Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

Since in the mondoid its mentioned that small but important stuff are added such as drying of towels and that we are urged to suggest in the forums. I have started a thread so that others may pile up their most important feature that is not very complicated but you think should be in vanilla.

I want to suggest some others that might be a good thing to add

1. Removing of zombie ash (burned zombie - currently no way of doing this unless using a mod)

2. Addition of Red and Black paint (its rimary colors and black is a popular paint colour for some).

3. Removing redundant distribution files that has been replaced to avoid confusion.

4. Making wearable stuff like clothes and skirts to become moddable like the rest of the items ( this might be hard but will add so much to the game if its enabled )

37 minutes ago, Strats said:

I like these! Going off of the zombie ash, perhaps it would be possible for us to see burned areas of forest slowly recover and grow back grass?

Yes the zombie ash cleaning is like blood cleaning so if they dont provide a mean to do that there will be dirty ashes all over the place so what do you do when a zombie got burned and died on your lawn. You can only sulk at the moment and maybe download my "PZ Vanilla Patch" mod to remove it but i would rather its included in the vanilla game :).

1 hour ago, ShuiYin said:

Since in the mondoid its mentioned that small but important stuff are added such as drying of towels and that we are urged to suggest in the forums. I have started a thread so that others may pile up their most important feature that is not very complicated but you think should be in vanilla.

I want to suggest some others that might be a good thing to add

1. Removing of zombie ash (burned zombie - currently no way of doing this unless using a mod)

2. Addition of Red and Black paint (its rimary colors and black is a popular paint colour for some).

3. Removing redundant distribution files that has been replaced to avoid confusion.

4. Making wearable stuff like clothes and skirts to become moddable like the rest of the items ( this might be hard but will add so much to the game if its enabled )

You can remove ash right now, but you have to do it with a sledgehammer!

I have some sugestions for cooking, I know this will not make great difference in the gameplay, but i like to think it will give a good flavor to the game.

How about put the recipes of bread, cake and pie in just one Good cooking magazine (maybe call it bakery apretince magazine) and add a recipe for pancakes? (also how about some mapple syrup, honey and jam for the pancakes?)

And add a Italian cuisine magazine (maybe call it Mama's Old Recipes) that contains recipes for pizza, tomato sauce (that can be jarred maybe?), fresh pasta (not the convencional pasta in game, but one tha spoils really faster if not cooked soon) and fresh lasagna noodles (like the fresh pasta)

And add lasagna noodles in the way pasta is in game, so if you find the normal lasagna noodles in game you can make lasagna without reading the magazine?

Also, this is kind of minor, but I like to think that you don't wanna toss a whole tomato or cabbage in a dish, you'll like add a chopped/diced/sliced tomato or cabbage into a dish, then maybe, if you don't want to put the whole item in the dish, you need to chop (in game, let's use just chop maybe) it first, than you can add just part of it, but it has a downwards, after chopped, an item will spoil really faster, as it will do IRL, how about make this for meats and vegetables that are not small like peas.

Have some other ideas to put down the line, just need to organize them first.

9. Make it so heavy stuff which is drainable (bag of coal, spray can, paint, water bottles, bag of cement etc.) changes weight accordingly with 'uses left' bar, so a bag of coal which has 1 use left will not weight 8.0 or a bottle of water with one sip left will not weight 0.8. You get the idea.

10. Make it so used drainable stuff consolidate with one another, for example 2 bags of coal with half of uses left will make full bag of coal (it might be a bit awkward with painkillers, though, as they are in blisters... or propane tanks). Also usefull with cans of paint of the same colour. Blindcoder did a mod for that.

11. Make it so we can pour gas from one canister to another. Or make them consolidate, but keep the gas can.

12. Make it so existing walls can be painted/plastered.

12a. Make plastering/painting change the appearance only of 1 side of a wall so we can choose inside and outside colours separately.

13. Make it so you can equip a bag from your hand directly to your back and directly from your back to your hand (we need to unequip and equip again atm).

13a. Same thing as above but for 2 handed weapons that are equipped in one hand and we would like to equip it in both hands. Or the other way round.

14. Make it so we can put garbage bags into rubbish bins and metal barrels to create a water collector. Or just clean said containers thoroughly with bleach and use as water collectors without bags.

15. Make it so we can pour fresh water into existing box, barrel, and other collectors for indoor storage.

16. Make it so we can empty a collector from water (to move collectors). TBH I'm not sure if this is implemented already or not. (not my idea)

17. Make it so we can use seeds as bird/squirrel/rodent bait in traps (not my idea).

18. Make it so we can open doors and windows with a crowbar (penalty for that would be noise). (We can't do that now, can we?)

19. Make it so we can break the glass in openable windows and then open the window to climb through it without injuries and without the need to clear the broken glass.

20. Make it so we can break glass in doors with glass to open the door.

21. Make it so we can choose the fill for our shelves and book cases and what not. Guns on a bookshelf certainly don't look like books :) Though, that would require some of Mash's magic.

22. Propane tank bomb.

23. Make it so we can move entire doors without breaking them (door must be unlocked and it would require a screwdriver or other tools).

24. Give mailboxes a small inventory where magazines and newspapers would spawn.

25. Make it possible to power a gas station fuel pump with a generator (there is a mod for that already).

26. Make it so street lights are not on 24/7 and make some of them flicker/don't turn on at evening/night.

27. A button to toggle visibility of entire outsides of buildings, street lamps etc. (so upper floors don't disappear when you get close).

28. Make traffic lights animated when power is on (low priority :))

29. Make an option in game settings for a character to automatically turn the lights in a room on upon entering and off upon leaving.

30. Make metal bar and metal pipe weapons.

31. Make it so chainlink fence doors do not leave planks when destroyed (wire maybe? metal pipes/bars?).

32. Make it so it does not snow nor rain in MU underground and metal hangars.

33. Make it so those entire-wall-section-tall windows can be just walked through when glass is broken (so no need to press "e" to jump over imaginary ledge).

33a. Make it so it takes more planks to barricade said windows (would require new art, I think).

34. Create new art for barricading wide windows (we put nails into glass atm).

34a. Make it so when you break double window it breaks in the other section as well (would require new art, I think).

Edited by Geras

35. Make it possible to have power on roofs you can actually access via a staircase (like the one of Mul Warehouse).

36. Make it possible to place Exit Signs on doorframes (currently, if you remove one from its doorframe, you can't place it back)

37. Make it possible to open/close shutters and garage doors (More suggestions on this idea HERE)

38. Give us more paintable signs (More suggestions on this idea HERE)

39. Make Soda Vending Machines capable of cooling.

40. Make is so starting a fire on a charcoal BBQ uses same firestarters as a campfire (clothes, twigs etc.).
41. Make soda dispensers usable (fill bottles and cups with soda!).
42. Make those office water dispensers refillable and add an option to remove that big bottle on top from it.
43. Make ladders that are already in the game world usable.
44. Make all roofs and all under-an-angle stuff walkable (so roofs and MU railyard underground hangars basically).
45. Make molotovs from any glass bottle.
45a. Use petrol for molotovs.
46. Take nails from bags for barricading automatically.
47. Water-specific foliage near water and on the water itself.
48. Fix bowl of beans giving a mood bonus as can of beans gives mood penalty.
49. Make it so I can't stuff myself with dog food or rats and then just read a book or three to feel happy again.
50. Sleeping bags to improve quality of sleep in a tent / on couches/benches.
51. Make Park Ranger and Lumberjack move quicker then rest through woods.
52. Someone else mentioned that burned grass and foliage should regrow.
53. In random burnt houses there are perfectly fine posters and paintings hanging on walls. Same goes for light switches. Also halves of tables standing on two legs defying gravity.
54. Sleeping in bathtubs and on toilets.

54a. Sleeping on the ground (Sleeping bag would help! Rain would wake you up when sleeping outside!)
55. Bags found on zombies should have some random/useful stuff inside.
56. Random zombie senses/strenght/speed/travel distance, random group sizes, many zombies not forming groups at all, random migration times, random respawn times and random respawned zombie count.

57. Make it possible to walk across wide stairs (invisible wall atm). http://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.41836410782883027,0.1619607441212,325.04533736798015

Edited by Geras

What Geras and Blake81 said! Wow, I really have to think hard for another one. You two nailed it!

58. Make two tile items movable. Beds, couches, etc.

59. Make it so we can add rice and pasta to soup.

60. Random Electricity/Water option for servers.

I agree that #56 would probably have the best impact on gameplay.

I'm taking credit for #17!

Don't know if these count, but here are a few that I'd like to see:

1. Random creepy noises in the woods (swaying bushes that could mean a zombie or nothing, howls of a pack of feral dogs).

2. A short looping animation for the water.

3. A large amount of bodies in one area slow you down.

4. Fire does not burn chain fences/ any kind of non-flammable metal material. 

5. Remote controls can be linked to various in-game electronics by a high-level Electrician (radios, TVs, lights, etc.)

6. Snow slows down movement speed in the winter and long exposure to the cold causes unhappiness. 

7. Creepy sounds and/or images for a short period after a player awakens from a nightmare.

7 hours ago, Geras said:

9. Make it so heavy stuff which is drainable (bag of coal, spray can, paint, water bottles, bag of cement etc.) changes weight accordingly with 'uses left' bar, so a bag of coal which has 1 use left will not weight 8.0 or a bottle of water with one sip left will not weight 0.8. You get the idea.

10. Make it so used drainable stuff consolidate with one another, for example 2 bags of coal with half of uses left will make full bag of coal (it might be a bit awkward with painkillers, though, as they are in blisters... or propane tanks). Also usefull with cans of paint of the same colour. Blindcoder did a mod for that.

11. Make it so we can pour gas from one canister to another. Or make them consolidate, but keep the gas can.

12. Make it so existing walls can be painted/plastered.

12a. Make plastering/painting change the appearance only of 1 side of a wall so we can choose inside and outside colours separately.

13. Make it so you can equip a bag from your hand directly to your back and directly from your back to your hand (we need to unequip and equip again atm).

13a. Same thing as above but for 2 handed weapons that are equipped in one hand and we would like to equip it in both hands. Or the other way round.

14. Make it so we can put garbage bags into rubbish bins and metal barrels to create a water collector. Or just clean said containers thoroughly with bleach and use as water collectors without bags.

15. Make it so we can pour fresh water into existing box, barrel, and other collectors for indoor storage.

16. Make it so we can empty a collector from water (to move collectors). TBH I'm not sure if this is implemented already or not. (not my idea)

17. Make it so we can use seeds as bird/squirrel/rodent bait in traps (not my idea).

18. Make it so we can open doors and windows with a crowbar (penalty for that would be noise). (We can't do that now, can we?)

19. Make it so we can break the glass in openable windows and then open the window to climb through it without injuries and without the need to clear the broken glass.

20. Make it so we can break glass in doors with glass to open the door.

21. Make it so we can choose the fill for our shelves and book cases and what not. Guns on a bookshelf certainly don't look like books :) Though, that would require some of Mash's magic.

22. Propane tank bomb.

23. Make it so we can move entire doors without breaking them (door must be unlocked and it would require a screwdriver or other tools).

24. Give mailboxes a small inventory where magazines and newspapers would spawn.

25. Make it possible to power a gas station fuel pump with a generator (there is a mod for that already).

26. Make it so street lights are not on 24/7 and make some of them flicker/don't turn on at evening/night.

27. A button to toggle visibility of entire outsides of buildings, street lamps etc. (so upper floors don't disappear when you get close).

28. Make traffic lights animated when power is on (low priority :))

29. Make an option in game settings for a character to automatically turn the lights in a room on upon entering and off upon leaving.

30. Make metal bar and metal pipe weapons.

31. Make it so chainlink fence doors do not leave planks when destroyed (wire maybe? metal pipes/bars?).

32. Make it so it does not snow nor rain in MU underground and metal hangars.

33. Make it so those entire-wall-section-tall windows can be just walked through when glass is broken (so no need to press "e" to jump over imaginary ledge).

33a. Make it so it takes more planks to barricade said windows (would require new art, I think).

34. Create new art for barricading wide windows (we put nails into glass atm).

34a. Make it so when you break double window it breaks in the other section as well (would require new art, I think).

6 hours ago, Blake81 said:

35. Make it possible to have power on roofs you can actually access via a staircase (like the one of Mul Warehouse).

36. Make it possible to place Exit Signs on doorframes (currently, if you remove one from its doorframe, you can't place it back)

37. Make it possible to open/close shutters and garage doors (More suggestions on this idea HERE)

38. Give us more paintable signs (More suggestions on this idea HERE)

39. Make Soda Vending Machines capable of cooling.

6 hours ago, Geras said:

40. Make is so starting a fire on a charcoal BBQ uses same firestarters as a campfire (clothes, twigs etc.).
41. Make soda dispensers usable (fill bottles and cups with soda!).
42. Make those office water dispensers refillable and add an option to remove that big bottle on top from it.
43. Make ladders that are already in the game world usable.
44. Make all roofs and all under-an-angle stuff walkable (so roofs and MU railyard underground hangars basically).
45. Make molotovs from any glass bottle.
45a. Use petrol for molotovs.
46. Take nails from bags for barricading automatically.
47. Water-specific foliage near water and on the water itself.
48. Fix bowl of beans giving a mood bonus as can of beans gives mood penalty.
49. Make it so I can't stuff myself with dog food or rats and then just read a book or three to feel happy again.
50. Sleeping bags to improve quality of sleep in a tent / on couches/benches.
51. Make Park Ranger and Lumberjack move quicker then rest through woods.
52. Someone else mentioned that burned grass and foliage should regrow.
53. In random burnt houses there are perfectly fine posters and paintings hanging on walls. Same goes for light switches. Also halves of tables standing on two legs defying gravity.
54. Sleeping in bathtubs and on toilets.

54a. Sleeping on the ground (Sleeping bag would help! Rain would wake you up when sleeping outside!)
55. Bags found on zombies should have some random/useful stuff inside.
56. Random zombie senses/strenght/speed/travel distance, random group sizes, many zombies not forming groups at all, random migration times, random respawn times and random respawned zombie count.

57. Make it possible to walk across wide stairs (invisible wall atm). http://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.41836410782883027,0.1619607441212,325.04533736798015

4 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

What Geras and Blake81 said! Wow, I really have to think hard for another one. You two nailed it!

58. Make two tile items movable. Beds, couches, etc.

59. Make it so we can add rice and pasta to soup.

60. Random Electricity/Water option for servers.

I agree that #56 would probably have the best impact on gameplay.

I'm taking credit for #17!

2 hours ago, Strats said:

Don't know if these count, but here are a few that I'd like to see:

1. Random creepy noises in the woods (swaying bushes that could mean a zombie or nothing, howls of a pack of feral dogs).

2. A short looping animation for the water.

3. A large amount of bodies in one area slow you down.

4. Fire does not burn chain fences/ any kind of non-flammable metal material. 

5. Remote controls can be linked to various in-game electronics by a high-level Electrician (radios, TVs, lights, etc.)

6. Snow slows down movement speed in the winter and long exposure to the cold causes unhappiness. 

7. Creepy sounds and/or images for a short period after a player awakens from a nightmare.

Wow so many suggestions :)

btw point no 12 letting us paint existing walls is also a good one provided it dont lose the indestructable status but painting 1 side will take a lot of work and also since we cannot rotate view we will never be able to see the inside of some walls. (are you sure we cant do this already)

point no 13 is really usefull exchanging bags and weapons to equipped status without unequipping first (might take quite an effort)

point no 17 about seeds being bait is also a good idea (not really into trapping so i dont know if seeds cant be used to trap birds at the moment)

point no 23 yes i hope we can move doors in the future. (nice to have and not shouldnt be very complex to do)

point no 24 i was also hoping mailboxes have a small inventory (i remember when i first play this game to always click on the mailboxes Lol)

point no 25 i was also hoping powering fuel station with generator can make it to vanilla,

point no 31 i hope metal items when destroyed will leave metal oriented parts instead of wooden parts (this might require a lot of effort)

point no 42 i really wished we can refill the dispensers and replace the bottle on top (not minor and will require quite an effort)

point no 45 molotov using petrol and any bottle should be easy to do.

point no 58 moving 2 tiled objects (hard to do i think but really will open up a lot of possiblities)

strats point on snow slowing down movement is also really nice

btw guys i hope you guys try to limit the ideas to just existing items in game and making it better but not introducing new ones (introduce more new problems)

so its a fine tuning of current game mechanics suggestion :)

#im adding 1 more suggestion that might be hard to do but if done will open up loads of positive benefits. Make vanilla recipes editable so like now we cant edit them but only can add a new recipe with a same name and produce a cluttered context menu. So if let say you can remove all the in game recipes and transfer them to the moddable lua area it might solve this problem.

Edited by ShuiYin

I just have the simple request of not be able to read in the dark or craft complex stuff in the dark.

Light sources should be something you want and at the same time you fear, i barely see people using flashlights while raiding and the ONLY time i seen flashlights uses are when making lamp posts, batteries would become a valuable commodity as candles would.

74. Make all sounds attract zombies.

• Right now I don't think zombies are pulled by dogs barking, screams, and other ambient sound events like that. I only ever see them move for gunshots and helicopters.

75. Make open windows/doors bang in the 'wind'.

76. Be able to rest while reading a skill book.

• I think while reading a skill book your character should also rest from exhaustion. Maybe be able to eat as well.

77. Very basic weather indicator. Something like:

• Dark scattered/broken clouds - Expecting rain soon. Short and intense rain.
  • Overcast - Might rain, if it does I should expect long periods of rain.
  • Not a cloud in the sky - Not expecting rain anytime soon.

78. Footprints in snow/mud.

79. Swimming? - might be asking for too much here.

• Or make water passable in some way. I imagine the horror of watching a horde of zombies shamble out of the water! Would also be nice to be able to move in water in case your character ever falls on a water tile. Right now they don't drown, but they are stuck there until a sheet rope can be lowered to them.
Edited by CaptKaspar

I really like #21 as well.

I think this would have a big impact on immersion and help immensely with MP. Just being able to see what is on each shelf visually instead of having to check the contents.

80. Make containers paintable.

• Would be a big help with identifying which items go where in MP. Then you can set rules for your group on where loot goes. For example; green is for food, blue is for medical supplies, red is weapons, orange is for tools, etc. Or whatever your group decides.

82. Make it so day and night length change with seasons (did a quick test, on 21th of December it gets dark at 9pm, where it should at 5:20pm). http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/louisville

83. Dig holes with shovel or trowel (or bare hands for that matter) as a first step of building a log wall (not my idea). That should prevent building log walls on concrete or asphalt or hard surfaces.

84. Being in a room with a wall clock shows current time.

EDIT

85. Make it so a hot cuppa does not consume an entire coffee jar.

85a. Make it so hot cuppa recipes requires being close to a heat source (working oven, lit campfire, lit BBQ etc.)

86. Make it so our character automatically picks first aid stuff from first aid kits in inventory or backpack when clicking RMB on health screen. I find myself never using first aid kits because you need to equip them first and manually take the stuff out. Too much hassle to be useful.

87. Make it so barbed wire has more uses then just 1 per piece.

Edited by Geras

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread
  • nasKo pinned this topic