More interactive helicopter event

Pwnlord

More interaction with the helicopter in the Helicopter Event would be nice. At a bare minimum, being able to tell WHAT KIND would be nice-the average schmuck could say "colorful helicopter, drab helicopter, helicopter with guns, big helicopter, little helicopter"; a Park Ranger could say "military helicopter, news helicopter, transport chopper, private helicopter", a Veteran could say "Boeing AH-64 Apache, Bell OH-58 Kiowa, Bell 206A JetRanger, Baby Belle" so forth and so on. Being a Veteran, Park Ranger, or similar profession might let you tune in with a Walkie-Talkie and address the pilots-for good or ill-and at the very least, get them to move away before they attract the zed.

In certain cases, maybe even get them to scout the area for you?

I don't really expect them to be able to fly you to safety-that's not really in the name of the game-but hell, just being able to learn where other settlements of survivors are and maybe establish trade would be nice.

1 hour ago, Pwnlord said:

might let you tune in with a Walkie-Talkie and address the pilots-for good or ill-and at the very least, get them to move away before they attract the zed.

Not going to happen, that would count as aid from the military or outside help and thats a no,no.

Also i think that news choppers are not really in the airspace of the quarantine zone, since its so heavily protected i dont think that anything past of the military would be flying around there, military choppers would still probably shoot your ass so there is no need to give it complex names in my opinion.

I have some alternative idea: an airstrike against a big mob. If player manages to gather a big ammount of Zs in one chunk the chopper fires a birst from a machinegun and a couple of rockets into the mob.  Fun, balance, chopper pilot is no more game enemy #1.

This is not against the game plot, because we have military involved and this will add both logic and a nice Z-movies cliche.

15 minutes ago, GOGOblin said:

chopper pilot is no more game enemy #1.

I personally like the idea of it being enemy #1 :P If anything, I'd love to see military drop from them and then have the player need to run or die. They would be clearing zeds as well but would kill you too. I feel like it would make hiding from the chopper more fun as well as add a cool scenario where you might need to run and hide from them (or fight them if you're awesome like that lol) :)

Edited by Kuren

5 hours ago, Kuren said:

I personally like the idea of it being enemy #1

Well, yes, this guy is definitely one of most hated videogame characters )

5 hours ago, Kuren said:

then have the player need to run or die. They would be clearing zeds as well but would kill you too. I feel like it would make hiding from the chopper more fun as well as add a cool scenario

I cant imagine the reason for the helicopter to hunt the player. But I think hunting big Z mobs using airstrikes is a pretty obvious thing. For now huge mobs can be defeated only with fire; "defeating" the whole map also, until you mark burning chunks as quarantine and never visit them.  Airstrikes could solve the problem of huge mobs, also adding some unpredictable distructions on the map and fearing the player. I dunno about US choppers armament, but russian attack choppers usually carry a shitload of unguided air-to-ground rockets - "no suRviveRs no pRisoneeRs", lol, the player will have to run pretty far from the mob if this kind of rockets is used. Unfortunately napalm should not be used, it will destroy the town in a day (with nowdays game rules).

On a second glance: airstrikes will decrease the amount of Zs - dramatically - this may spoil the game if Z's population is set to realistic.

Edited by GOGOblin

Just now, TheWraithPlayer said:

If you where to close to the edge of the map, or 'quarantine zone' as it where, they'd probably try to kill you to keep you from breaching the cordon, making you public enemy #1:D

I'm not sure, but DEV's stated tthat military forces will not be implemented in any way (I may be wrong, because they are guarding perimeter according to radio-lore)

17 hours ago, Kuren said:

I personally like the idea of it being enemy #1 :P If anything, I'd love to see military drop from them and then have the player need to run or die. They would be clearing zeds as well but would kill you too. I feel like it would make hiding from the chopper more fun as well as add a cool scenario where you might need to run and hide from them (or fight them if you're awesome like that lol) :)

I recall something about cleanup crews coming into the city the first week to "clean up", dunno why they would come in though, maybe they dont want survivors to get outside the Quarantine zone and ruin everything, thus that is the way to contain it?

10 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

I'm not sure, but DEV's stated tthat military forces will not be implemented in any way (I may be wrong, because they are guarding perimeter according to radio-lore)

Where did you get that though? I recall from way before that they stated that there will be military forces inside and outside the starting area/ quarantine, is very possible that they will become a antagonist in some part of the timeline, killing anything that is still "alive" is safer. Also where it was that it stated that the chopper is probably going to have some sort of shooter killing anything that moves including the player?

3 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Where did you get that though? I recall from way before that they stated that there will be military forces inside and outside the starting area/ quarantine, is very possible that they will become a antagonist in some part of the timeline, killing anything that is still "alive" is safer.

[n]    Military Aid

I may be wrong, as I said, but I think I've read somewhere that there will be no "map border" made of army shooting everything. So I sopposed there will be no active army party in PZ.

Also where it was that it stated that the chopper is probably going to have some sort of shooter killing anything that moves including the player?

It was my sick imagination :-D  "I have some alternative idea: an airstrike against a big mob. " it is not stated anywhere, but could be a nice complementation to any "army" activity.  (Actually I just would love to see a huge mob devastated with a pack of air-to-ground rockets). There is a kinda cliche in apocalyptic movies - airstrikes that destroy cities (Its a reference to the Bible, I guess) after some plague breaks out..

52 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I actually had an idea that maybe there is a rare chance of a military or news helicopter crashing near you and you basically have to follow a radio signal and when you get to it you can get some nice supplies.

See, this type of thing sounds awesome to me but there needs to be some resistance to it. That's why I like the idea of if you want military equipment or help you should have to fight or run/sneak for it. It should really be a challenge to loot these things :)

46 minutes ago, Kuren said:

See, this type of thing sounds awesome to me but there needs to be some resistance to it. That's why I like the idea of if you want military equipment or help you should have to fight or run/sneak for it. It should really be a challenge to loot these things :)

Well the sound from the crash would likely draw zeds from pretty far away so the area would be full of zeds, Also for loot I could see things such as MRE's, Alice packs, Canteens (Bigger water bottle) Ect.

On 2016/08/29 at 11:21 AM, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Well the sound from the crash would likely draw zeds from pretty far away so the area would be full of zeds, Also for loot I could see things such as MRE's, Alice packs, Canteens (Bigger water bottle) Ect.

So becoming Day Z? :P

Well heck, if that's the way then I'd love to be able to find a helicopter once vehicles have been introduced so I can terrorize my neighbors with hordes in my wake. XD

One thing I doubt would be added but I really want is the shadow of the helicopter.

44 minutes ago, Okamikurainya said:

So becoming Day Z? :P

Well heck, if that's the way then I'd love to be able to find a helicopter once vehicles have been introduced so I can terrorize my neighbors with hordes in my wake. XD

One thing I doubt would be added but I really want is the shadow of the helicopter.

It's not like Day Z invented those things, Also having actual helicopters would be near impossible for this game.

Edited by xXSly_WolfyXx

2 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

It's not like Day Z invented those things

It was a joke. ;)

One of the main things me and my friends would do in Day Z was search for the downed helicopters specifically for the cool goodies provided.

3 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Also having actual helicopters would be near impossible for this game.

Hardly, I can think of many ways in which can be done. There's only two limitations for it and that's the speed at which they travel (which is apparently being worked out for the addition of vehicles in general) and the fact that they can bypass natural barriers such as the Ohio River (Which can be done with lots and lots of planks anyhow).

4 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

Hardly, I can think of many ways in which can be done. There's only two limitations for it and that's the speed at which they travel (which is apparently being worked out for the addition of vehicles in general) and the fact that they can bypass natural barriers such as the Ohio River (Which can be done with lots and lots of planks anyhow).

I agree! And with that being said, I think the vehicle mod has proven that you can do flying vehicles in PZ.

While the plane in it isn't perfect, it shows it can be done :)

Yeah It could be done but would it work for pz? I mean, I can see flying in games like gta but I have never really seen proper flying in an isometric game. But if it were to be added it would be a lot of work, First you would have to be able to shoot out of it on to levels below (assuming it will be in multiplayer) Plus map streaming might be an issue but that will probably be worked out by the time tis starts working on vehicles. I guess I'm just not entirely convinced on the idea although it would be really interesting to see.

Ok, I'm gonna go through this piece by piece.

1 hour ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Yeah It could be done but would it work for pz?

Yes.

I mean, I can see flying in games like gta but I have never really seen proper flying in an isometric game.

How I would do it is as such: The player gets into the helicopter and for a few moments it rises vertically until it is above the height of any buildings before unlocking the controls and allowing the player to fly. There wouldn't be any upwards or downwards flight other than landing or ascending and during both of those instances there would be no movement on the X or Y axis.

But if it were to be added it would be a lot of work

Not at all, unless the coders have coded themselves into a corner, the addition should be fairly simple since they have vehicles on the way anyhow.

First you would have to be able to shoot out of it on to levels below (assuming it will be in multiplayer)

Or just, don't shoot out of it? The helicopter would be a terrifying weapon and powerful tool by itself, shooting out of it just isn't necessary and I assume that TIS wouldn't include military helicopters.

Plus map streaming might be an issue but that will probably be worked out by the time tis starts working on vehicles.

TIS are already working on this and IIRC have stated that they already have functioning vehicles behind the scenes but are waiting on animations and a fix for the streaming issue, though don't quote me on that since I can't find the original quote for the life of me. :(

I guess I'm just not entirely convinced on the idea although it would be really interesting to see.

It would give the player in control of the helicopter an immensely powerful boost in power that would need to be balanced. Fuel, the risk of attracting zombies, etc should be enough to make it a bittersweet boon.

2 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

Ok, I'm gonna go through this piece by piece.

This sounds very good and awesome like that. The only issues, that I can see, is finding it, repairing (Or finding working only?) and controlling it (From character's perspective). This would fit for some Pilot proffesion/trait, but wouldn't be good for unaware person. 

Finding crashland and repairing helicopter sounds like too much too, imo. It would be a deformed loot-target-pile of metal with damaged/destroyed electronics and other complex flying thingies. :) 

3 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

It would give the player in control of the helicopter an immensely powerful boost in power that would need to be balanced. Fuel, the risk of attracting zombies, etc should be enough to make it a bittersweet boon.

Apart, from making every creature look at it (IRL example - latest low-flying helicopter I saw made everyone say "Hey, look!", dogs bark, etc. But it was hard to determine, where is it, because it's small and sound was kinda everywhere :)), another thing that I can think of is a need in proper landing site. No landing in forest, towns, hills, only large roads and prepared landing sites.

But overally, yes. I'd like to see helicopter, when vehicles are made. 

Another problem is running out of fuel when not over a viable landing spot... Could just have the helicopter go straight down as if landing and then explode, leaving a wreck if the tile is valid or just vanishing if not while setting fire to things around it if it can.

A crashed helicopter wouldn't realistically be easy to get undamaged supplies from though I do think you could use the metalworking trait to dismantle it for scrap metal and such.

8 minutes ago, Keshash said:

This would fit for some Pilot proffesion/trait, but wouldn't be good for unaware person.

True, I really think it should be impossible to fly without the profession, no books or anything can help you with this one. It would make having a pilot on your team a real benefit and make you want to keep him/her around and safe.

Edited by Okamikurainya