RimWorld Pre-Alpha is Incredible so far

Mathas

So if you haven't been paying attention there's an indie game being kickstarted called RimWorld. It takes influences from FTL, Firefly, Dwarf Fortress and Prison Architect. The premise is simple, you crash land on an outer rim planet and are forced to create a colony and survive pirate raids, weather, wild life all while building a colony and having a thriving group of people who get a long. The Kickstarter has already succeeded and to top it off he's handing out the pre-alpha to some YouTubers, myself included. And for a pre-alpha, this game is already massively awesome.

He says he's been working on the game for almost a year, the kickstarter is to finish it off. To hire a musician for the music and an artist so it no longer looks like Prison Architect. Please, check it out here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tynansylvester/rimworld

looks awesome

but is there only 1 Y layer?

For now yes. He said perhaps later on in the game he'll add more but the focus is more on the colony/story telling aspects as of right now.

Sounds like a good decision, I assume there is no fluid mechanic yet either? I need something to drown bath my minions citizens in.  

I shall be keeping an eye on this one, could be good.

I noticed this on the Greenlight page for it - "Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, FTL, and Dune." ... But no mention of Prison Architect, in which the art, mechanics, interface and general gameplay just scream Prison Architect more than anything else.

Am I the only one that wants the "writer AI Narrator" opposed to the "Sadistic AI Director" in Project Zomboid for the sandbox?

So along with "Sadistic" writer, we can get a "peaceful" writer, that focuses more on NPC encounters and emergent storytelling with some occasional zombie threat?

How about a writer that likes to throw rows of zombies, making life of a character very difficult each day, forcing him to move all the time (opposed to current zombie spawn bug)?

But seriously, the game outright from the start gives birth to a lot of new and fun ideas.

Had me at Firefly, WANT WANT WANT!

Edit: The 'o' in RimWorld is a rather unfortunate graphic choice considering the name lol. That's worse than Greendale Community College's flag.

This will almost certainly be getting $ 30 from me when I get paid... looks incredibly fun.

My one worry would be that in 2 months he changes his mind on what he wants to make again and decides now he wants to do a fairy princess unicorn simulator instead. He didn't present that side of his development process very well in his video, and comes across as having a major lack of focus.

If he sticks to this concept, it looks to be truly fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

My one worry would be that in 2 months he changes his mind on what he wants to make again and decides now he wants to do a fairy princess unicorn simulator instead. He didn't present that side of his development process very well in his video, and comes across as having a major lack of focus.

If he sticks to this concept, it looks to be truly fantastic.

This. . . Made me not wanna buy it yet. lol

That and the fact that the Kickstarter did SOOO well. Whenever a game makes so much money from a kickstarter I'm always wary about how that'll affect dev progress.

I mean, of course the dev will SAY that he'll keep working on the game, but going from needing funds to having $100k is gonna affect your work ethic slightly, you know what I mean?

Not as much as you might think, sometimes. If he lives in the US and doesn't do his taxes right, the government will take more than 40% in taxes. Kickstarter takes around 5%, and Amazon takes around 5% (they do the billing). So automatically half what he made.

At the very best he can claim his company is an LLC and possibly get a tax break NEXT year for some of what was taken if he's really smart and files his company as R&D.

I always dreamed for a game like this ! But more like with the main aspect on different bioms ! Like for example first time you play on a planet that has much more oxygen in the air , other fauna and flora and a day takes for example 50 hours , and on the next run a planet that has nearly all time snow and ice and only 2 hours a day light . The game looks great , but squirrels on every planet ? :o

Not as much as you might think, sometimes. If he lives in the US and doesn't do his taxes right, the government will take more than 40% in taxes. Kickstarter takes around 5%, and Amazon takes around 5% (they do the billing). So automatically half what he made.

At the very best he can claim his company is an LLC and possibly get a tax break NEXT year for some of what was taken if he's really smart and files his company as R&D.

Thanks for the insight Rathlord, I'm so torn now :mad:

Btw, IIRC he is located in Ottawa, Ontario, If that means anything to you.

• 3 weeks later...