Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

478 :  chance the icon art for some of the containers - it's no big deal but seems unnessessary to loot the mailbox from a regal-container etc - even no new art needed, just use the mailbox head as a picture (others might need new art maybe)  (maybe even the kittchen- and bathrooms sink container show a sink icon instead of the normal regal one)

479: desks in living rooms (like the desks in the childrens rooms which would be used for homework) should be container like desks in school/offices

480: standardize some commands (atm: using a TV is "device options" - for using the stove it's "settings" )

what was already asked I am pretty sure:

-  washing maschine as container and useable (with power) to clean clothes

- for QoL: naming some of the items to better find them in inventory (like the books should all beginn with the topic, no "jumping" of cooked items in the inventory when you add something to them because the name chances to something completly different, boxed items should be listed with the items they contain, paints not sorted by the color but by paint etc)  (I know it's not as easy as this as it is different for every translated language but for the "original english" version it would be great - there are some mods which do this but for QOL it should be into the base game)

EDIT: 

481: some forum-mod to copy all the suggestions and start a new topic with the list which can be better sorted by @Connall  :oops:  guess a lot are multiples, some are already dealt with, others are "no-goes", some are low priority for the devs etc - could be some kind of color coding (red = nogo, green = already included, yellow=wip, orange = later etc) or some sorting by topics... 

482:  make more items "not go through" - you can walk through some items instead of "walking against them" like chairs, toilets (!), mailboxes, stop-signs etc ... maybe it is for later with the anmations update but walking through a toilet or chair when I am stopped by a small low table seems wrong

EDIT2:

483:  First add should be a "survivalist" skill not a "crafting skill" !!!! maybe even rename to "medicin" 

Edited by King-Salomon

8 minutes ago, wsensor said:

484: A way to label crates so that you can hover over them with the mouse and read the label.

+1 !! maybe even possibility to "paint" icons on the box like a hammer-icon, green cross icon, food icon, fishing-rod-icon, seedpacket-icon, weapon icon etc to chance the art of the boxes (would need new art, so something for the future maybe - till then a tooltip "note" would be great

some more tooltips would be great too .. like (but not only)

485: mouse-over tooltips for skills - for newbies it would be a QOL point to get informations about what the different skills are doing/effecting/can be raised by a simple tooltip for overmouse the skill - maybe the text could be copied from the wiki http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Skills (effects) if still up-to-date 

Edited by King-Salomon

I was asked by @Bioweapon to post this for him:

I just made an account and I haven't figured out how to post yet. I wanted to post on the small but important suggestion thread about some ideas I had. I've only read a few pages so sorry if any of these are repeats.

1. High levels of Exhaustion, Pain, Panic, hunger, thirst, and tiredness should each chip away at a player's mood. Running track all day as you frantically shoot at zombies on an empty stomach in an extreme panic is a good way to ruin an afternoon or at least make you twitchy for the rest of the night. Being forced to work long into the night without sleep would piss anyone off. Breaking a leg is a rather frustrating occurrence. Maybe add an anger mood-let as an addition to the sad and bored ones. Maybe add a happy mood-let to balance. Like, you can be a little bored, but content. Be an ecstatic drunken mess because you fortified the bar and are downing the stock or whatever. Instead of being bored or not bored, you can also be fairly entertained.  Moods don't need to have a huge impact on the character traits though, it just helps make your character feel a little bit more human and you can sympathize with whats going on in his head.

2. #1 opens up a lot of possibilities for character traits too. You can give your characters some bizarre mental disorders or personality quirks that change the way the mood system works. Pessimist vs optimist, You could be a sadistic bastard and gain happiness from killing zombies, pacifist ought get a little depressed after fighting a bunch of zombies or hunting animals, a masochist who stops panicking and stressing out when he gets hurt (virtual wrist slitting? Lol), a Happy drunk, an angry drunk, a bookworm who doesn't get bored reading technical books and gets bonus happiness from reading other literature (also make the time it takes reading a whole novel vs a magazine a little more reasonable, and have the benefit slowly apply over the entire period of reading), possibly a gamer trait that gains unhappiness for prolonged times without using an electronic device but those devices give bonus happiness when used, It also makes perks like short tempered and patient have some visible effect. For instance a short tempered person will often get angry while learning new things. They grow bored faster while reading books or waiting inside. While practicing a new craft they are more likely to hurt themselves, and since they are short tempered pain makes them angry fast. Patient and organized people may take a little longer, but they have a far reduced chance of hurting themselves and getting angry about a situation. If angry or depressed enough, anyone may refuse to do what it was that was making them angry or depressed until their mood improves. Unless they are highly panicked or stressed, which would mean a life or death scenario. Overriding their mood. Brave, determined people need to be in truly dire moods to refuse an action, cowardly people only need to be demoralized to stop functioning. A character wouldn't be able to refuse actions that improve his mood though, to prevent being catatonic and it wouldn't prevent you from actually moving. Brave people will open a door that has zombies pounding on it if it means a chance of survival, even if they are stressed and panicking. Cowardly people better have some beta blockers or another way out, or they are just gonna wait for the zombies to open the door.  Its hard to focus on a book when you are highly panicked. They can make a bunch of phobia traits. Beware of Bathrooms, Fear of the Dark, Second Story Paranoia, Hate Hospitals, I dont know. Make claustrophobia and agoraphobia cause stress and eventually unhappiness instead of panic. Extreme versions of the phobia may cause outright panic if they are being faced head on. Sort of like how there is stout and strong, there would be afraid of and phobic of. This whole topic I could probably go on and on for, but Ill stop here for now.

2.5 High anger should give a small increase to weapon damage. Fighting zombies with melee should increase anger, unless you are a desensitized veteran.

3. You should gain a temporary Queasy modifier when you are shuffling corpses around or standing directly on top of one. I know there is already a system in place for something like this but just a quick queasy that goes away like a slight panic does as soon as you leave the room or drop the corpse into a fire. Maybe have the iron gut perk counter this.

4. Pretty small, but maybe have mood modifiers attached to certain programs on TV or Radio. It should always decrease your boredom until the silence comes. Depressing coverage by the news and call ins on the radio of the knox event would sadden most, and send some cowardly people into an anxious or stressed mood. Watching practically anything else or listening to music would have a more positive effect on ones mood.

5. Pigging out till your stuffed should make you tired and exert quicker, but give a small happiness boost.

6. A bunch of other stuff that I forget and will have to think of later.

17 hours ago, NebNebber said:

Yeah, i learned this from posting that suggestion. However for me its not spacebar as i have that set to 'ready weapon'/sneak as i find it more comfortable.

I also recently learned about the 1,2,3 hot keys for equipping weapons.

Funny to still learn after 300+ hours.

Small but important suggestion :  is there no in game maps/annotated maps avaliable for the Mall area? There should be altho iv never found one, is this considered part of West Point or does it have another name?

Valley station doens't have any map, as mall. Only West-Point, Mauldraugh, Rosewood, March Ridge, Riverside.

I have 13 different little suggestions:

494. Cots and folding lawnchairs fold up without breaking down. Even though they are both two tiles big I think it should be possible to fold them up to be moved. This would make the carpentry skill less necessary for characters who are going to live in a factory or commercial building.

495. Folding chairs should be lighter.  There might also maybe be a very rare camp stool of some kind. Right now I carry a white plastic chair with me on long journeys, which seems silly.

496. Some foods should be destroyed by freezing, like cabbage, lettuce, radish, and potatoes. Maybe they could go straight to spoiled when they unfreeze. In a previous build, I would stash tons of food in the freezer and it would all stay frozen days after the power went out. I presume you could run the generator just enough to keep them frozen for a long time. This is a cool strategy, but it ought to require more trial and error.

497. A few rare zombies, if there is no activity in their zone for a long time, lay down and take a nap. They can get up to chase player if he or she runs really close by. I think this would add some surprise and freshness to zombie behavior. 

498. Some zombies could seek shade instead of baking out in the sun during summertime.  This might only be implemented when zombies are realized on the map, so that in summer they tend to be under awnings or just inside the treeline.  I think this would make zombies more lethal in open spaces, as they will be more likely to appear suddenly. If it only happened in the summer, it would also add some more depth to zombie behavior. 

499. Add the ability to dry some varieties of fruits, vegetables and meats.  It is the most ancient method of preserving food. School kids build solar dryers and ovens in school, why shouldn't our characters? A deluxe solar dryer could be built from wood, nails, a lawnchair, and lots of foil. This would give foil another use.

500. Improve visual feedback for deaf characters. When you look inside the refrigerator, a light should come on. It would also be cool if there was some way to make it appear there is a helicopter overhead when the helicopter appears.  Maybe a shadow on the ground, or a wind effect? Or, a little red icon in the bottom right.

501. Farmers should start with the ability to run generators. This is logical because there are generators located on many farms, and it makes sense because farmers often maintain farm vehicles themselves.

502. Engineers should be able to use two mirrors and some newspaper to start a fire.  This would make mirrors useful, and enable engineers as an alternative survivalist character, especially if the ability to use a fire drill is restricted to rangers and other outdoorsy types.

503. Add a way to put 12 sticks into a campfire quickly. When a player uses the contextual menu to add one thing to a fire, then they go back into that same contextual memory, there is an option to add one item, or all the items of that type to the fire.

504. More long term erosion, especially for servers, which people will play for a long time. Burnt houses decay into ash piles after a year. Zombie corpses decay into skeletons after a month.

505. The ability to hide in dumpsters, camouflaged by the smell, and wait until zombies go away. Ought to be able to read and eat and sleep in there too.  I think this would lead to funny situations where someone might jump into a dumpster, then the undead might bang on it for awhile, then forget they're in there. But the player would be trapped and have to deal with starvation and dehydration while they hope the zombies will be distracted by something like a dog or gunshot.

506. Teachers as a profession could have two or three points in a random skill, and get the fast reader trait at a higher level.

