My Tales of Woe

Day 1

So, I started out here. And raided the shed in the upper left corner. It was all good, killed about half a dozen zombies, had a propane tank, and a few other building materials. And then I decided to scavenge the house next door. I opened the western window closest to the door and went in. Then the alarm went off. I quickly ran out of the house, trying to get back to my home. But when I got back, about 2 dozen zombies where already there, trying to break down my house in an effort to get to the noise. I then ran away, and ended up almost in a circle passing these two houses, where I got ambushed at this one. i then quickly killed about a dozen zombies here with my hammer, and quickly went in side the house (the shed was locked). I then went through room by room, killing all the zombies inside. After about an hour, I had put sheets over most of the level 0 windows, when 2 or 3 zombies came and broke the southern window, at which point I killed them, with a new hole in my new house.

The in game day is almost over. My plan is to try to take back my old house, but I don't know how to go about it. What do you think?

Houses are lame, too many windows and too boring space. Head here.  You'll find at least 3 axes inside and a sledgehammer. It also makes a perfect base with everything you could possibly need. Build garden and water collectors on the roof, until then you have bathroom on the lower floor, and sink in front of it.

I would recommend barricading the 3 spare doors/entrances and windows and leaving only one door.

After baricading add some furniture in front of it, crates or anything else for added security.

22 hours ago, Keshash said:

Nah, true survivors don't worry 'bout those old houses. Head for the Spiffo's.

#Khajiit'sUsefulAdvices

But I invested my life"s saving in that house and I'm stuck in a ten year mortgage!:(

20 hours ago, Azer said:

Houses are lame, too many windows and too boring space. Head here.  You'll find at least 3 axes inside and a sledgehammer. It also makes a perfect base with everything you could possibly need. Build garden and water collectors on the roof, until then you have bathroom on the lower floor, and sink in front of it.

I would recommend barricading the 3 spare doors/entrances and windows and leaving only one door.

After baricading add some furniture in front of it, crates or anything else for added security.

Thanks! I was thinking of going there at some point, actually.

Also. Dang what a trek through enemy turf!

Okay, here"s the rest of Day 1

I decided, based on your advice, to head up this street to the convenience store. I took some food and filled up my now empty mug of water, and made a break for it. I ended up taking this outer street. I decided to rest in the two story house, having the moderate exertion moodle. I then killed a few zombies, made sure I had ditched the hoard and opened the back window to a house alarm going off. I quickly ran and dodged and weaved through the massive group attracted to the noise, heading to the warehouse using the same street. As I was almost there, near the burger&laundromat, I got pushed of that street and onto (what I presume to be) main street. I then ran for it eventually ending up at the warehouse previously mentioned. I then fought a short battle, killing about a dozen zombies, in my quest to overtake the warehouse.

In the end, I ended up with all the 0 level windows broken. And I eventually went to sleep on the chairs on top of the roof.

22 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Okay, here"s the rest of Day 1

I decided, based on your advice, to head up this street to the convenience store. I took some food and filled up my now empty mug of water, and made a break for it. I ended up taking this outer street. I decided to rest in the two story house, having the moderate exertion moodle. I then killed a few zombies, made sure I had ditched the hoard and opened the back window to a house alarm going off. I quickly ran and dodged and weaved through the massive group attracted to the noise, heading to the warehouse using the same street. As I was almost there, near the burger&laundromat, I got pushed of that street and onto (what I presume to be) main street. I then ran for it eventually ending up at the warehouse previously mentioned. I then fought a short battle, killing about a dozen zombies, in my quest to overtake the warehouse.

In the end, I ended up with all the 0 level windows broken. And I eventually went to sleep on the chairs on top of the roof.

Nice work, it doesn't matter that they broke the windows if you put two crates in front of them, and two at the back, after barricading them completely.

Tend to stay away from the main road!  There is a constant migrating horde over there that you can get rid of if you find a shotgun and loads of bullets (try police station), oh and at least two packs of beta blockers for your nerves. There are always shotgun bullets, and occasional shotgun in cafeterias as well.  So as I said, stay away from the main road, and rather move trough the outer streets.  Otherwise you're gonna get that massive horde come knockin' and staying for dinner in no time.

