Sheet ropes

GOGOblin

The new update - Zeds destroy sheet ropes - looks fine but I think it is not that good.

First of all - its nice (since Zs are sane enogh to destroy player-made objects, the whole feature I dont find good), this brings some balance to super-ultra-safe houses. This new mechanics surely can give some new experience to the player.

But lets take a look at two situations, taking in consideration new feature:

You are inside and don't want your rope to be chewed by some Z:  you simply pull the rope up and put it on the floor or windowsill.

You are outside - same: you try to jump and place the down part of the rope somewhere you can jump and pull it down, but Zs cant. Have we ever seen a jumpimg zed? If the rope is vulnerable one wants to protect it. It will take some effort and maybe a use of some object to extend your arm, but the reward is too precious: your ability to return to your safehouse.

For now both situations are not implemented. You can remove the rope frow a window, but it will destroy a nail for no reason; second situation is not implemented at all - too much TWD approach to surviving :-D.

Since there will be a sheet-rope HP soon, I think this destroying of ropes must be nerfed.  The best way to do this is adding an option "hide the rope" for both upstairs and outdoor parts of the rope. Or just remove Z's ability to destroy it, after sheet-ropes get HP - they are no longer THAT awesome.

(And yes, for god's sake, dev's please add ladders or something, at least using of normal ropes, this sheet-rope-only saga has gone too far, imho.)

Rope-Climbing.jpg

I think that sheet ropes should be used as an emergency exit plan. Not the way to get into and out of your base etc. 

I think the new changes should help create this situation and make

people concider leaving the stairs intact. 

Altho for mid to late game bases the addition of ladders would be great. 

19 minutes ago, Trojan_Turps said:

an emergency exit plan

Ofc, thats what they are supposed to be used,  cotton stripes are not the best material to build a ladder.

The whole "sheets" part is really overpowered: perfect ladders made of old jeans, log walls built with underpants..

There must be some "normal" robust materials to replace "emergency" sheets.

If anything, i dont think that sheet ropes should be climbable at all, if only 1 or 2 times.

When sheet ropes were presented they were presented in a way where when your house was overrun, you could be able to open a window and get the hell out of there.

This nerf is something i been waiting on since MP became popular, everywhere you where there are player made bases, 9 out of 10 bases were most of the time in the second floor and sheet ropes needed to climb up there since the stairs were removed.

And people climbing up with TONS of logs in their backpack didnt make sense either, i am pretty happy about the soon implementation of that.

I hope that the nerf of the sheet rope could lead to the introduction of some sort of ladder system.

37 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

If anything, i dont think that sheet ropes should be climbable at all, if only 1 or 2 times.

This! This would be perfect solution for sheet ropes! Make it so, that it's just way to not break your legs, not to climb! 

Even, if not completely removing rope climbing, maybe replace current sheet ropes with usual, non-craftable ropes?

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I hope that the nerf of the sheet rope could lead to the introduction of some sort of ladder system.

This is what I'm waiting for...

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Make this to sheet ropes and add metal, wooden and rope ladders,

Making metal ladder > wooden ladder > rope ladder >>> just rope >>>>> sheet rope

Also add max weight you can climb with each or it will break and drop you down.

As sheet ropes are being nerfed it would nice if the need for a nail was changed a bit. In the same way you need +1 sheet rope for each level you need to go down. If you then have an extra +1 sheet rope it 

replaces the need for a nail

(although a nail could still be used). It would represent using the extra sheet rope to tie

around something in the room.  

This does sound slightly odd but so is using a nail, especially without a hammer!?

7 minutes ago, Trojan_Turps said:

As sheet ropes are being nerfed it would nice if the need for a nail was changed a bit. In the same way you need +1 sheet rope for each level you need to go down. If you then have an extra +1 sheet rope it 

replaces the need for a nail

(although a nail could still be used). It would represent using the extra sheet rope to tie

around something in the room.  

This does sound slightly odd but so is using a nail, especially without a hammer!?

Just imagine your character using their thumb to push the nail into the window frame.

In theory, a great balance change for Zeds.  Though, now instead of breaking the stairs, we just break the floor in front of the stairs, and use the one plank repair and destroy each entry; the system isn't foolproof, but it was a necessary change to promote more realistic behavior. I'd prefer a trap door, though honestly.

7 hours ago, Trojan_Turps said:

Don't count PZ objects as IRL objects, "nails" is just some binding and fixing thing like nails, screws, maybe wire or whatever you want. Like "saw" is not literally what you see - you cannot "saw logs" with it.

But I agree that there must be some alternative nailless way to hang a rope, maybe using aditional rope while having a bulky piece of furniture near a window, something like a wardrobe or a bath tube. 

On 24/08/2016 at 2:24 AM, makkenhoff said:

In theory, a great balance change for Zeds.  Though, now instead of breaking the stairs, we just break the floor in front of the stairs, and use the one plank repair and destroy each entry; the system isn't foolproof, but it was a necessary change to promote more realistic behavior. I'd prefer a trap door, though honestly.

I used this method at the sunstar motel, it was early game and i began to run out of nails, eventually i fell down one of my floor holes. got mobbed.

I like this new system but it will take some getting used to.

Maybe we could find or craft a step ladder that could take us up one 'level' to reach a sheet rope thats hanging safely one level down from the window.

I dunno, i like that the all too easy playstyle of sheet rope fortress has been nerfed but yeah, now we'l all just put a hole in the floor instead....

I know the zeds take damage from the fall but do they eventually die from it? Iv never seen it, i guess their leg bones are tougher than the players  (lol).

It seems to me that if you want a base in a populated area then you need a sledgehammer for the stairs, especially for the later stages of 6 months later.

Anyway i like it, it makes the game harder and causes more real life panic! 

No, no, no... This is just wrong, though I'm against Zombies being attracted and destroying player made objects. Add HP to the sheet rope, please! It's realistic and a good idea, but DON'T make it an object the zombies destroy. It makes no sense to me. Make it so each time you use the sheet rope it damages it a little, it's simple and the thing I've seen often suggested before.

This doesn't really affect me since my sheetropes are in difficult to reach places and all it will do is make me pull them up when I'm up a level. This does nothing to nerf them, it just adds something unrealistic and annoying.

That's my opinion at least.

Edit: This is only a temporary solution, it seems eventually it will be based on players. I'm fine with this. :P

Maybe I'm just noticing the 400 pound Zed in the room, but we all keep talking about "sheet" ropes.  Sure, those are flimsy.  Why aren't we talking about an option to use actual rope??  I've had a climbing rope tied to a branch in my backyard for 2 years now, I keep climbing it and it never breaks.  Why isn't there an option to secure a rope to a fixed, heavy object (Bed, load-bearing structure, beam, something nailed into the floor, etc) and then climb in and out of the window with that?  If I were going to make a more permanent window entrance/exit IRL, I wouldn't use sheets, I'd use a rope like a non-derpy person.

14 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

sense

Hush, don't bring the filth of sense to this world.. I see no reason for Zs to attack my crates too (until they get some sanity and more complicated AI)

14 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

Make it so each time you use the sheet rope it damages it a little, it's simple and the thing I've seen often suggested before.

RJ, mighty and creative, the fixer of soups, improver of gameplay, the arsonist of unusable  -  behold these sheet ropes, today you made them edible(for zombies), tomorrow give them HP and shall they overthrow the greedy ones! 

Maybe this will work?:-D

Archived