Breaking vs Dismantling

CaptKaspar

Currently, if I break down a door with my axe I am likely to get a plank or two, some hinges, and a doorknob.

If I dismantle the door, I am likely going to just get a bunch of unusable wood (assuming I don't have high carpentry). The best reason to dismantle right now is for the carpentry XP. If I am after planks, doorknobs, and hinges then I should break the door instead of dismantling it.

I suggest a change:

Dismantling objects should almost always award you some usable items. More items the higher you get in carpentry.

Smashing a door with an axe should have a much higher chance of spawning unusable wood than dismantling the door. Right now if you smash a door I don't even think unusable wood will drop. This seems backwards to me.

Also, please let us burn unusable wood as fuel for fires!

(sidenote: breaking down metal bathroom doors spawns wood planks. With metalworking in the game maybe it should spawn the metal sheets instead?)

8 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

please let us burn unusable wood as fuel for fires!

Its UNUSABLE - isn't it clear :-D

EnigmaGrey would say something like: use your imagination to explain why you cannot burn it. 

8 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Dismantling objects should almost always award you some usable items.

Yep, agreed. For now you smash a door with a crowbar to get planks and details, but after a careful disassembling with a screwdriver you get..  nothing. It vaporises, I guess..

Edited by GOGOblin

Have to agree, dismantling and breaking are kind inverted in my opinion now.

The logical will be when breaking a door you get nothing but scraps.

While dismantling, with low carpentry, you get the same as breaking (since you know nothing Jon Snow)

But as carpentry goes up (or metalworking) you start geting more usable items, maybe even being able to retrieve the entire door as an item with enough skill?

The council agrees with you, this should be in the game and it's kind of funky that it gives you unusable wood but HONESTLY what does unusable wood even mean. You should be able to burn it because all wood burns if it's unusable wood, it's not wood at all. it must be something different, but what? *lightbulb* OF COURSE! It's obviously metal you get from wood doors.