On 8/13/2016 at 1:56 PM, Keshash said:

Nah, true survivors don't worry 'bout those old houses. Head for the Spiffo's.

#Khajiit'sUsefulAdvices

He should take back his home like a TRUE Nord of Skyrim!

But seriously, usually when I pick a house (if I choose a house) it's decently sized, with multiple levels. I make it a personal mission to find myself a sledgehammer and destroy any stairs, using only sheet ropes to enter the house. The neighborhood you were in seems to be pretty good from the time I've spent there. I think the second house you were in is better than the original, less windows from what I can tell (none of which facing the back fence), the big fence at the back, a good amount of storage space too.

I agree with Azer, stay off those big roads. I only use them for looting. Last character I had set off several alarms and I had a hell of a time trying to get out of there, wish I took a screenshot :( . The warehouse along the main road might get overrun if a horde decides to roll through. There aren't any tall fences to herd them around the building, so there's a chance they might take up residence in your new home. The roof does have a good amount of space for farming. You would probably benefit from keeping a backup if you decided to use the warehouse as a main base, and maybe take out the stairs and use only sheet ropes to get up where you sleep in case a horde does get in?

23 hours ago, Azer said:

Nice work, it doesn't matter that they broke the windows if you put two crates in front of them, and two at the back, after barricading them completely.

Tend to stay away from the main road!  There is a constant migrating horde over there that you can get rid of if you find a shotgun and loads of bullets (try police station), oh and at least two packs of beta blockers for your nerves. There are always shotgun bullets, and occasional shotgun in cafeterias as well.  So as I said, stay away from the main road, and rather move trough the outer streets.  Otherwise you're gonna get that massive horde come knockin' and staying for dinner in no time.

Yeah, I just tried your put up crates thing and it didn't work!

Tom Campbell is a Security Guard

His traits are restless sleeper, thin skinned, baseball player, and low thirst.

Day 1

I started in West Point at a small house with nothing but some chicken and a fork. It had been raining for a while and during that time I had watched the news (didn't have anything else to do). Once it stopped, I went next door to scavenge some food and hopefully a better weapon, but 2 zombies attacked, my fork broke, and I was being pursued into my backyard. I ran across and entered the house in the lower corner, where I found another fork. Unfortunately for me, They followed, and broke down the window devouring me in the kitchen.

I survived for 3 hours.

21 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Yeah, I just tried your put up crates thing and it didn't work!

How about you explain to be a bit more, how exactly it did not work? Did the zeds break them, or managed to go trough them?

I never had any problems with it whatsoever. 

21 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Tom Campbell is a Security Guard

His traits are restless sleeper, thin skinned, baseball player, and low thirst.

Day 1

I started in West Point at a small house with nothing but some chicken and a fork. It had been raining for a while and during that time I had watched the news (didn't have anything else to do). Once it stopped, I went next door to scavenge some food and hopefully a better weapon, but 2 zombies attacked, my fork broke, and I was being pursued into my backyard. I ran across and entered the house in the lower corner, where I found another fork. Unfortunately for me, They followed, and broke down the window devouring me in the kitchen.

I survived for 3 hours.

Okay so I've noticed you're doing some considerable mistakes in this game. You're behaving like any regular guy that's' about to become dinner would behave. You need to step up your game and act like a proper survivor if you want to play zombie games. Watching TV in a zombie apocalypse?? Are you serious? Except from atracting zombies with sound, it also makes you lose your precious time you could've spent looking for loot and a proper weapon, but no dude, you sit back and watch TV..

How about getting your ass up and finding a good savehouse?

Or a pharmacy to look for meds?

I have literally managed to find a safehouse, proper weapon, water, food and meds in 3 in-game hours. It's really not that difficult, no matter how many zombies you spawn.

I know you've already died, but for future reference, I suggest just letting the zombies migrate out by themselves. They eventually do, and clearing a house when it's dark and the curtains are closed can be very creepy. Another thing you could do is sprint through the backdoor and out the front door while yelling. You should be moving too fast for any zombies to catch you, and the combined noise of running and yelling should draw most away unless they are upstairs.

9 hours ago, Azer said:

How about you explain to be a bit more, how exactly it did not work? Did the zeds break them, or managed to go trough them?

I never had any problems with it whatsoever. 

The zombies just went right on through, like you do when you go to hang up a curtain on a window in front of a counter top.

9 hours ago, Azer said:

Okay so I've noticed you're doing some considerable mistakes in this game. You're behaving like any regular guy that's' about to become dinner would behave. You need to step up your game and act like a proper survivor if you want to play zombie games. Watching TV in a zombie apocalypse?? Are you serious? Except from atracting zombies with sound, it also makes you lose your precious time you could've spent looking for loot and a proper weapon, but no dude, you sit back and watch TV..

How about getting your ass up and finding a good savehouse?

Or a pharmacy to look for meds?

I have literally managed to find a safehouse, proper weapon, water, food and meds in 3 in-game hours. It's really not that difficult, no matter how many zombies you spawn.

The TV thing was me trying to find something other to do than sit and what for the rain and zombies to leave. I figured if I had the volume as close to zero as possible, maybe I could find some more lore(I'm really into that kind of stuff.

11 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

The zombies just went right on through, like you do when you go to hang up a curtain on a window in front of a counter top.

The TV thing was me trying to find something other to do than sit and what for the rain and zombies to leave. I figured if I had the volume as close to zero as possible, maybe I could find some more lore(I'm really into that kind of stuff.

That's why I wrote After baricading add some furniture in front of it, crates or anything else for added security.

I didn't notice that I (player) or the zeds can go trough the furniture, but then I haven't noticed the same thing for crates either, it must've been a bug.

Still, I always preffer to find a sledge and tear that part of wall where the broken window is and build a wooden wall in it's spot, and then barricade it, because you never know with these early access games. I've read somewhere that you can even barricade a wall you've built, just like you can windows. But I have yet to try that. I'm gonna go in game now and see what's with the zeds passing trough crates?!

Don't care about the rain. Take a bath towel and install 'drying bath-towel mod (or smth like that)' and you can go anywhere while it's raining. If you like mods, I highly recommend the one that adds raincoats, and hydrocraft that adds like a zillion new items which makes game much more lively.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:52 AM, Azer said:

That's why I wrote After baricading add some furniture in front of it, crates or anything else for added security.

I didn't notice that I (player) or the zeds can go trough the furniture, but then I haven't noticed the same thing for crates either, it must've been a bug.

I found out, that zombies can break down furniture (I barricaded the stairs to the second floor of the warehouse), but I have a solution to the problem, thanks for your help:).

Okay, I finally started another profile, and so far here's what happened.

Day 1

I started here. I quickly found a kitchen knife and circled my house, making sure there weren't zombies trying to break in. I then went down the street to the convenience store&Cortman Medical. I first scavenged the convenience store, and then moved on to Cortman. As I got in, a group of zombies broke through one of the windows. I killed a few with my knife before it broke, and then resorted to stomping their heads in. I then checked the rest of the building to make sure their weren't and zombies, and looted all the second floor and most of the first before heading back. Upon heading back, I put up curtains over the windows to my house. I started doing this, and went outside to get this window. Upon hitting the put up sheet command, I smashed the window with the frying pan I acquired on Cortman's second floor!

And that's it for now, if you think you might have a solution, post here.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

As that one profile got ruined, I started a new one, here is how that went.

Day 1

I spawn in Burgers, and started out with almost nothing but some forks. I go outside to loot the surrounding buildings, and quickly get overwhelmed bey the undead in the area, and make a break for it. I run for a while and end up at the warehouse. I then quickly grab a hammer before being chased up onto the roof  (level 2). I'm now stuck, on a roof, with a bunch of zombies heading up the stairs. Piece of cake right!

Archived