Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

1034: New 'Rope Ladder' item (crafted from 2x rope and 6x Sturdy Stick) - Used the same as a sheet rope (Requires 2x nails to the window). Is faster to climb, and less prone to being ripped down.

1035: Ability to use normal Rope on windows, instead of just sheet rope. Is slightly faster to climb, and less prone to being ripped down

1036: Ability to fall from rope climbing (injuring the player). Using the rope/rope ladder suggestions above, the chance is relatively high on Sheet Rope, and pretty minor on Rope Ladder.

1037: Voiced shouts, like when (on my keyboard) you press Q and shout "Over here!"
We already have the character screaming as they die, so it won't be an immersion "that ain't my voice" issue, since the voice is established.

1038: Modular sound pitch for zombies so each one doesn't sound exactly the same, even if they're using the same voiceclips.

1 hour ago, Brex said:

YES. I've always hated how blood splatter floats (or appears at all) on fences. Same with certain signs on broken windows

Speaking of broken windows, I've always hated how when double windows are broken (twice), it creates two individual holes instead of one large hole. Would it be possible for holes in large windows to join into larger holes instead of remaining adjacent smaller (by comparison) holes.

• 2 weeks later...

1040: Books and Magazines with a different (random) number of pages. Read at the same speed as skill books (per page). The happiness and boredom buffs scale with the number of pages.

A 100 page magazine might give +10 happiness, and take 10m in game to read
A 200 page magazine might give  +15 happiness and take 20m in game to read.

Because right now, the books and magazines are very generic and 'bulk' items - this could be a fast way to spice them up a little. 

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

1040: Books and Magazines with a different (random) number of pages. Read at the same speed as skill books (per page). The happiness and boredom buffs scale with the number of pages.

A 100 page magazine might give +10 happiness, and take 10m in game to read
A 200 page magazine might give  +15 happiness and take 20m in game to read.

Because right now, the books and magazines are very generic and 'bulk' items - this could be a fast way to spice them up a little. 

1041: Lore books would be nice too, like in the Elder Scrolls games. Just some nice Kentucky reading, Spiffo's Adventures Comics, letters in mailboxes and so on and so on. Don't have to be long, just around four pages worth even would be nice, just to aid in immersion.

1042: The return of context sensitive music.

Been playing the older version of the game a lot lately and the music implementation just feels so good. The foreboding sound of being outside, the calm when you retreat into a safe house...
I don't know if there is supposed to still be some context sensitivity as regards to facing a large group of zombies or not, the music seems to be on shuffle for me, with the frantic hoard music sometimes playing in calm situations.

• 2 weeks later...

1044: Transfer bumps when a wheel enters a different type of tile, not including other road tiles, similar to how the car bumps and rocks when going over a corpse. Blend tiles should be ignored, focusing on the tile it is overlaying rather. This would come in four intensities...
Weak:
Moving from one type of tile onto almost any other tile. A slight bump and noise, but nothing dangerous.
Medium:
Moving from any tile into a pothole tile. This could knock you slightly off course but easily manageable.

Heavy:
Going over curbs or the parking barrier things.
Very heavy:
Going over a corpse, same as it is now.

1045: Chance to loudly cough at high exertion levels depending on your player's fitness. "Smoker" trait and high thirst boosts the likelihood by a significant factor.

1046: "Depressed" negative trait which causes slow but steadily rising sadness levels throughout the day. Sadness should have an overall negative effect on everything you do, from item transfer speeds to how fast you run to how fast you read to how much XP you get... Everything is affected. From a gameplay point of view, this makes the most sense. AFAIK it just does nothing now? Severely Depressed moodle should come with the chance of eating a bullet if you have a gun equipped or deep cuts to the wrists if you have a blade equipped. Blunt weapons would actually be safest in this scenario...
In my head I see this as the character will just begin the process without the player having told them to do anything, though it can be interrupted by the player in the same way you'd interrupt any action, you could sprint, move or whatever and the character will give up on the specific attempt. Just don't leave your severely depressed character unattended else THAT will be how you die. The player choosing to off their character is a logical choice, the character choosing to do so is an emotional one, if that makes sense?
On the opposite end of the spectrum you could have the "Easily Amused" positive trait which makes it far harder for you to become bored or unhappy.

1047: Boredom moodle should increase player appetite.

1048: Being able to choose an age between 18 and 50 at character creation. No effect, just if you're gonna show the character age at all, you may as well give the player control over it.

1049: Chance of a zombie opening an unlocked door in Survival. It's not that they can think, but if they're bashing and scratching at a door, there's a good chance they'd open it accidentally by hooking their hand in the handle. Maybe this wouldn't happen with certain doors? Some doors have attributes as it is now, like the black security doors being always locked at first, so a door opening on damage chance attribute shouldn't be too far out of the way.

1050: Zeds should migrate in the direction of thunder and in general should be more active during rain and heavy wind.

Edited by Okamikurainya

• 2 weeks later...

1054: Prevent standing zombies from scratching/biting anywhere below lower torso. With current and future animations playing it looks a bit odd. I mean, leg injuries are cool, but only crawlers should scratch/bite a leg.

1055: More crawlers. I haven't ever seen a naturally generated crawler zombie. They should spawn naturally.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:41 PM, TheMitu97 said:

1054: Prevent standing zombies from scratching/biting anywhere below lower torso. With current and future animations playing it looks a bit odd. I mean, leg injuries are cool, but only crawlers should scratch/bite a leg.

1055: More crawlers. I haven't ever seen a naturally generated crawler zombie. They should spawn naturally.

which reminds me of 

1056: bring back the zombies that pretended to be dead, just standing there waiting for a human to approach, back in the day crawlers used to do that and we've seen from anims that some zeds will be sitting when nothing happens around them

Edited by Livio Persemprio

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, trombonaught said:

Hmm question... is this a thing that happens? What's the basis for this idea?

The basis for this is that you have a mouth... :mellow:

You're dying of dehydration and it starts to rain...
Water, the very thing you need, is literally falling from the sky... What would you do?
I don't see most people throwing up their hands and being like "Welp... All this water ain't in a bottle. Time to die!"
No. They'd open their mouths and drink.

But yeah, it is a thing that happens and something that I've used on hikes to save water.
If you're wondering about the "taint", well unless you're living in a very polluted area, rainwater shouldn't have any (all water used where I live is rainwater stored in large plastic containers connected to the roof). Outside of gameplay balance, the reason water in barrels and such are tainted is because they're left open and standing, allowing bacteria, debris, animals and such to all leave their essence in it.
That said, if they do ever add puddles... Would be cool if you could get tainted water from them.

Jog as a Toggle, not a Hold-Down

Please, please strongly consider making jog a toggle. Not just sprint, but also jog. If you're playing on a keyboard with mouse, it's nearly impossible to hold down a key while trying to move. Worse, due to the awkwardness of the fingers, it's hard to make tight movements - which is vital in the new build with the added zombie difficulty, and likely important if you're jogging! 

Are others experiencing this issue? I don't think I have fat fingers or any such, and I type quite quickly. But trying to find a key that I can hold while also using WASD for movement is... well, I have been tinkering with it to no avail. 

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread