Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

7 hours ago, trombonaught said:

It makes about as much sense as the Romero and Romero-esque infection lore goes, which I believe is explicitly referred to as the feel the game tries to capture. Those suggestions would be interesting to see, but might break from the vibe game is trying to create. More challenge in the long game is needed, but this would probably be better sourced from NPC conflict than from tinkering with infection.

Yeah. When food runs low, people become desperate.

On 18/11/2016 at 4:30 PM, Nonjojålol said:

Make the zombie disease more deadly similar to most zombie mythos or make it overcomable similar to that of a dangerous flu. That you can keep yourself alive for an infinity of time by gorging and sleeping is just stupid. If the infection were more like a deadly flu, then surviving one doesn't help you from becoming infected again from a new strain. Also, could symptoms such as nausea and fever help your body fight zombie or non-zombie infection? That's the purpose of those symptoms. Maybe the infection could be contained like tuberculosis? Tuberculosis erupts again when the immune system is weakened which makes a bad situation worse.

The zombie infection as it is now doesn't make sense. It's such an annoying way to live and die that I might postpone playing this game for a while.

You cant outrun the infection though, not as far as i know, you are pretty much dead when you are infected with it.

Players want to live for as long as they can. Being able to keep it at bay forever gives the player the false impression that they can survive it. Surviving by eating and sleeping is both unrealistic and annoying. You're basically tied to the bed and the fridge. Won't it make your character fat if he have a steady food supply, unless he just eat greens? All the forced eating may also cause unwanted effects in MP.

1 hour ago, Nonjojålol said:

Players want to live for as long as they can. Being able to keep it at bay forever gives the player the false impression that they can survive it. Surviving by eating and sleeping is both unrealistic and annoying. You're basically tied to the bed and the fridge. Won't it make your character fat if he have a steady food supply, unless he just eat greens? All the forced eating may also cause unwanted effects in MP.

It makes perfect sense to be able to survive by eating and sleeping; granted you have to resort to some manner of food gathering in order to do so over the long term, which expends calories, and ultimately survival is a calories gain/loss fight while staving off malnutrition. When taken to the extreme, you can make anything seem ridiculous and then criticize it for its lack of realism, which I doubt was your intention; the nutrition system (as far as I remember from testing all those months back) tracks these things quite realistically, at least as far as games go, research was done as well as can be expected by anyone without a doctorate in a related medical field.

It made me take a second look at my own diet when I was verifying the information independently while testing it, as I had literally just taken my mother to two different people, a RN and Dietitian for diabetes. I got a crash course in stuff I had never considered. I learned that I am tied to my house and the grocery store, which is tied to the distribution center that supplies it, during testing. Incidentally, it takes about 3 days for a typical grocery store to go empty, even of stuff no one would normally buy, without someone working hard to restock those shelves. Cut this time in half when a major disaster/storm/threat occurs. I've seen our local one bare before; where I live (north of where this game takes place) people got stuck in their homes for over a week back in the late 70's and everyone alive during that time remembers, so they stock up when bad weather threatens.

That said, the one small improvement I'd like to see is a way to see the direction I am aiming my gun in. Currently it is pretty hard for me to use firearms even with a character with high skill.

Edited by makkenhoff

6 hours ago, makkenhoff said:

It makes perfect sense to be able to survive by eating and sleeping; granted you have to resort to some manner of food gathering in order to do so over the long term, which expends calories, and ultimately survival is a calories gain/loss fight while staving off malnutrition. When taken to the extreme, you can make anything seem ridiculous and then criticize it for its lack of realism, which I doubt was your intention; the nutrition system (as far as I remember from testing all those months back) tracks these things quite realistically, at least as far as games go, research was done as well as can be expected by anyone without a doctorate in a related medical field.

I am not convinced. This is a zombie disease we're talking about here. It's supposed to be extremely lethal, is it not? Sleep and food would certainly help you body, but alas, if only it were that simple to survive a plague. Food isn't always easy to get and keep down either, especially if nausea is a symptom.

44 minutes ago, Nonjojålol said:

Food isn't always easy to get and keep down either, especially if nausea is a symptom.

Ooo there's a thought! What if nausea did for eating what anxious does for sleep? I do wish nausea was more significant moodle. We could have a medicine put in to combat it, and hunting these meds would make infection that much more difficult to stave off!

I'm not sure if this counts as a small suggestion, but in terms of lore: at one year in, survivors can find a radio signal from a survivor with the code name of Adric. [The suggestion is in white to prevent potential spoilers, highlight it with your mouse to read it]

361. Ability to move and place deer head and church cross (moveables)

362. Redboid we get lots of complaints about players "combat logging" when about to pvp. i know the new build will do a save when player damage is taken, but any plans to add a 5 second cool down timer or something for players when they quit would help too. E.g they would have to watch the countdown before fading out to the main menu. Basically vulnerable for 5 secs. Would stop all this online alt f4 bullshit before they take damage.

17 minutes ago, Hicks said:

361. Ability to move and place deer head and church cross (moveables)

362. Redboid we get lots of complaints about players "combat logging" when about to pvp. i know the new build will do a save when player damage is taken, but any plans to add a 5 second cool down timer or something for players when they quit would help too. E.g they would have to watch the countdown before fading out to the main menu. Basically vulnerable for 5 secs. Would stop all this online alt f4 bullshit before they take damage.

Imo 10-15 sec before character vanish is good option. Its not only for pvp but also for zeds. You can log out and wait till your friends drag them away.

21 minutes ago, SaltandPretzels said:

suggestions number 363. Update the Ultimate question on a forum. We all know that pancakes are the best source of nutrition. We need another question . Something fun, something witty and something sexy. 

There can be no more ultimate question than the Ultimate Question, though. To suggest otherwise would be heresy. 

22 hours ago, Zorak said:

Imo 10-15 sec before character vanish is good option. Its not only for pvp but also for zeds. You can log out and wait till your friends drag them away.

This isn't possible. All someone would have to do is kill the process to get around it.

There are ways to prevent that, but it can damage and lock up people's computers to circumvent it.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

This isn't possible. All someone would have to do is kill the process to get around it.

There are ways to prevent that, but it can damage and lock up people's computers to circumvent it.

I would wager that the average player wouldn't do that, or wouldn't respond quick enough to effectively do it. 

Sure some dedicated cheaters would exploit that, but right now it is very easy for all players to easily avoid danger from PvP or avoid being surrounded by zombies with no escape. 

No anti-cheat is 100% effective against a dedicated cheater. 

6 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

oh its coz the save is on our pc not the server...

Cant just some part be stored on server ? like just information dead / alive and last location for player ? so when you log back again the server sen you just if you died during that 10 sec or not ?

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread