Swiss Army Knife mod?

hormel

swiss.png

I'm looking to create a mod that adds a multi-tool/Swiss Army Knife into the game. While I've seen that the item has been suggested, I have not seen a working mod as of yet. My question: has it been created or shall I proceed?

I'm hoping to map the functionality as follows.

Closed knife- access menu:

Open knife

Open can opener

Open tweezers

Open saw

Open screwdriver

Open scissors

Upon opening an aspect of the tool, I want the icon of the 'closed knife' to be replaced with whatever corresponding tool is accessed and when closed to be replaced with the 'closed knife' icon once again. 

I suppose simply allowing one tool to function as a "knife" "can opener" "tweezers" etc. without icon shifting would be a much easier route, but I think with some clever coding a multi-icon, multi-tool is possible..

The icon posted is just a working png for my own clarity but should provide a visual of what I'm going for here..

You could create multiple items, ie, Item_KnifeClosed, Item_KnifeTweezers, etc. and then in your context menu code you could destroy the KnifeClosed item and create the KnifeTweezers, etc.  That's probably the way that I would do it initially to get the mod out and then search through the games java code for icon manipulation functions.