Small but Important Suggestions Thread

ShuiYin

239. Make food recipes discoverable:

By this I mean that a character should be able to experiment with different food combinations to discover new ones.

For example: My character has been alive for over 7 months, he has level 7 cooking, knows how to make pie dough, has flour, water, yeast, and salt on hand, but he can not figure out how to make bread.

Anyone could put flour, water, salt, and yeast together and make something edible. It might not be good at first, but it would be edible. After a few more attempts you would eventually make something palatable.

I think this would help with immersion and RPG elements of the game. I get frustrated that there is no way to transfer my real life knowledge to my character in this regard. I find it artificial that he would need to find a recipe magazine to figure out how to make bread. I am not against finding a recipe and learning how to make something that way, but why not let us experiment or bring our own knowledge to our characters?

A player that does not IRL know how to make bread? Well here's an opportunity for them to learn something from a survival game. They can still find the recipes, or they can learn a RL skill and apply it to their gaming.

Upside: Immersion, RPG, realism

Downside: Less loot runs required (likely)

@CaptKaspar

240 make most recipes  and magazines work a bit different.

Each crafting item have 2 valuesof required skill - with magazine and without.

Example

Bird trap

You need to have traping lvl 2 and find magazine or you will learn it instantly when you reach lvl 5.

This will make things a bit less random.

Mags are still useful as you will save some time. On the other hand a bad luck wont stop you from learning.

It only applies to non occupation relates skills (farmer will know all farming recipes from start).

Add background noise when listening to radio. For example, if you are listening to rock music, I suggest having some rock music in the background. Not words necessarily, just the music itself.

242 this kinda goes with 241. I think that text from radio should still be on screen for a certain distance even if you can't see it.

Here is a basic equation

Volume=How far away you are from the radio for text to pop up

IRL just because we can't see the radio doesn't mean we can't hear the words

The words would pop up from the direction off the radio, meaning if it's to the right of your screen, you'd see on the right side of the screen.

243. Hear footsteps from other players as well as zombies.

244. Have max weight carrying be tied to feeble, weak, normal, stout, strong. Right now we all have the same max weight, but different for when we become overburdened. I think our strength should effect both our weight before becoming overburdened as well as our max weight. A feeble character should not be able to carry the same max amount as a strong character.

Edited by CaptKaspar

Hi

I playing in role playing sever and I think talk and wisper heard to far.

10+ tiles for wisper not good. Other people in near room can hear all secrets.

25+ tiles for talk to far 

I think wisper need to do 3-5 tiles, talk - 10.

And maybe try make harder hear anything in house if you outside. Saying text above player head changed if far distance or we have wall, but in chat console we can see full text, without any changes and all effect lose.

And why we can't write on the paper sheet? Only on full notebook or journal. 

P.s: sorry for my english 

Edited by AiweLelia

Oh wow this thread is fantastic! Just got through reading them! Suppose ill add some of my ideas on here aswell :P.

245.  Rain should make the ground slick and could cause you character to slip and fall while sprinting in mud (more for the animations update)

246. Rain causing puddles to accumulate and can harvest dirty water from them to then be boiled.

247. A build able water filter made using a metal barrel perhaps filled with layers of sand and charcoal. at the bottom would be a nozzle to pour out the filtered clean water. 

248. Cigarettes should act more as a "container" that has 20 cigarettes in them (or a random amount if found in a desk/body, but should have an "unopened" version). Also menthol cigarettes please! ;P

249. Back on weather how about adding in severe thunder storms, with very heavy rain that drown out zed noises and soak your character in seconds. I wish flooding would be possible but i think that would be very            hard to code haha, along with tornadoes :P. But it would be very amazing to see that in game (In before Zednado :P )

250. Along with the idea of heavy storms how about some hail! could break windows causing zeds to go to the source of the sound and also hurt your character if outside during a hail storm. (hail could vary in size to!)

251.Continuous erosion!!! Ive been wanting this since I first started but i noticed that the erosion stops after a certain amount of time (till it hits 100%) but irl it would keep going on. I think it would be amazing to see the roads crack with grass taking them over and ponds forming in low lying areas after years and eventually the city looks my a whole forest with barley any roads showing. Just grass and tress with destroyed looking buildings with wind broken windows, vines going all the way up 5 story buildings, walls collapsed on one or two sides of a building showing its interior. (Heres some examples Pic 01 Pic 02) Of course this would be after years and years, still though I think this would be amazing to see the map grow and change as your survivor continues on his adventure. I just keep imagining Louisville once its done, Imagine it looking like in Pic 01 above after surviving say 20 years in game (if you can that is ;P)

252.  More grow-able crops, This is another big one for me id love to be able to grow more foods like peas, wheat, beans Ect. Wheat would be awesome especially since you can use it for tons of things! Also could add in plant food to make crops produce more food per plant. and maybe find-able pesticides that can be poured into the sprayer.

253. Being able to take seeds out of your food! This would be a nice way to get more seeds from food in your fridge or at the store when you first start

254. Rotting zombies, I know they do "rot" in a way by turning more and more green and get weaker and slower, but i mean visually. like arms dangling on, exposed bones, face half ripped off after hitting a very old zed with a bat or something, that would be pretty wicked.

255. building erosion! I know this kinda adds onto what I was talking about above, but i mean building specific erosion. I know that we have cracks forming, grim on walls and floors, trash accumulating, which is a great start! but i want to see more, I used to do alot of urban exploration and photography of old abandoned buildings so I know after only 10 years of a building sitting there, they can get quite hmm whats the word? peely? lol What I mean is like paint peeling, wall paper peeling, walls collapsing, windows breaking over time, stairs falling through (imagine that happening to your character exploring 20 year old abandoned buildings and falling through the stairs dues to weakness nd water damage, hope you have a splint ;P ) very creaky floorboards and even black mold on walls causing health issues over time. I could go on and on about building erosion but im sure you catch my drift. I dont think it would be too hard to implement wither, most of this could be overlays like the grime on the walls and floor/the trash accumulation.

256. lightning starting fires/lightning striking your character! could also make it possible to live through this but have severe burns!

257. brewing alcohol. Maybe after finding a certain magazine you could build a makeshift still to make your own alcohol! this would be pretty awesome, would also add onto the whole new crops idea to add things like corn, wheat, and grapes, but could also use food already in the game like potatoes for vodka and sugar to make rum. But like I said this would totally need to be a found recipe since it can be a bit of a complicated process actually this would be a good one to add as a VHS tape since you guys were going to add those in for boredom reduction and to learn new crafting recipes!

Thats all I got for now hope you like my ideas, i know these are things for beyond build 35 but I kinda thought of some o them as I was going hah, and once I get started on my ideas I literally cant stop. But Thanks TIS for making the best zombie game out there!

4 hours ago, Keshash said:

I think, it's already in game. Feeble impacts strength. Strength impacts weight capacity.

No, it effects the weight before you become overburdened. It does not effect your max carrying capacity. All characters can always carry up to 50 encumbrance units. At least I know this is true with underweight, normal, stout. I haven't tested with feeble or strong.

11 hours ago, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

(...)

257. brewing alcohol. Maybe after finding a certain magazine you could build a makeshift still to make your own alcohol! this would be pretty awesome, would also add onto the whole new crops idea to add things like corn, wheat, and grapes, but could also use food already in the game like potatoes for vodka and sugar to make rum. But like I said this would totally need to be a found recipe since it can be a bit of a complicated process actually this would be a good one to add as a VHS tape since you guys were going to add those in for boredom reduction and to learn new crafting recipes!

(...)

Seems you are actually talking about distilling in some cases instead of brewing.  Brewing is very simple actually... mix a few things that contains sugar into water, heat and let ferment (at worst it'll taste bad). (edit : correction... it does need yeast)

Distilling is way harder because of Ether (it can be deadly!).  Knowing proper techniques (as you suggested) allow to avoid that obvious pitfall, but as you stated it should need some instructions first (and maybe a chemist trait).

(re-edit : and thankfully, distilling without a licence won't be illegal anymore :D)

Edited by MyTJ

9 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

259. It takes too long to reach winter in survival mode. The starting month should imo be September or October.

260. Add more functionality to the crowbar.

I completely agree with both if these! I always push the start up to September and I've always wished for more crowbar action :)

2 hours ago, Unghin said:

You able just to leave it after death. Why you want to cut opportunity to continue play for other?

For the longest time I did not know that you could continue on the same world. I always started over.

Now having played both ways, I like starting over each time more than continuing on the same world. Sure it makes sense to take advantage of the work your last character did, but I enjoy the challenge of starting fresh each time.

32 minutes ago, CaptKaspar said:

For the longest time I did not know that you could continue on the same world. I always started over.

Now having played both ways, I like starting over each time more than continuing on the same world. Sure it makes sense to take advantage of the work your last character did, but I enjoy the challenge of starting fresh each time.

It's just deal of tastes: somebody start everytime new world, somebody can continue same world.  So what purpose to remove respawn in survival?

266. There are slings for rifles and shotguns that reduce their weight, but there is nothing like that for a pistol. Please add a gun holster with a significant weight reduction bonus for pistol and future handguns.

267. Rifles/shotguns with sling should be taken out of inventory to player hands much faster than without sling to simulate that they are carried on said sling. Same for handguns in holsters.

Edit: corrected suggestion numbers.

Edited by Geras

266. Clothes lines to dry our towels faster.

We have sturdy sticks, rope, and nails. Why not hang up your wet towels to dry them faster? We could also just throw them on a fence to dry faster too. Right now it seems like towels dry very slowly.

It can take days for a towel that I left near a wood stove to dry. Wouldn't having them near a heat source help them dry faster?

My bath towel IRL dries itself everyday hanging in my bathroom.

Wet clothes a thing in the future?

Edited by CaptKaspar

267. More "story elements". Notes left behind for loved ones. Unique keepsakes like a trophy that reads "Kindest Dad In The World". A partially finished coloring book. A photo album featuring birthday pictures of a child in a wheel chair. A sign taped on a door that says "Came by but no one answered. See you soon. -Dave". A "Get Well Soon" bouquet. A partially burned letter that says "Leave the area now. Too many variables. Alpha in effect." 

• nasKo changed the title to Small but Important Suggestions Thread