Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

348. Add crawling zombies (the ones that don't die after you knock them down and lunge when you walk past them) to the world on day 1. Some zombies are already dead when the game starts, and could pose a threat if they had a chance to actually be crawlers.

EDIT

Particularly the ones we find in houses with all the loot. If they are in a small room and we just walk in and rush over to the corpse, hoping to find some nice loot we could get a nasty suprise

Edited by Ocelot

350. I like the durability of objects in the game. What do people think of if weapons (bats, axes etc) had a small chance of breaking before the durability reached 0. It would add an element of uncertainty and an extra challenge, where you have a bat with 50% durability and get cocky taking on a group of zombies. It then suddenly breaks.

EDIT

351. This might already exist in the game, so please correct me as I rarely use firearms, but having guns able to randomly jam/misfire. Perhaps linked to the 'reload' skill, which would reduce the chance of putting a round in incorrectly, particularly when panicked. Possibly also linked to if the gun gets wet, the ammo is more likely to not work.

Also if we are running/walking with a gun in our primary and are highly panicked, the very small chance of our character firing a shot by mistake (perhaps also linked to a 'clumsy' trait). This would bring an added threat of alerting zeds, and mean we would more likely store the gun in our inventory.

Edited by Ocelot

On 10/19/2016 at 10:39 AM, Batsphinx said:

It's less a secret, and more a continually evolving and commented-on Google Doc - so there's stuff on there that're big jobs, stuff that's smaller. Stuff we don't all agree on etc.

As such it'd be tricky to give a precise list as it's kinda organic really. 

would it be possible to at least get a glimpse of the suggestions you guys are at least considering. i dont care if they get implemented or not, im just curious as to what the future could be. knowing what suggestions from this thread are actually being looked at seriously could also help us improve the suggestions we make. i think it would just help us know what is within the realm of possibility and give better insight into what the dev team thinks is even noteworthy. Also I just wanna see the list :P

5 hours ago, morninam said:

would it be possible to at least get a glimpse of the suggestions you guys are at least considering. i dont care if they get implemented or not, im just curious as to what the future could be. knowing what suggestions from this thread are actually being looked at seriously could also help us improve the suggestions we make. i think it would just help us know what is within the realm of possibility and give better insight into what the dev team thinks is even noteworthy. Also I just wanna see the list :P

I can already see people posting "WHY IS THE BLENDER NOT IMPLEMENTED YET YOU MARKED IT AS A MAYBE YOU IDIOTS STOP BEING LAZY AND ADD IT" lol

Once some features are definite yes for all the team though, an update of the planned features in the dedicated topic would be nice! 

8 hours ago, Teesee said:

I can already see people posting "WHY IS THE BLENDER NOT IMPLEMENTED YET YOU MARKED IT AS A MAYBE YOU IDIOTS STOP BEING LAZY AND ADD IT" lol

Once some features are definite yes for all the team though, an update of the planned features in the dedicated topic would be nice! 

i know. you're right :(. if only we could all be civilized human beings. I really don't understand why everyone gets so upset at the pace of development. maybe it's because i play the iwbums version but there have been a lot of cool things added. Honestly i could care less about new animations or vehicles. i don't even want drivable cars in the game. they'd be nice for aesthetics and to get loot from, but I'd rather they just add bicycles to the game to make getting from place to place easier/faster. NPCs have potential i guess. what I really want is revamped zombie mechanics. things like migrating hordes that spawn at random and traverse the map like in my shitty MS paint pic. once you get just a little bit outside of the city you can just farm and never deal with zombies for the rest of the game. exploring is fun. but i think we need more threats/danger and larger in scope to make the game more challenging and interesting after you've established a base. when i'm chilling at my base i never worry. I want to be on edge at all times regardless of where I am. 

zomb spawn.png

3 hours ago, morninam said:

once you get just a little bit outside of the city you can just farm and never deal with zombies for the rest of the game. exploring is fun. but i think we need more threats/danger and larger in scope to make the game more challenging and interesting after you've established a base. when i'm chilling at my base i never worry. I want to be on edge at all times regardless of where I am. 

Well for one, NPCs are the threat that is suppose to fill that gap when you feel comfy inside your base.

Also hordes in the middle of the woods is not the way to go, we still have that promised update of hunting/wildlife.

So i am pretty sure we are going to encounter some sort of wolf, bear or some wildlife predator down the PZ road.

If anything, DayZ showed me how great it feels to be threatened by wildlife in a zombie game when you think that the woods are safe to travel on.

