Decapitation

Just about as obvious as zombified: (Your head seems to have been severed by someone's bladed weapon):D

Tis but a scratch!

4 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Dislocated

One of your limbs (usually an arm, though sometimes hand or leg) has had it's joint dislocated. When you have this injury you have pain & can't use the limb. Can't be naturally healed, has to have someone else do it

Self-Chiropractor

Your able to pop your back and relocate your joints

Chiropractor

Able to pop backs & relocate joints on others, would have similar skill bonuses as that of the Doctor

Also could be caused by climbing with a very heavy inventory. :P

I do mountain climbing and I've been in situations where I've had to fix this myself. Should cause a ton of pain and panic.

Paralyzed

Can't use your legs, and have to crawl. Can happen if you fall from great height.

Paralyzed

Like the wound

Wheelchair

Would allow you to move faster while paralyzed. Someone with the paralyzed trait would start out with it automatically. Can't be crafted.

I'm sure that some of us have friends in this position IRL and it would be an unprecedented step in diversity if TIS included this. Would be a terrifying experience to be paralyzed during the Zombie Apocalypse.

Severe Bleeding

Like bleeding, but happens at 2x normal rate. Happens when a wound hits and artery (5 percent chance on arm, leg, or neck.)

Makes perfect sense.

Tooth Ache

Causes pain but not much else I could think of. Gives you a reason to use a toothbrush, as it would prevent (or at least decrease the chance of) you from getting one if used regularly

Bad Breath

Makes you have not as good interaction with npcs, otherwise not much else. Gives you a reason to use a toothbrush

Dentist

Like a doctor, except can fix tooth ache with proper materials

Makes sense though I fear it could become somewhat micro-managey. :?

Flu

Like cold, but more severe. Possibility of dying (Very rare)

Yes, should also cause pain and nausea. Should also be contagious, don't believe the guy who says it's just a cold!  :-o

This would be an absolutely epic RP factor. Relive Season 4 of The Walking Dead? :P

Leeches

Like ticks, except that you can only get them in water. Also makes you drowsy after having you on them for a while form blood loss.

Mosquitoes

They can get you outside, spawn in small clouds that can be identified by small black dots flying around the tile. Give you itchy bites that make you perform a little less that your best due to constantly having to scratch.

Parasitic Infection

Caused by eating bad meat. Animal meat could have a small chance of having it. Makes you feel drowsy all the time and also gives other symptoms of stomach bug

Ticks

Like mosquitoes, except kept biting until removed, only can be gotten in forest areas.

Yes! Insect repellent could be added as well to make getting bitten less likely.

I think adding a physical object for mosquitoes might be a bit too intensive. Maybe have them as a summer thing where you'll get bitten randomly. Outdoorsman wouldn't be affected as much of course.

I got some new material for you!

Traits

Allergic

In the spring, you'd sneeze without the other symptoms of cold, making a tissue more of a necessity.

Items

Allergy pills

Would temporarily stop allergy sneezes.

Not much, but something i thought of while taking an allergy pill the other day.

Edited by TheWraithPlayer

On 2016-09-01 at 8:34 AM, Queen Glory said:

I like cauterized but with that one it would probably give you "Agony" instantly because i dont know if you've ever been burned, but a toaster burn hurts like hell by just tapping it, i can't imagine what putting a flame on your wound would be like.

Can confirm, got burned from a stove bad enough to leave a permanent scar. It would hurt alot.

As well, you would heat up a metal object, not use direct flame. Heat + Pressure = cauterized, otherwise you will just burn the wound open.

On 2016-09-01 at 7:22 PM, Okamikurainya said:

Can't believe I missed this, yeah! I think the devs said they're thinking of doing it and it's something tied quite closely to Zombie lore IIRC.

Certainly something necessary though I don't think a new name has to be given to it. Just have a normal bite without the possibility of zombiefication. Could lead to interesting interactions, maybe a medic could tell the difference? :P

I've never had by back "hurt" ingame, despite the moodle constantly warning me of this and my normally having an inventory weight of around 40 or more (I like building stuff). Certainly required!

I didn't think of this and I like it! I think casual players might hate it though...

Tis but a scratch!

Also could be caused by climbing with a very heavy inventory. :P

I do mountain climbing and I've been in situations where I've had to fix this myself. Should cause a ton of pain and panic.

I'm sure that some of us have friends in this position IRL and it would be an unprecedented step in diversity if TIS included this. Would be a terrifying experience to be paralyzed during the Zombie Apocalypse.

Makes perfect sense.

Makes sense though I fear it could become somewhat micro-managey. :?

Yes, should also cause pain and nausea. Should also be contagious, don't believe the guy who says it's just a cold!  :-o

This would be an absolutely epic RP factor. Relive Season 4 of The Walking Dead? :P

Yes! Insect repellent could be added as well to make getting bitten less likely.

I think adding a physical object for mosquitoes might be a bit too intensive. Maybe have them as a summer thing where you'll get bitten randomly. Outdoorsman wouldn't be affected as much of course.

Just a note, shoulder dislocation can be fixed solo, it just hurts ALOT and requires a heavy weight and know-how.

Basically you swing the arm with a big heavy weight attached to try and sling-shot the arm back in place. It's as painful as it sounds.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:17 PM, Jericoshost said:

Just a note, shoulder dislocation can be fixed solo, it just hurts ALOT and requires a heavy weight and know-how.

Basically you swing the arm with a big heavy weight attached to try and sling-shot the arm back in place. It's as painful as it sounds.

yeah, you're right it could be done, but would any average Joe know how?

Got a few more ideas

Wounds

Drowning

Running out of air underwater (See suffocation, below)

Electrocution

Getting shocked by a power source (hooked up the generator wrong, ran into a downed power line)

Suffocation

Being chocked to death (choke hold). Essentially you could last about 5-10 seconds per level of fitness.

Ailments

Alcohol Poisoning

Have had too much to drink, eh?

Drug Overdose

Occurs after taking too many pills.

That's all I have for now (I really need to combine these all into a mega post sometime!)

14 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Alcohol Poisoning

Have had too much to drink, eh?

Drug Overdose

Occurs after taking too many pills.

That's all I have for now (I really need to combine these all into a mega post sometime!)

These I don't really agree with and also there aren't really any drugs in PZ and i highly doubt there will ever be, and alcohol poisoning, no one in there right mind would actually drink a good amount of alcohol when they don't need it (unless your me then drink away)

The other two i like but "drowning" would be a death not a wound, they could be water logged i think it's called? where maybe a buddy might have to revive them but it's not something i can see making it into the game.

Also from electrocution you could get burns but in some severe cases nerve damage.

Edited by Queen Glory

On 9/1/2016 at 10:42 AM, Okamikurainya said:

Cauterized

A self inflicted wound, similar to a burn but not lasting as long. Done to avoid bleeding with a lighter or propane torch though does a good chunk of damage and causes a lot of pain. I guess this could also be a simple switch out of a bleeding wound and a burn too.

I like the idea of this, but speaking for myself I would have no idea how to cauterize a wound properly and i'd imagine most people wouldn't either. if this were implemented it would depend on skill level. On the other hand I really love the skill magazines and I wish there were more of them in the game. honestly i dont think most people even know how to stitch a wound, myself included, and I think being able to stitch a wound should depend on profession, skill level or a magazine. 

On 9/1/2016 at 5:55 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

Parasitic Infection

another symptom could be slowed movement, increased thirst due to dehydration. 

heres one I thought of

RASH

caused by running for prolonged periods of time in the deep woods, causes minor pain at first but can spread quickly which would increase the pain level if not treated. high risk of infection if not covered with a sterile bandage. could add another item to the game "topical cream" to help treat it which could help with burns as well.

33 minutes ago, morninam said:

I like the idea of this, but speaking for myself I would have no idea how to cauterize a wound properly and i'd imagine most people wouldn't either. if this were implemented it would depend on skill level. On the other hand I really love the skill magazines and I wish there were more of them in the game. honestly i dont think most people even know how to stitch a wound, myself included, and I think being able to stitch a wound should depend on profession, skill level or a magazine. 

I don't know if you've seen any Medieval show then you've seen how the cauterize wounds on that it's literally putting a heated blade/metal on your wound.

Edited by Queen Glory

Just now, Queen Glory said:

I don't know if you've seen any Medieval show then you've seen how the cauterize wounds on that it's literally putting a heated blade on your wound.

I get where you're coming from, and I almost mentioned it in my post, but what we see on TV vs the correct procedure can be completely different. I'm not saying what you said wouldn't work because i dont know and i'm not gonna google it to try and prove you wrong. I jsut want to look at the procedure from the average person's point of view and think about if they could cauterize the wound effectively, which im sceptical of.  the average person might think they know how to do it, but when they actually do it they end up screwing themselves over because they've just given themselves another wound that's prone to infection.

11 hours ago, morninam said:

another symptom could be slowed movement, increased thirst due to dehydration. 

heres one I thought of

RASH

caused by running for prolonged periods of time in the deep woods, causes minor pain at first but can spread quickly which would increase the pain level if not treated. high risk of infection if not covered with a sterile bandage. could add another item to the game "topical cream" to help treat it which could help with burns as well.

You could also get this from stuff like poison ivy, which would add a whole other hazard to the woods.