Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

16 hours ago, Zorak said:

oh its coz the save is on our pc not the server...

Cant just some part be stored on server ? like just information dead / alive and last location for player ? so when you log back again the server sen you just if you died during that 10 sec or not ?

All the game's logic is also on your computer. Most of it would need to be rewritten in some way to prevent abuse or just spoofing the results of actions.

It's doable, but it's probably on the level of animations to do. :(

a. Zombie noise attracts zombies. That is, the noise caused by a zombie banging on a door or window attracts nearby zombies ( who will also start banging, making more noise). How many times when have i been hurt, and it's dark out, and a zombie starts banging on my door. I'll just let em bang all night rather than risk a night fight...I should pay for that with hoard at my door in the morning.

b. Zombie corpses should attract nearby zombies. It's such a pain to move the bodies. Dangerous too. The result is usually a ton of dead zombies around my safehouse. But, what if the smell made other zombies curious, and come to investigate....

11 hours ago, grammarsalad said:

a. Zombie noise attracts zombies. That is, the noise caused by a zombie banging on a door or window attracts nearby zombies ( who will also start banging, making more noise). How many times when have i been hurt, and it's dark out, and a zombie starts banging on my door. I'll just let em bang all night rather than risk a night fight...I should pay for that with hoard at my door in the morning.

b. Zombie corpses should attract nearby zombies. It's such a pain to move the bodies. Dangerous too. The result is usually a ton of dead zombies around my safehouse. But, what if the smell made other zombies curious, and come to investigate....

In general I feel the zombies need to be attracted to more noises. For instance; dogs barking, ambient player screams, etc all seem to have no effect. 

Right now zombies only seem attracted to helicopters, gunshots, generators, carpentry banging (if this attracts them, then zombies banging should def attract them as well), occasionally 'Q' yelling attracts them, and I've had mixed success with alarms.

I haven't tested (building a new rig) but does VOIP attract them?

How about hitting a single zombie within that group when shooting at them?

I'll admit my character is level 0 aiming, but at that distance, with a shotgun, and that many zombies? I should be able to hit at least one.

Until we are able to aim above and below us, base defense is severely lacking. Ranged weapons from an elevated position!

PvP also suffers because of this.  And when NPCs arrive? 

20161129194822_1.jpg

On 11/29/2016 at 7:37 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

You should be able to hit 1 / 5 at that range without any issue. Though you might not see the result, considering how many are there . . .

Character already shoots above or below their Z-level; You can see this by turning on debug mode in the bat file with -Ddebug after the Xmn and Xmx values.

I fired off 14 rounds and I did not get a single point in aiming, so I assumed I wasn't hitting anything.  I'll have to look at the debug mode.

I turned on debug mode by adding the -Ddebug where you instructed. Now where do I reference the Z levels? I found the PZ debug folder but I can't view CLASS files.

Spoiler

Debug.JPG

Here's a pic of my console logs. 

Spoiler

Zlevel.jpg

Edited by CaptKaspar

369.  When the power goes out, items in the freezer/fridge spoil very quickly. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that items are given an X amount of days before they become stale and then rotten. When the power goes out the item (lets use cabbage) sees that it has been 30 days since it was harvested. On day one when it was harvested it was put into the freezer. Now the item sees that it has been around for 30 days, its not frozen, so it must be rotten and it changes state.

I run into this all the time using a generator to keep my fridge/freezer on. As soon as the generator turns off everything in the freezer/fridge goes rotten. A freezer should at least stay cold for a few hours if I never open it. This would give me hopefully enough time to put some more gas in the generator. 

The cabbage should also have its X amount of days till becoming rotten tallied only when it is unfrozen and at like 1/2 speed when it is in the fridge. 

Also on this note: Can we please add gas to a generator while it is running? I know this isn't the safest thing to be doing, and I only want to do this because of the above spoiling issue, but IRL you would be able to even if it isn't a good idea (chance of starting a fire maybe :) ).

I just thought of a small thing with the animation stuff. If we could drop stuff lets say bags or guns and stuff like that from windows or if its higher up than just the normal ground. Now that the update with the weight and jumping from windows this would be really neat to have so you don't break your leg or drop all of your stuff. (Sorry for bad English, i wasn't quite sure how to explain it 

370. It would be great if light switches in buildings with power were highlighted somehow. Some of light switches IRL have a little light turn on when the switch is off. That would be very helpful when entering a building with lights turned off because sometimes it's quite hard to find a switch.

