Best Bases

TheWraithPlayer

In West Point, the two places I like to set up shop earlier on are one of the houses on the far-upper-left side of town and twiggy's bar.

A few of the houses in the far-upper-left side of town make for good early bases because of their relative isolation from the often more-congested areas of the map. One of them is a spaceous two-storey home with tons of storage room but quite tedious to fence off. The smaller one at the very end of the road is also good because it is surrounded by nothing--making it quite easy to wall off and create more substantive defences in relative peace. The other houses would probably work too but the former are what I'm generally drawn to.

Twiggy's bar is close to town which makes it a risky place to stay in the long-term, but also makes for a good place to dump your food and gear early on. Lots of storage space, lots of room to build, conveniently located next to a gunshop/grocery/store/a warehouse just minutes down the lower-left road. It is also located next to a pair of bridges that lead out of town to a waterside point that is easy to fortify and provides protection on three sides--that spot in particular being a good contender for long-term building.

Edited by Bradenburg

The cabin in the woods, by the lake near West Point is the best base.  Far enough out that there's never any zombies yet close enough that running to town isn't difficult, tons of trees around for wood, area counts as forest for foraging, and it has a lake, meaning you can fish and never need to worry about water access.

5 hours ago, Millitron said:

The cabin in the woods, by the lake near West Point is the best base.  Far enough out that there's never any zombies yet close enough that running to town isn't difficult, tons of trees around for wood, area counts as forest for foraging, and it has a lake, meaning you can fish and never need to worry about water access.

I definitely approve of this. All you need is a single pot and your good to go. Forage to get a campfire built, and fish all year round. Zombies practically never spawn or travel out there. If you level carpentry, you can add a 2nd story to the cabin for additional safety.

Peninsula: http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.7038052929657539,0.11441288151636433,58.400516811004145

Close to downtown for loot runs, even better if you'll build the bridge across the river.
Plenty of wood, protected by water from three sides, easy to wall-off, got wilderness for trapping.
This is from my latest save: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741705413

On 8/14/2016 at 11:46 PM, bezdonas said:

Peninsula: http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.7038052929657539,0.11441288151636433,58.400516811004145

Close to downtown for loot runs, even better if you'll build the bridge across the river.
Plenty of wood, protected by water from three sides, easy to wall-off, got wilderness for trapping.
This is from my latest save: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741705413

Very Impressive, I usually just build a wall around a house with some water barrels and crops.

Now I want to completely build a base from scratch to see what I can come up with.

My favorite base location by far is the storage units just behind Sunstar. It is centrally located in muldraugh making runs to either side of town a breeze, as well as McCoy being just across the highway basically, making acquiring a sledgehammer on the first day a piece of cake as well as a stock of axes. There is also an abundance of trees nearby as well, and a water cooler inside the office of the storage units making for a supply of water whilst it's still on. The large metal fence makes an excellent existing layer of defense, allowing for zombies to be whacked through it with an axe if need be. I like to then create log walls between the ends of the units to create a more private space that zombies cannot spot me through. This also makes keeping potential crops free of zombie blood not an issue at all as well.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=745985922

I do not like a single base approach, I often roam the town (usually Muldraugh) making sheet-ropes, stashes of food and filling pots with water. Also drag useful stuff outdoors to make it easier to pick up in the future. A single base can be blocked by Zs so you cannot return to safeplace after a looting raid or you may need a safehouse somewhere else (to avoid a megamob for example or because of "quarantine" chunks with fire) and you don't have it because you invested in a single base. 

I usually try to occupy the "axis" : "isolated house" (actually this building),  this building, "large warehouse", "McCoy". 

Когда человек родится, он слаб и гибок, когда умирает, он крепок и черств. Черствость и сила спутники смерти, гибкость и слабость выражают свежесть бытия.

I'll try to translate: "When a human is born he is weak and flexible; when he dies he is tough and stiff. Stiffnes and strength are companions of death while flexibility and weakness denote the freshness of existence"

Thats how I see it: every 2story house is a base, especially if you don't have 4lvl carpentry.

15 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

I do not like a single base approach, I often roam the town (usually Muldraugh) making sheet-ropes, stashes of food and filling pots with water. Also drag useful stuff outdoors to make it easier to pick up in the future. A single base can be blocked by Zs so you cannot return to safeplace after a looting raid or you may need a safehouse somewhere else (to avoid a megamob for example or because of "quarantine" chunks with fire) and you don't have it because you invested in a single base. 

I usually try to occupy the "axis" : "isolated house" (actually this building),  this building, "large warehouse", "McCoy". 

I'll try to translate: "When a human is born he is weak and flexible; when he dies he is tough and stiff. Stiffnes and strength are companions of death while flexibility and weakness denote the freshness of existence"

Thats how I see it: every 2story house is a base, especially if you don't have 4lvl carpentry.

I kinda like that idea. I  had thought of the "nomad" approach before, but I've never gotten around to it. how long have you survived using that technique? Post it here in longest survivals.

The Large Warehouse in Mauldraugh

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.4484445848186635,0.1466536522235044,171.18912860651517

Best base in my opinion, far enough to be quiet, not so far that makes it hard to go for a raid in the city.

Fisrt floor full of crates, all sort of items found there (hardly lacks a sledge), and no need to make anything to storage, just pick up some crates.

Third floor makes for a great farming area, and second floor needs a lot of wooden floors, good for leveling up carpentry, also lots of woods nearby and foraging areas.

Here are some prints of my base after 2 months ins Fisrt Week normal dificulty.

Spoiler

Third Floor

base pz.png

Second Floor

BASE PZ2.png

First Floor have some crates but I don't use it, also I like to do add some flavor to my bases, so I like to collect some furniture. from around.

Getting kind of boring now, just waiting for anims droping in IWBUMS to drop this save.

8 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

how long have you survived using that technique?

Maybe a month, I usually survive for a month(survival) because I get bored and do some stupid things like falling from balcony or failing timing with a knife-jaw-strike.  No matter if I have a safehouse or roam around its usually about a month : ) I tried farming a couple of times - its damn boring minecraft stuff: do nothing, get shittons of food, so I play roaming foragers most of the time. However we've got nutrition now, maybe planting carrots/potatoes will be really necessary. 

I never had a chance to try a really long-term survival (a year) because I don't have much time to play and sometimes "drop" characters because of updates. But for now I mentioned no difference between a "base" or "roaming" approach, I mean the length of being alive. Once you play tired - you make mistakes and this is much more significant than having a base, because for now a sledgehammer and a couple of sheet ropes make everything a base. 

5 hours ago, JonJon said:

Here are some prints of my base after 2 months ins Fisrt Week normal dificulty.

The way to survive almost forever in PZ (if you have a lot of wood and twine). I wonder if there will be new ways to preserve food for winter, something like drying meat and crops.

I used to love, as JonJon does, the large warehouse, but i quitted it after a while because it's too close to the highway and the zombie threat is kinda constant.

Instead of it i moved here, just on the opposite side of Muldraugh. There's lotsa wood to chop and protected by trees almost all around,  relatively easy to wall off and near the police station, some diners and gas-2-go, mini mall and a small trailer park with a storage facility.

I use to take the inner street to go to cortman (usually a difficult place) and eventually trying to trip to the large warehouse for interesting supplies (although in the base there are lotsa crats and shelves to loot). Taking supplies is the most dangerous part of the story but if i can gather it enough of them is a good safe place. I use to destroy the metallic ladder to the upper floor and attach a rope on the banister and another on every window, after setting some wooden floor, so i can run off the place if the main floor is invaded.

Anyway, the game leit motif is your death so i always end dying :-D

Edited by nubus

Have anyone ever walled the railyard ? 

It takes less then 50 walls to seal it (~150 trees and some sheets which are plenty there). I mean log walls because Zs seem to ignore them (not sure about this).

It has no foraging, so only crops, watercollectors and winter stash of cans and chips. The territory is very vast, no Z will ever try to find you.

11 minutes ago, GOGOblin said:

It takes less then 50 walls to seal it (~150 trees and some sheets which are plenty there). I mean log walls because Zs seem to ignore them (not sure about this).

It has no foraging, so only crops, watercollectors and winter stash of cans and chips. The territory is very vast, no Z will ever try to find you.

Definitely an interesting project, it would take quite a bit of work to set up and  also looks like a bit of a trek to the town of Muldraugh, it does seem like an interesting challenge though.

In relation to Zeds avoiding log walls, its not something I've ever experienced, quite the opposite in fact,

For instance I remember one base I had that had log walls only in certain areas (it wasn't finished yet) and every morning I would go outside to be greeted by Zeds banging their heads of a single log wall.

12 minutes ago, Stephen122334 said:

Zeds avoiding log walls, its not something I've ever experienced, quite the opposite in fact

Oh, well, maybe this was changed or it was just a rumor.

If Zs attack DIY walls without hearing a player behind them the railyard walls will be hard to maintain. But if they attack only if they hear you - then its ok, they'll never hear or spot you from the fence.

Man, if you are able to secure this and have supplies to have a long lastin' place,  you have TERMINUS there. The way to bring supplies there... gosh, it's in the middle of nowhere!

A dismemberment and cannibalism mod would be good there hawhawhaw

Edited by nubus

4 hours ago, nubus said:

I used to love, as JonJon does, the large warehouse, but i quitted it after a while because it's too close to the highway and the zombie threat is kinda constant.

And I really love the highway, yes, zombies are kind constant there, but it helps a lot in locomotion IMO, for example, I'm in the city and want to run to the base, just go left and take the highway, use some woods to loose the horde and you're fine, also choppers are a pain in the ass, but I try to get group of 4-5 zeds and take them down with an axe, if tired, go rest, then repeat, that's how i het to 1k zeds killed.

4 hours ago, nubus said:

Instead of it i moved here, just on the opposite side of Muldraugh.

That's a good place, in MP we made a secondary base there, but I don't like it for primary, cause you can't acess a rooftop to start your farming untill you reach carpentry 7, but that's a better place if you want to get some gas.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.8990362750259141,0.14290149524167303,114.47545997288273

Hands down my favorite base in multiplayer when I am not in charge of a huge community.

The perimeter barbed wire fence is useful simply because it's an obstacle and any zed that happen to wander this way get "stuck" around it or don't cross it. I play on servers with random environment attack disabled, so I usually build a long log wall in the nearby forest to deter zeds around it.

There is a lake to the north and the mall is a trek through the forest away. As long as I can secure each building (light barricades, lock up what I need to lock up) I have multiple buildings at me and my group's disposal. I had a group of 4 living here once, two people lived in the large 2-floor house and the other two lived in their own individual house for them to maintain.

The fireplace in the big house is a unique and useful add-on, not having to build a fire outdoors or haul an antique oven over is a great bonus on top of the generous storage.

Once we fended off the first few zed attacks, most other players avoided the farm completely (literally 1 visitor in the whole standing of our existence on the server) and the zed were more attracted to stuff going on at the mall than anything else.

The dream was to build a "flow/bottleneck" wall across that whole line of forest with door gaps to let us through to the important locations, but it never became entirely necessary (or possible within our time there).

Oh, i know the place. In MP i used to get this place, a bit farer from the mall. I got it because used to be quiet an has a nearby lake to get water and fish. And i always visited the mall in the way there to gather some supplies (sometimes at cost of my life...)

My favorite base is the lonely farm far far north, it has a well and about 8 houses (or more) not far, for survival its great, z's dont come there very often and if they do its usually 1 or 2, stuff that you bring and you find "near by" you can live for sometime

But then the downside

Its heck of a trip to get there..its the last houses up north so getting there takes supplies and getting between town and that farm takes planing and even more supplies

And if you dont have plan b when power goes out and water then manure will take aerodynamic properties and make contact with air cooler..in another words: if you havent gone full farmville and you dont have supplies on stock then poop will hit the fan

But no matter that this location is more remote than sauna in outer hebrides and only thing you can do there is survive,read book,eat,sleep and repeat, i like it..

I like it cause it is actually safe..cause when i finally return from looting and my body is roadmap to all that is painfull while carrying a 50" TV (cause why not) i like to return to place that is safe

But that just me

Muldraugh railyard is by far my favourite spot. I never walled it entirely, though. And I don't like the fact that it rains and snows in all the covered-by-ground hangars and those metal hangars (or at least it used to).

Edited by Geras

On August 18, 2016 at 7:33 AM, GOGOblin said:

I attempted it once. It was a long process and I died before completion, but it worked well to keep out zeds. I just had to clear them out occasionally. As for my favorite base, that'd have to be the apartment above the hardware store in West Point. I've survived up there for three months so far and I find that after a while, the area stays pretty clear.

On 18.08.2016 at 9:57 PM, Geras said:

t it rains and snows in all the covered-by-ground hangars

It seems to be set as outdoor, report it to map bugs. Those hangara are also bugged-transparent on their sides.

On 19.08.2016 at 4:08 PM, Strats said:

I've survived up there for three months

I just cant play that long : (, I always have a shitton of food, tools and medic stuf then play tired and misclick some single Z...