Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

1169. To plumb a sink to a rain barrel we should need some piping. Maybe a metal-working skill? Or could use PVC.

Don't hate me for suggesting this, but shouldn't we need some sort of filter system to get clean water from the rain barrel to the sink? Maybe we could use some gravel, sand, and charcoal. 

1170. To the best of my knowledge no one in the US calls lights “lamps” other than maybe a light on an end table or a nightstand, but people here usually still call those “lights”. 

You won’t ever hear anyone say “Turn off the lamp”. It doesn’t happen. 

“Lamps” should be called “lights”. Light on a pole, wall light, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1173. Weather forecasts on the radio are too precise. In game, temperature and wind speed are given to two decimal places (i.e. 76.13 degrees, 12.15 mph). In real life these are given at most to the nearest whole number (i.e. 76 degrees, 12 mph). Also, weather forecasts generally include daily high and low temperatures, but not average daily temperature.

• 2 months later...

1174. Clothing topic, based on realism and what we see in game:

Police hats, Chef hat and Golf cap should give insulation;

Ranger hat and Boonie hat give almost the same insulation of a Beanie hat (should be similar insu. of Cowboy hat);

Nuclear Biochemical Mask should have neck insulation/protection;

Medical Coat shouldn't have neck insulation/protection;

Padded Jacket and Hoddie does offer neck insulation/protection, but when hooded doesn't give anything (need to be fixed);

Army Coat shouldn't give insulation/protection at the neck, and should give thighs insulation/protection;

Poncho shoudn't give insulation/protection at the shins *and it gives insu./prot. at the head with the hood down (BUG)*, and should give insulation/protection when hooded (need to be fixed);

Suit Jacket shouldn't give neck insulation/protection;

Camo hunting, Foreman, Gray hunting, Green Camo hunting, High Visibility, and Orange Hunting Vests should give protection;

Wedding jacket shouldn't give neck insulation/protection, and should give a little at the thighs;

Diamond-pattern Sweater shouldn't give neck insulation/protection;

Polo Sweater should have neck insulation/protection;

Ghillie Suit Torso should have neck and thighs insulation/protection;

Hazmat Suit should have head, hands and feet insulation/protection;

Boxing gloves should have protection;

Long gloves should have forearms insulation/protection;

Long Shorts shouldn't have shin insulation/protection;

Military Camo Shorts should have protection and shouldn't have shin insulation;

Underwear should have some insulation;

Boots, Rain boots and Riding boots should have shin insulation/protection.

Edited by gusbighead

In addition to weight, each container and item should have a general size value (small, medium, large, etc), or maybe "longest dimension" numeric value, to minimize instances where items that are very light but very long / bulky can't be stuffed in containers obviously too small to hold them (e.g., a spear in a glove compartment).  

Right now I just generally try to avoid creating these situations, but it would be nice to have it built in to an extent.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, Bullet_Magnate said:

In addition to weight, each container and item should have a general size value (small, medium, large, etc), or maybe "longest dimension" numeric value, to minimize instances where items that are very light but very long / bulky can't be stuffed in containers obviously too small to hold them (e.g., a spear in a glove compartment).  

Right now I just generally try to avoid creating these situations, but it would be nice to have it built in to an extent.  :)

I think the “weight” value currently is more of an “encumbrance” value. Thats why things like plastic outdoor chairs that realistically weigh next to nothing have a higher value than for example an axe. They might be light but they’re awkward to carry around. 

I don’t love the current system, mostly because of scenarios you described above. A spear should never be able to fit in a glovebox. I should never be able to put a plastic chair or a log in my backpack. Things like that. The system isn’t perfect, but it’d probably be extra tedious to define every item by weight and volume and have different limits on every container type. Not saying it shouldn’t happen though. 

I do think its more realistic to run out of volume in a bag before you run out of weight. Unless you’re carrying bricks or tons of ammo, you’re not likely going to exceed the weight limits of most backpacks, but you would realistically run out of volume pretty quickly. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:05 AM, CaptKaspar said:

I think the “weight” value currently is more of an “encumbrance” value. Thats why things like plastic outdoor chairs that realistically weigh next to nothing have a higher value than for example an axe. They might be light but they’re awkward to carry around. 

I don’t love the current system, mostly because of scenarios you described above. A spear should never be able to fit in a glovebox. I should never be able to put a plastic chair or a log in my backpack. Things like that. The system isn’t perfect, but it’d probably be extra tedious to define every item by weight and volume and have different limits on every container type. Not saying it shouldn’t happen though. 

I do think its more realistic to run out of volume in a bag before you run out of weight. Unless you’re carrying bricks or tons of ammo, you’re not likely going to exceed the weight limits of most backpacks, but you would realistically run out of volume pretty quickly. 

CDDA have a very realistic and advanced system for weight/size/length, including pockets. Not saying Zomboid should as advanced (though I wouldn't mind it), but can be looked for inspiration for anyone wandering.

• 1 month later...

1175 (we do run through suggestions, don't we?) -> The administrator can open one screen with the server status (memory usage, client FPS, server FPS, network activity and so on). It would be good if normal players could open it too. This is a great tool to debug network, load and speed problems. Maybe some setting on the server .ini file?

1176 -> If I'm not mistaken, today we transfer first the smaller items, then the bigger ones. It can lead to situations where we would have enough storage - but the items are poorly distributed. My suggestion is to invert this: start with the biggest one that we could fit, and go working down. This way the available space would be better used.

1177 -> We have a "loot all" button, to grab everything in a contaner. I'd like to see the opposite: a "storage all" (so to speak) button on our inventory. It would be a simple and easy way to transfer everything.

Edited by Paternot
typo

1178 -> When we enable backups, the server creates files named "backup_1.zip", "backup_2.zip" and so on. But if doing more than 9 backups, then the file "backup_10.zip" will be listed before "backup_1.zip". One simple way to solve this is naming the files "backup_001.zip". This way they will always be listed in order, and since we can't have more than 300 backup files...

• 1 month later...

1180. Underwear should have a category different than other clothing, such as "Underwear" instead of "Clothing" to make it easier to sort.

1181. Dice and Playing Cards should not be labeled as junk, they are usable.

1182. Razors should be labeled as "Appereance" and not as junk, they can be used to change hairstlyles.

1183. Empty Beer Cans are labeled as "Water containers", though they can't keep water (Empty Pop Can and Empty Tin Can are called "Material").

• 2 weeks later...

1184. Use farming seeds as bait for stick traps. 

1185. Wet clothing should increase encumbrance and have a negative run speed modifier. 

1186. Cars should collect snow when stationary during snowfall. 

1187. Preview hairstyle before cutting it. You can do this with makeup. 

Edited by CaptKaspar

1188. Crops should not grow in winter. It should not be just slowed. Perhaps if this is too harsh then there could be a server/sandbox option to disable crops growing in winter? The first good frost (below about 30F) would kill off any crops growing. Force us to find a way to grow crops indoors during the winter. 

1189. Water barrels, cooking pots, buckets, etc full of water should freeze and need to be unfrozen before use. Freezing of food is already in game. 

1190. Food left outside below freezing should freeze.

Edited by CaptKaspar

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread
On 1/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, CaptKaspar said:

1164. Carpenters of a minimum level (TBD) should be able to disassemble player built walls. Currently a sledgehammer is needed to destroy them. 

I dunno, I used to work as a framer, there's really no qualifier between a "professionally built" wall and a "homemade wall" if you have the know how and proper materials.

One thing that REALLY irks me is the unfinished walls in game have a cross beam going *diagonally*...

not only is this something that makes construction unnecessarily difficult, it's not up to code and you'd never see ANYONE do this in America at least. Two sticks per wall segment is appropriate, not a diagonal piece.

1191. Horde noises. the same way corpses will start to gather flies when close to one another, "live" zombies should do the same by making one large noise together when idling or aggro'd onto the player (essentially a horde version of the attack noise zombies make when in close proximity to the player). it should begin more subtly when in lower numbers, but when a large group of zombies have gathered their noises start to shift into the group's noise being more prominent than just individual noises.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:32 PM, CaptKaspar said:

1188. Crops should not grow in winter. It should not be just slowed. Perhaps if this is too harsh then there could be a server/sandbox option to disable crops growing in winter? The first good frost (below about 30F) would kill off any crops growing. Force us to find a way to grow crops indoors during the winter. 

Sounds like you're overhauling farming! Love to see it and thank you! Excited to see different seasons for different crops, an expansion of the variety of crops, as well as adding herbs/spices that can be grown!

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2022/11/farm-of-fear/