The ability to sharpen bladed weapons

at least make a level one metalworking

Also have it to where we can find a dull or sharpened weapon

dull weapons also gets nerfed a little bit

make a new item like a knife sharpener or a sharpening stone, something around that nature

Edited by guinnadam
I forgot something

Zed numbers increase without respawn.

Could we please have a sandbox option so that you can start with low zombie numbers and have them increase up until the peak population day without having to have respawn on? I don't know how complicated this would be to implement but at it's most crudest could we not just have an option in sandbox to have respawn on until peak population day? so basically respawn is on up until the game reaches what ever day the player has set as the peak population day.

Variable zed migration.

Could we have an option for variable zed migration? Instead of having it set to 24 hours or 72 hours for instance it could be set as 24 to 72 hours, 12 to 36 hours etc. This way zombies migrating to fill an area that has been cleared out would not be so predictable as it is now

1 hour ago, Fortport said:

This suggestion is for making an odd chance/guarantee that a table will spawn with a tablecloth, which could be removed and used as a sheet.

Most homes in real life have a dinner table, and most dinner tables have tablecloths. In Project Zomboid, a lot of tables don't have one or simply don't have a sheet that can be removed from it. At the beginning of most of my playthroughs, I have to run around a bit before I have found curtains for my windows at a base.

I'm not sure if this would make the game too easy because there aren't exactly a million tables per home, and it would help me cover four or five windows earlier than the game lets me currently. Hardly a game-changing suggestion, but it might make things easier for starting out. You could cover all your windows as soon as you begin within the first day or so, which isn't too terribly unrealistic if you're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and that was your priority. Sheet ropes aren't really OP either.

Armour. This was suggested 100 times before, i just wanna add a little bit in it.
If you ain't wearing any armour ( cloth at least ) - you will get bite in 100% guarantee, instead of "punch" or "scratch". 
Why? Because that's stupid. If zombies trying to eat you - why they just "punch" you? Or scratch? As i know, PZ zombies canon are based on J. Romero films..

Different types of armour will have different percent of "scratches" instead of bites. ( Or even punches, if armour so tought )
Usual clothes - 15% chance of scratch, 85% of bite. 
Lether jacket - 10% chance of punch, 30% chance of scratch, 60% of bite.

This was only example. And yeah, don't say that this will make PZ more hardcore. This game is not about how you live one thousand years and die in peaceful place. 

Edited by DramaSetter

I am not sure to which dev I should come with this suggestion but here goes:

517. Add Foraging to some "forgotten" areas. For example I always loved the area of "Lake Village" but found it hard to play there since I have to rely on foraging for many things but the area is not configured for such a thing. Today, I went there with my sister (we play in MP) to show her the place only to find out that the Foraging had yet to be added. Now I will not be so picky as to demand every piece of deep forest to work with Foraging immediately, but a few areas like "Lake Village" which are interesting to explore and were introduced ages ago should probably be survival-ready. On that note:

518. Adding a fridge in any house in Lake Village (and I suppose in many other "cabins in the woods") will make the fridge work. Are we sure we want electricity from the grid in such abandoned areas? Seems a bit anti-thematic.

Attaching relevant image of the place for your reference. General location: Eastern of the "Trailer Area" (the one between MD and WP). Or wait, if WP is West then it is North. Oh whatever...

Area Map Lake Village.png

Edited by AceFromSpace

520 Different looks/colors for bags, backpacks and duffle bags. Red, purple, blue, green. It would be nice when you have two or more to be able to quickly identify them. Also, some of them currently look identical even though they have different names and carrying capacity/reductions.

521 Also, being able to move a bag from equipped to on back without unequipping it then putting it on back :)

I think it's time to fix some half done works:

522: metal stuff should have more hp than wooden one, thank you for putting your time with the coding but right now there is no point in trying: less hp, harder to gather skills and materials, louder so that a zombie knocking will attract way more.

523: fix gas pumps, in multiplayer the admin is needed to spawn gas or to enable loot respawn which a lot of people dislike, just so that more than 1 player ever will be blessed with the sight of a working generator. Running a small community like this is not fun, please allow us to siphon from pumps or to power them, or to siphon from cars, it is just quality of life

524: make life easier for electricians, most players don't bother because there is very little you can dismantle that grants xp, and stuff like house alarm (the item) is still a legend to mostly everybody

On 05/09/2017 at 0:55 PM, Livio Persemprio said:

I think it's time to fix some half done works:

522: metal stuff should have more hp than wooden one, thank you for putting your time with the coding but right now there is no point in trying: less hp, harder to gather skills and materials, louder so that a zombie knocking will attract way more.

523: fix gas pumps, in multiplayer the admin is needed to spawn gas or to enable loot respawn which a lot of people dislike, just so that more than 1 player ever will be blessed with the sight of a working generator. Running a small community like this is not fun, please allow us to siphon from pumps or to power them, or to siphon from cars, it is just quality of life

524: make life easier for electricians, most players don't bother because there is very little you can dismantle that grants xp, and stuff like house alarm (the item) is still a legend to mostly everybody

Was waiting the "Build 39 and beyond..." to post that. Nice you did it for the 38 ! :)

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread