Creating safe house without sledge

Zombie_squirrel

15 minutes ago, Zombie_squirrel said:

Since sledgehammer is so rare, what are other methods being used to secure safe house without knocking out stairs?  

Considering barricading window does not slow down zombies all that much... any other creative methods? 

Try to not make too much noise around your safehouse, and do quick loot & grabs. Secure the location by throwing sheets over all of the windows, then gradually barricade up unnecessary entrances and all bottom-floor windows. Use furniture as barricades as well.

Combined with a location that has a tall fence and a narrow entrance point, you could have a protected farm area outside so you can focus on hitting the hardware stores instead of grocery stores as finding food won't be as much of a problem. Also, fill as many water bottles up with sink water as you can before the inevitable water-system shutdown.

If you aren't already well-established, I recommend just plain old smash n' grab looting. Secure vital tools such as axes, saws, and sledgehammers as well as any supplies you can find. Canned food and a lot of water bottles are a must, an axe + a saw + a hammer and you're all set to quickly barricade a location (provided you've found enough nails), dufflebags are great for go bags (Instead of dumping all of your stuff into a container, just flat out drop your dufflebag and equip an empty one.), and some skill books are nice for when you have a safe place and have time to kill.

You also don't have to take out the stairs in order for a building to be totally safe. However this all depends on which mode you play on. Even on survival if you are vigilant enough about clearing the area and setting up a perimeter, it is possible to avoid massive renovations like that entirely.

Now that we can move furniture you can block off the top AND the bottom of a staircase. Zombies can destroy this stuff, i have no idea how many hit points a couch has compared to a vending machine but it seems that the Zeds arnt drawn to destroy furniture in the same way that they do with player made furniture. 

But the trick is to SNEAK, everywhere when you are in your safehouse, especially on Survival 6 months later, if they know you are there then they will smash everything to get your juicy brains.

You can also put furniture in a corridor in a 'zig zag' pattern, not totally blocking the corridor, and it will slow a horde of home invaders.

I don't get why so many people consider knocking down the stairs. I actually welcome every attempt by the zombie horde trying to get me. It's a zombie game for crying out loud, there should be tension, close calls, etc... Sides, I don't think it is realistic that people would be smashing holes on top of the staircase and leave buildings via sheet ropes. That shit can snap at any moment, you'd be unable to climb up when tired due to (most likely) poor fitness,... Not to mention with all that shit on your back, its a no - go and I hope devs change/play around this at one point.

But to answer your question, board the windows, be smart (multiple exists), stay quiet and you should be alright. If you do happen to get invaded though, you're in for a hell of a play session ;)

18 minutes ago, Rocco36 said:

I don't get why so many people consider knocking down the stairs. I actually welcome every attempt by the zombie horde trying to get me. It's a zombie game for crying out loud, there should be tension, close calls, etc... Sides, I don't think it is realistic that people would be smashing holes on top of the staircase and leave buildings via sheet ropes. That shit can snap at any moment, you'd be unable to climb up when tired due to (most likely) poor fitness,... Not to mention with all that shit on your back, its a no - go and I hope devs change/play around this at one point.

The ropes now can be destroyed by Zs and stairs can be barricaded with furniture(and walls ofc), so destroying staircases is no more an ultimate solution for a safehouse. But if I was a surviver I think I would disassemble the stairs - its a SAFEhouse, right? - and would make some kind of ladders or rope nets (like those on old sailing ships, do not know the word).  Zs seem to be unable to climb, this should be used!

The safe house i used is pretty darn secure without the need of a sledgehammer (now that i think about it, i have never used it before.)

Barricade all the windows since they are weak spots, if possible put furniture around it.

Always have 2 doors if possible in the first floor, so if one gets surrounded by zombies, you can take the back one.

And the most important aspect of it, if in case they break into the house while you sleep or whatever, always put 1 single chair in the top of the staircase,  no matter what the zombies will try to get to the chair but they wont be able to break it since they will jump to different targets in the house before actually trying to reach the stair again, it gives you enough time (2 days sometimes) to think about how you are going to approach the situation, most of the time you can use a sheet rope to escape, attract the zombies to some other area and come back home.

3 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

The ropes now can be destroyed by Zs and stairs can be barricaded with furniture(and walls ofc), so destroying staircases is no more an ultimate solution for a safehouse. But if I was a surviver I think I would disassemble the stairs - its a SAFEhouse, right? - and would make some kind of ladders or rope nets (like those on old sailing ships, do not know the word).  Zs seem to be unable to climb, this should be used!

Yay, did not know that, It doesn't change anything for me, but nice, sheet ropes were getting OP on multiplayer servers anyway.

If we're talking about hypothetical ZA scenario, if zeds come to your place, flooding the house beneath & around you, you're doing it wrong, you're just prolonging your death (unless someone saves your ass, ofc). Or I might be just wrong, see, this is why I love this game, we get to test all these awesome scenarios, 'what ifs', etc ...

2 hours ago, Rocco36 said:

you're just prolonging your death (unless someone saves your ass, ofc).

I'm prolonging my life, dude. Even a "dick's soul's size" (as we say in Russia) chance is infinitely better than nothing. So if I'm really crowded and surrounded I would prefer to have some time to think everything over. IRL I would try to gather Z's on one side of the building and then escape from the other side. In PZ we can use alarm clocks and shouting and sheet ropes to escape, so screw the stairs (and heil PZ!).  The sad part is that you cannot get back to your 2story base after sheet-ropes are destroyed. But a hardcore surviver has carpentry=6 to handle this..

Archived