371. Dump bodies out the window.

372. "Climb through" RMB menu option should be highlighted in red to minimise the chance of clicking it accidentally while being on 1st floor or higher when interacting with windows.

Edited by Geras

Would it be possible to have an minimalist ui for the skill tree/health panel?

Or break the skill panel up into smaller panels?

It would really be nice as I tend to open and leave the skill panel open but as it is it takes up a large chunk of the screen.

[skill points] [exp/experience to next skill point]

[SKILL] [LVL] [+ or exp required] | [SKILL] [LVL] [+ or exp required]

Since we know all the current skills max out at level 10 for all options (unless you limit non class specific chars from maxing out skills at a later time) it would be nice to just see the minimum in some cases and shrink it down.

For the health panel I don't really see the need to see a mock body of myself haha. Just info on whats wounded and crap would be enough for me.

Would always be nice if we could have the ability to customize the gui for ourselves to make it look how we wanted later on without the need of a mod so it could be used on any server would be really nice.

Edited by wsensor

• 3 weeks later...

Since the introduction of nutrition, Obese and Overweight are essentially free points. I rolled an obese character with Light Eater and Feeble; I barely ever have to eat and I have been melting pounds at an insane rate. 12 days in and I have dropped 5kg and am now merely Overweight. I spend most of my time with a hungry moodle, but I can still handle groups of 5 or 6 zeds with an axe and careful engagement, even while hungry and with the Feeble trait. It's 10 points and free pounds to burn while you build a stockpile of non-perishables. The only danger is getting swarmed, as there is no quick escape. So stay out of the city until you get in shape.

The amount of points you get should be sharply reduced. +10 points is just impossible to pass up.

• 4 weeks later...

375. Allow us to put stir fries in bowls to divide them up. 

376. Reduce the time required to cook stir fries. It currently takes around 1.5 hours in game to cook a stir fry, this does not include prep time. I get it not being 10 mins for game play purposes, but maybe have it take around 20 - 30 mins? I had a moment playing yesterday where a friend was ready to go on a loot run and I told him I would be ready as soon as this stir fry was done cooking so I could take it out of the oven and turn the oven off. He said it was cool and we'd wait. Then we realized we were standing around waiting a really long time to cook a stir fry. 

377. Allow us to dismantle lamps. Is anything other than a screwdriver required to dismantle them if they already are?

378. Allow us to dismantle user made electronics into some of the items used to make it. I do not expect this to increase your XP since you could just farm XP this way. But, I recently made about 20 Makeshift Radios to level up an electrical skill level, and now there is nothing for me to do with the radios. I would dismantle them for parts if the need arose IRL. 

379. Certain food items should be "drainable", in the same way as gas cans or certain medical items. Nobody sits down and decides they're going to drink a 1/2 carton of milk or eat an entire box of cereal in one sitting. You simply use enough of the product to satisfy your hunger/thirst and put the rest of the product back for later. I feel that having items like milk and cereal function as drainable items would better represent this. Also, it would allow for more variation in the amount of product found. After all, not every carton of milk or container of ice cream you find in a residential fridge is going to be full, is it? Leading to...

380. Other food items should be packaged together. Items such as yogurt cups, cheese singles, and bags of microwavable popcorn usually aren't sold individually, yet in PZ that's the only state in which we find them. These items and others of their kind should be found together, or in packages.  That said, I do acknowledge that this may be a deliberate case of gameplay over realism.

381. Items such as burgers and pizzas should be made into recipes. If we've got the ingredients, (and indeed, most of them are already in the game) there's no reason we shouldn't be able to make them ourselves, adding toppings as we please. Examples:

A base pizza would require bread dough, tomato sauce (or maybe ketchup, depending on how creative you wanna get?), and cheese as a base. You could then add various meat or vegetable products as toppings (canned sardines, anyone?).

A base burger would require a meat patty (maybe you could craft your own meat patty out of whatever meat you've managed to trap? you could literally be reduced to ratburgers) and a bun (or sliced bread). You could then add cheese, ketchup, and vegetables, as desired.

Thinking about it, even something as simple as cereal could be recipized. You'd need cereal and a bowl as a base, then you could add milk, sugar, and fruit.

• 1 month later...

381. Ability to heat up oatmeal. With hot/cold food making an impact on happiness, I would assume most people would be happier eating heated oatmeal. 

382. Ability to add honey to a bowl of oatmeal

383. Upon completion of foraging timed action, a character could choose which items they wish to pick up. UI could be similar to the current trade window. 

384. Ability to use foraged berries to make a pie. 

385. Happiness buff is lost when cutting a pie into slices. I know it isn't as good to get a slice of pie instead of a whole pie, but it should still bring a little happiness to your day. 

Since it was now officially confirmed it's the proper way, I'm gonna mentioned my 8 cents here:

387. Sugar should be made food type and edible following what happened to coffee, tea bag in build 35

388. Socks should be made to ripped sheets, such as other clothing and underwear, mirroring my old suggestion

389. Crayons should be made a writing tool, preferably with the colors shown in the icon, also mentioned in my old suggestion

390. Corkscrew should be made a melee weapon, preferably with a jaw stab attack. After all, it's not less plausible to kill a corkscrew than with a butter knife :)

391. Matches should have cantBeConsolided = TRUE flag removed - after all, you can combine two packs of matches (unlike lighters) - see below

392. Milk should have Replaceonrotten, replacing it with new "rotten milk" item that is no longer edible, but won't disappear and still can be made used for Mildew cure - the current problem is milk is really scarce, have low expiration date and can't be frozen and unlike cigarettes which can be found on zombies, cannot be obtained by other means than looting

393. Speaking of cigarettes, there should be separate items - cigarettes and cigarette pack, similar to nails or similar items (just realized it's been also suggested as 248.)

394. Add a "Stale" suffix to food that is in between fresh and rotten, as I suggested before - that way it will be obvious at a first glance that this item should be eaten quick or put in a fridge, especially for newcomers who might not realize which foods can rot.

Edited by Faalagorn

42 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

390. Corkscrew should be made a melee weapon, preferably with a jaw stab attack. After all, it's not less plausible to kill a corkscrew than with a butter knife :)

If spoons can be weaponized, corkscrews should DEFINITELY be weaponized. +100

391. Matches should have cantBeConsolided = TRUE flag removed - after all, you can combine two packs of matches (unlike lighters)

The matchbook appears to be of the sort where matches are torn from the book, so while you could loosely store them in the fold of another matchbook as individual matches, the open-folded nature of the matchbook means they'll spill out and you'll have a bag of loose matches. It's most realistic to keep seperate matchbooks I think.

392. Milk should have Replaceonrotten, replacing it with new "rotten milk" item that is no longer edible

Disagree; all food should remain edible for those desperate days when you need the choice.

Just some thoughts I had while reading your post.

6 hours ago, trombonaught said:

The matchbook appears to be of the sort where matches are torn from the book, so while you could loosely store them in the fold of another matchbook as individual matches, the open-folded nature of the matchbook means they'll spill out and you'll have a bag of loose matches. It's most realistic to keep seperate matchbooks I think.

Disagree; all food should remain edible for those desperate days when you need the choice.

Just some thoughts I had while reading your post.

Just realized we were thinking about a different "matches",  you mentioned matchbook while I was thinking about matchbox - honestly forgot they could be packed otherwise, as they are pretty much nonexistent where I live, so I only see them in the movies :P. Just looked up and it seems the one used in Zomboid are the ones you mention, so my idea have less sense now :P.

About milk - the problem I saw was the fact that from what I understand, the regular rotten food disappears ("decays") after some time. While it make pretty much sense for decayed vegetables, fruits or meat, as when they are in such advanced decay state, then even if they aren't eaten by whatever animals/microorganisms got to them, they are pretty much useless and impossible to eat, yet alone make a recipe out from, milk carton actually will be there for the whole time. I don't mind having an option to eat rotten milk, actually I think it should stay too, just thought it shouldn't totally disappear, that's why I suggested creating a virual new items similar to melted ice cream - that way the milk won't disappear and could be still used for a recipe (unless rotten milk can't be used as a recipe anyway, then it's not as important actually).

395. Adjusting Mop's weight and making it improvised weapon.

396. Making Saw improvised weapon (it's sharp but unwieldy to fight). It would make it also possible to break it, makes it to potentially have more than 1 of it.

397. Make a new category for picked items - "Furniture", so it will sort properly and not appear in between other generic items.

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread