Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

1 hour ago, Mumbler said:

I am....forgainst this idea.  On one hand, it could add variety to both the visual side of mobs of zombies and the combat aspect of approaching said mobs.

On the other hand, every time I've ever seen a Z in media pick up a rock or tool and use it, even in the most rudimentary way, my brain immediately goes "that's f'ing stupid.".  So, forgainst it.

Yep. Only thing I'd like is bruising from zombies trying, but failing, to grab you. Welding / holding weapons is out. 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Damien Darkside said:

Two options for the sandbox menu I'd love to see

Water Shutoff: Never
Electricity Shutoff: Never

It doesn't have to be "never" in the code, just 99999 days. I always play with the 0-5 years setting for sandbox, but now I have this thing were it's still "it going to shut off tomorrow or three years from now".

I hate playing this game without electricity or water. At that point its just "drink bleach start new character this file is ruined", since it doesn't allow me to live in my customized house that I spent hours in. Nights for me become very boring. Gameplay becomes way more limited. The game isn't fun anymore past the lights going out. I get that you guys want a realistic game, but if you can give me 0-5 years range on Sandbox Options, we should have a "never" option for shutoffs. I can already turn off zombie infections, this is the one last thing preventing me from fully enjoying and investing in Zomboid, the lingering fear of "instead of a zombie horde overwhelming you on a supply run, the light and water turns off and you don't want to play anymore".

That's interesting, I like the game the best after the water and power go out and I have to supply those things on my own.

I agree that we should have this setting even though I wouldn't use it, if it's simple enough and lets people play how they want then why not?

On 5/27/2020 at 7:49 PM, Damien Darkside said:

Two options for the sandbox menu I'd love to see

Water Shutoff: Never
Electricity Shutoff: Never

It doesn't have to be "never" in the code, just 99999 days. I always play with the 0-5 years setting for sandbox, but now I have this thing were it's still "it going to shut off tomorrow or three years from now".

I hate playing this game without electricity or water. At that point its just "drink bleach start new character this file is ruined", since it doesn't allow me to live in my customized house that I spent hours in. Nights for me become very boring. Gameplay becomes way more limited. The game isn't fun anymore past the lights going out. I get that you guys want a realistic game, but if you can give me 0-5 years range on Sandbox Options, we should have a "never" option for shutoffs. I can already turn off zombie infections, this is the one last thing preventing me from fully enjoying and investing in Zomboid, the lingering fear of "instead of a zombie horde overwhelming you on a supply run, the light and water turns off and you don't want to play anymore".

Alternatively, a separate min and max options would be ideal. I'm not sure if I didn't suggested it somewhere already in the past?

1112? Merge Crafting and Survivalist together – they don't make sense, First Aid is not crafting and Farming is not much different than Fishing, Trapping and Foraging (they are on the same show, Survival Exposure) – I think having two categories for this isn't really needed and could free up some space.

I do see Fallagorn's point. However I think it is best that the two stay separate, and that the system we have now is better. I am just now looking through the systems they've overhauled or made feature complete, and they're very, very in-depth. Despite some of my posts may be a bit hard on TIS, I will always give them the leeway because they do deliver in the end. Vehicles are super in-depth, the animations and clothing systems are crazy cool. I don't see why they won't focus more on crafting content in a future update.

If they spend an update adding a ton of content (such as my "Let us build furniture we find" to flesh out the carpentry more) and other things, those categories are going to be FULL. This is more to your comments about First Aid, Farming, and Fishing being "the same", because I can EASILY see TIS taking time to really develop the first aid in the game. Especially with creating  

Also survival crafting is different from normal crafting. Crafting is like "Lets put all the pens in this box" and more using manufactured goods to create something. Survival is more like "I'm going to use this stick and this log to make a fire" and improvised crafted items. Plus again, they can easily add a ton.

I say this because mods have made excellent use of their crafting system. Plus TIS has a great "Filter All" that is a godsend. This system seems to be more "we have a good working concept" and now it's really going to ramp up.

Plus they can still do a bit of what you said, trapping and foraging can totally be combined into a group called "Wilderness Crafting" or "Hunting" and throw Survivalist in there. It's all Wood-sy. So your point isn't crap, but I do feel like TIS is really going to add like, 25+ recipes to each category with some of these updates and we just got the framework here.

I'm not too crazy about the idea of zombies attaching with objects/weapons either. The only zombie movie that I can think of that could have had them doing such things was probably in a zombie movie spoof. Like Sean of the Dean or another that has a comedy side to it. And I do not care for funny zombie movies. Zombies are supposed to be brain dead, driven by an instinct to devour flesh. I doubt they could even register what a hammer or cleaver is, much less realize it could be used as a weapon to help secure the flesh it desires. That's process thinking and I can't wrap my head around a zombie being able to do that.

Interesting idea though....perhaps for a different game???

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, fcolley3 said:

I'm not too crazy about the idea of zombies attaching with objects/weapons either. The only zombie movie that I can think of that could have had them doing such things was probably in a zombie movie spoof. Like Sean of the Dean or another that has a comedy side to it. And I do not care for funny zombie movies. Zombies are supposed to be brain dead, driven by an instinct to devour flesh. I doubt they could even register what a hammer or cleaver is, much less realize it could be used as a weapon to help secure the flesh it desires. That's process thinking and I can't wrap my head around a zombie being able to do that.

Interesting idea though....perhaps for a different game???

Lots of zombies using tools in Romero's Land of the Dead (example) but that movie also has an intelligent zombie who even appears to be capable of feeling emotions.

6 hours ago, Damien Darkside said:

You guys are confusing "item in hand" with "using tools". They are two completely separate things.

No, the answer is the same.

Aside from the temporary contraction of muscles after death, there’s no reason a zombie would have something in their hands. Given that zombies are immediately mobile, that likely doesn’t happen.

Personally, I’d like it, but it’s already been decided that zombies will not be holding items in PZ’s lore.

1103. Cologne should be a (weak) disinfectant

1104. Comb should be required to achieve some hairstlyes

1105. Can opener should break for game balance (I know they don't break easily, but so do tools – wasn't it suggested before? I also remember suggesting hammer for the same reasn before)

Edited by Faalagorn

1. Dunno if anyone mentioned this but empty jar does not hold water. You would think that you can fill it up if you do not have bottle but atm it is not possible to fill it from tap

2. Possibility to jump over the create or counter same way like through fence

3. Resting on the ground - when you take a seat on the ground you should be able to rest - maybe furniture would allow you to rest faster to do not make them obsolete?

4.gas mask should prevent from being sick from dead bodies

Edited by pzfreak
added 4

1108. I searched on the forum, it seems there is no such question. I understand that this is quite difficult (probably even impossible), but it would be possible to make a visualization of the completeness (if the character is fat, then you can see that he is different from a person with a normal weight . If it is thin, this is also displayed visually on it). Sorry for my English, I'm not local)

9 hours ago, Yogev said:

1108. I searched on the forum, it seems there is no such question. I understand that this is quite difficult (probably even impossible), but it would be possible to make a visualization of the completeness (if the character is fat, then you can see that he is different from a person with a normal weight . If it is thin, this is also displayed visually on it). Sorry for my English, I'm not local)

I think I get what you mean, you want the sillhouette and model of the player reflect their weight – a similar feature was there in Jagged Alliance 2 actually, strong merceneries had different body types than the weak ones.

1111. Toiler paper should be a real multi-tool as in real life:

a) it should be used to contain sneezing (I think some mod allows that already)

b) it should be used to dry the player

c) it should be used as a fire starter

d) potentially should also allow writing on it

e) it would be funny, but it could also be used as a really low quality bandaid :)

That alone would make it even more valuable than now!

1113. Club Hammer, Ball-peen Hammer and Wooden Mallet should be usable for crafting

1114. Car tools should break with use eventually (same as my other tool suggestions)

1115.  I suggested that for Saw before, but with animations now, both the old Saw and the new Garden Saw especially should be weapons now and so should be Mop (also suggested before)

1116. Empty Ketchup Bottle

1117. Bottle should not have caps/corks/etc. on models, as it's funny when you drink or pour them to the ground (unless you actually plan for two different models for them)

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread