Jump to content
dannyisdude

Mentally Unstable Trait

Recommended Posts

What this could do is make it so sometimes (maybe a bit rarely) in multiplayer, the trait makes it look like someone is shooting at you. On their screen, they maybe just be walking or doing whatever, but on your screen it makes it look like they are shooting you. This would make mentally unstable people be problem for others as they may randomly attack you. Also, the trait could make you see zombies that aren't there. So occasionally, one or two fake zombies spawn for you which instantly disappear when you hit them once. This way other people will see you shoot/swing a weapon at the air, and might think something is wrong with you. This could also be an indicator for people who don't know you are mentally unstable. Another things it could do is make you randomly yell or talk. Rarely, your character will just yell for no reason, attracting nearby zombies. Or, instead, your character could just randomly talk sometimes, which would attract zombies in a smaller area than yelling. This would obviously be a negative trait that could really change up the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SaltandPretzels said:

We can divide this little more 

For example the Tourette Syndrome : where you just shout specific word ( mostly curses) in every situation uncontrollably, affects all NPC , and etc. 

Swearing uncontrollable is actually not that common with Tourette's. Generally Tourette's only gives people small, uncontrollable tics. Like making weird noises (rarely yelling), throat clearing, bodily movements, twitches, and many people with Tourette's can suppress their tics at places like school and work. I'm sure if it came down to life and death, they would probably be preoccupied with something else (like killing zombies) and suppression of tics would be extremely easy. It would barely affect survival, unless a facial twitch is somehow going to result in your death.

Edited by dannyisdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another cool thing could be, having a certain item in your main inventory for a long time could provide a constant happiness boost, and while you have it on you, the character could talk to that occasionally. Some text in different colors (one for volleyball, one for character) could come up. I'M SORRY WILSON!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hormel said:

Or a character becomes emotionally attached to items- like their favorite weapon or a wedding ring.... or baby shoes:-(

That's sort of what I'm talking about. You carry around a useless object, like a ball or a Spiffo or something, and your character starts to talk to it. This could provide a happiness boost. However, once you get attached to one object, it should be really hard to get attached to another, so it gives you reason to try to rescue Wilson from the horde that destroyed your home. However I don't think this should happen with object that have function, like weapons or clothes. Getting attached to a weapon or an article of clothing just to have it break or rip would be pretty annoying. Also, being separated from the object should provide a sadness increase. This would give an incentive not to leave Wilson at home while you are out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I think the idea of a mentally unstable trait might actually fit in quite well with what the developers have in mind. I remember reading up somewhere on plans to integrate insanity or something of the sort.

 

This is kind of tangential, but there was a point in time where I swore that this was already implemented. It was on my multiplayer server and I had a group of friends that died in the mall (it was a bloody mess, I was the only one who made it out of the horde). I got back to my farmhouse nearby and sat in front of the fireplace reading a book, staring out the window and waiting for my friends to make it back, when I swear I saw a human figure walk directly up to the door of my house to get in. I got up and unlocked it, ran around (sprinting level 7) to catch whatever it was, only to find that my friends were still going through the residential area north to get here.

 

I never found what that was. I must have ran around my house eight times. Either I was actually losing my marbles after a tense pseudo-life/death situation, or there was some kind of ingame explanation for it. 

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

You know, I think the idea of a mentally unstable trait might actually fit in quite well with what the developers have in mind. I remember reading up somewhere on plans to integrate insanity or something of the sort.

 

This is kind of tangential, but there was a point in time where I swore that this was already implemented. It was on my multiplayer server and I had a group of friends that died in the mall (it was a bloody mess, I was the only one who made it out of the horde). I got back to my farmhouse nearby and sat in front of the fireplace reading a book, staring out the window and waiting for my friends to make it back, when I swear I saw a human figure walk directly up to the door of my house to get in. I got up and unlocked it, ran around (sprinting level 7) to catch whatever it was, only to find that my friends were still going through the residential area north to get here.

 

I never found what that was. I must have ran around my house eight times. Either I was actually losing my marbles after a tense pseudo-life/death situation, or there was some kind of ingame explanation for it. 

I know the devs already have insanity planned. Another symptom of the trait could be having the "zombies in your house" sleep event, where you wake up in the middle of the night with some zombies in your house, happen with the fake zombies. This would reduce the amount of sleep you get if it happened occasionally, as well as possibly screw up sleeping habits because you need to sleep longer. This could be a starting trait (quite a negative one), and maybe it could also develop if you get depressed enough for a very long time. You would gradually begin to notice the fake zombies, and if you aren't prepared, having your friend shoot at you could really make both of you lose trust in each other. Also, certain pills could be used to make the symptoms go away for awhile (24 hours?). In MP, this could make it important for you to make sure your buddy stays on his psych meds, so that he doesn't shoot at you randomly. 

Edited by dannyisdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dannyisdude said:

I know the devs already have insanity planned. Another symptom of the trait could be having the "zombies in your house" sleep event,

That could be an interesting concept, occasionally (1% chance) you'd have a nightmare. Here's how it would go

1. You wake up

2. Zombies are invading you're house, seeming to spawn at random in your house!

3. You fight them thinking their real and eventually die.

4. Once you die you wake up for real and scream from terror.

 

And you'd have to fight the zombies, cause you'd never really know if it was a dream or real!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheWraithPlayer said:

That could be an interesting concept, occasionally (1% chance) you'd have a nightmare. Here's how it would go

1. You wake up

2. Zombies are invading you're house, seeming to spawn at random in your house!

3. You fight them thinking their real and eventually die.

4. Once you die you wake up for real and scream from terror.

 

And you'd have to fight the zombies, cause you'd never really know if it was a dream or real!

Nah. That'd require a dream system. Eh. One of the current sleep event already has you wake up with one or two zombies spawned in your house. I'm saying just have this but with the fake zombies instead of real ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2016 at 5:22 PM, dannyisdude said:

Nah. That'd require a dream system. Eh. One of the current sleep event already has you wake up with one or two zombies spawned in your house. I'm saying just have this but with the fake zombies instead of real ones.

I wouldn't be that hard. Essentially it's your fake zombies thing except i=they swarm you, and when you "Die" you wake up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

I wouldn't be that hard. Essentially it's your fake zombies thing except i=they swarm you, and when you "Die" you wake up.

Spawning fake zombies wouldn't be hard at all. What would be hard is having an entire 'fake' world which resets when you die in the dream. That'd be more than a bit ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.08.2016 at 8:35 PM, dannyisdude said:

you see zombies that aren't there.

But I am already see that - it's my imagination or devs playing with me? :shock:

 

Edited by Unghin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.08.2016 at 8:35 PM, dannyisdude said:

So occasionally, one or two fake zombies spawn for you which instantly disappear when you hit them once.

Totally disagree. When I talk about fake zombie I means just figures in shadow - that I have seen. It may triggering quit panic and all. Your way looks like heavely hallucination. And if you can see and hear it and even go hi them - it's means that you heavely psychological ill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...