Speed at which zeds break through barricades

Rickyroughneck

I usually start a new save when the next public patch drops but I couldn't wait.

All was going swimmingly: I started in Muldraugh, found a sledgehammer and a few axes and made my way to West Point. In anticipation of the next build where sheet ropes are destroyable, I left the stairs intact in my usual hideout above the hardware/ food store to the south east of the town. I had fully barricaded the downstairs inside and out, leaving the doors unbarricaded apart from the back door which was fully barricaded. I had a generator and a bunch of gas and was just doing another gas run (before the power runs out) when the helicopter event started. I made it back to the appartment (helped by a handy sheet rope on the SW facing window opposite the office block) without being seen by more than a couple of zeds. To be safe I wanted to destroy the floor tile in front of the stairs however I couldn't target it with the sledgehammer (despite pressing r), so decided to give up, rest and try to fight them off. I rested for about 20 mins (just enough to lose the fatigued moodle) in the south appartment before making my way down the sheet rope to try and clear the door before it gives out, but to my dismay it had given in, along with a couple of windows in the shops too (I didn't see but heard smashing, and assume they made it though the inside barricades too because zeds came from that direction). I entered the back door to try and clear them out (I didn't know there were so many already inside, and the helicopter was still around so I didn't fancy my chances elsewhere), and went upstairs as a last ditch effort to save my flats, but too many followed so I had to run into the north appartment. I fumbled around finding materials for sheet rope, but missed the nail. In the end I convinced myself that I had placed a sheet rope so when the zeds burst in room I jumped out, broke a leg (of course), and was ambushued and killed.

Long story short, I was dissappointed at how quickly the barricaded door gave in. There were  probably less than ten bashing the door and it gave in about 30 minutes of ingame time despite being pristine and 8 planks barricading it. I had the handy skill, and those barricades were level two (for the most part) in carpentry; I also play with a 2 hour day length and "proper zombies". Hearing stories about an unbarricaded door holding out to a dozen zombies for a whole night made me think this one would last at least a couple of hours with barricades, so I was very dissappointed that the defences gave in so quickly.

What are other people's experience with barricading their safehouse? I know people say that there should have a second (and third etc) safe house but at this point I had only just barricaded this one when the helicopter event hit, and prioritised getting gas supplies first (perhaps a mistake but I was caught out by an early blackout last game).

It depends do i use more than one plank per door/window, usually i barricade as much i can (was it about 4-5 planks you can use per door/window), one plank just keeps em out enough so you can escape or go there and kick their undead behinds to kingdom come, also this depends on game settings..if zombies are weak they dont get in that easily if they are "proper" or even harder they will break in at ease

17 hours ago, hormel said:

I just had a mundo horde of zombies break down the metal jail cell door in mere moments. It lasted slightly longer than any other barricade/wall/door I put up as a roadblock

I think that is something that needs adjusting, metal doors should be all but impervious to damage. I understand the need for everything to be destructible, but the relative strength of barricades/ different types of door needs to be adjusted.

I'm with you there. I had just enough time to realize I couldn't shoot them through the gate, to scramble to find my bug out bag amid the rest of my garbage, and to fire wildly as they came in. It was a pretty slick scene, actually. Just thought that door would hold out and be my alamo.

Archived