353: Here's a good one.

Add the Axe-man trait back to the Firemen so more balanced for the 8 points the job takes away (It's just a small athletics bonus otherwise).

Context: Fire officers had the axe-man trait already but it was removed after the last big job update. One thing Fireman are good at is using axes to chop doors down. While the trait may not have that functionality just yet, they still have the axe training/usage that makes them worthy of the trait.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

1 hour ago, Kim Jong Un said:

353: Here's a good one.

Add the Axe-man trait back to the Firemen so more balanced for the 8 points the job takes away (It's just a small athletics bonus otherwise).

Context: Fire officers had the axe-man trait already but it was removed after the last big job update. One thing Fireman are good at is using axes to chop doors down. While the trait may not have that functionality just yet, they still have the axe training/usage that makes them worthy of the trait.

Huh i never notice that, what was the reason behind the removal of the trait?

2 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Potentially an oversight, but as firemen definitely use an Axe for fire rescue (and for gameplay balance reasons) it would have made more sense to keep it in.

It might make more sense to differentiate into two skills, one with specific benefits for trees and one specific to tearing down doors. Any of these "exclusive" traits like axeman only feel right if they're true to the profession, otherwise general traits feel like they should be selectable for any build imo.

4 hours ago, trombonaught said:

It might make more sense to differentiate into two skills, one with specific benefits for trees and one specific to tearing down doors. Any of these "exclusive" traits like axeman only feel right if they're true to the profession, otherwise general traits feel like they should be selectable for any build imo.

Lumberjacks and Fire Officers in general have training/practice in swinging that axe. About as much as any profession does in their proper bonuses. Either way the "faster axe" swing is applicable to both professions directly. Not so much general. So the Axe man trait would fit both it.

Heck, it was on the Fireman profession before it was on the Lumberjack one. The removal itself might have been meant to not be permanent, because as of now the benefits of taking firefighter are hardly worth the 8 points as sprinting (and keep in mind the bonus is only +1) is easy enough to level up for all builds and the +1 to fitness/strength is menial compared to the traits that specifically raise either of them. Balance-wise, compared to the other professions, Firemen either needs a lower cost or the Axeman trait for it to actually be worth that much point-wise.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

38 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Lumberjacks and Fire Officers in general have training/practice in swinging that axe. About as much as any profession does in their proper bonuses. Either way the "faster axe" swing is applicable to both professions directly. Not so much general. So the Axe man trait would fit both it.

It would definitely fit. Might be interesting though to make it more profession-specific: maybe lumberjacks do more damage to trees and firemen do more damage to doors (representing that there's a little more to it than just swinging the axe really quickly). 

5 hours ago, Geras said:

I hope every profession will get a unique perk sooner or later.

I think there should just be some bland filler jobs for low tier NPCs/roleplaying/more trait points like 'accountant' or 'retail clerk' etc. It's simply an unfortunate reality that in times of disaster, there's going to be people that are just about useless.

1 hour ago, hunger john said:

jobs for low tier NPCs/roleplaying/more trait points like 'accountant' or 'retail clerk' etc.

The accountant could have a bonus to their bartering/trading skills, and the retail clerk could have could have better social perception skills, knowing what people want and/or how they're feeling (heck they could even have a slight barter bonus as well).

Everyone still has skills in the apocalypse though, it's just that some of those skills require other people (NPCs) to be useful :)

Make the zombie disease more deadly similar to most zombie mythos or make it overcomable similar to that of a dangerous flu. That you can keep yourself alive for an infinity of time by gorging and sleeping is just stupid. If the infection were more like a deadly flu, then surviving one doesn't help you from becoming infected again from a new strain. Also, could symptoms such as nausea and fever help your body fight zombie or non-zombie infection? That's the purpose of those symptoms. Maybe the infection could be contained like tuberculosis? Tuberculosis erupts again when the immune system is weakened which makes a bad situation worse.

The zombie infection as it is now doesn't make sense. It's such an annoying way to live and die that I might postpone playing this game for a while.

21 minutes ago, Nonjojålol said:

The zombie infection as it is now doesn't make sense. It's such an annoying way to live and die that I might postpone playing this game for a while.

It makes about as much sense as the Romero and Romero-esque infection lore goes, which I believe is explicitly referred to as the feel the game tries to capture. Those suggestions would be interesting to see, but might break from the vibe game is trying to create. More challenge in the long game is needed, but this would probably be better sourced from NPC conflict than from tinkering with infection.

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread