Walls

Zorak

Hey guys.

I did some testing about new building mechanics. I just wanted to check what walls are now worth to build considering their durability and materials needed.

I created a new game just for testing: and created  4 walls

Metal wall lvl 1 on metal frame

Wooden wall lvl 1 on metal frame

wooden wall lvl 1 on wooden frame

Log wal

Then each of those walls get 1 hit with axe (strenght lvl 5)

and I contunue to hit them untill they get destroyed.

results are:

Metal wall lvl 1 on metal frame  8 hits

Wooden wall lvl 1 on metal frame 6 hits

wooden wall lvl 1 on wooden frame 4 hits

Log wal 17 hits

conclusion

Frame does matter

metal walls are crap (durability vs time and materials needed to build one)

log walls are still the best.

I still need to test lvl 2-3 wooden walls and lvl 2 metal walls.

pzWALLS.jpg

54 minutes ago, kirrus said:

This sounds about right for real life really. Unless you're building a wall with brand new metal materials, or a wire fence from previously created wire and strong reinforcement posts.. metal walls should be a bit pants compared to log walls ;)

But for game is bad that the wall that requires the most effort to build is way worse than the wall that anyone can build with the most common resources.

20 minutes ago, Zorak said:

But for game is bad that the wall that requires the most effort to build is way worse than the wall that anyone can build with the most common resources.

Exactly. It should be rather a matter of choice "which wall suits my needs best" and not "you have just spent hundreds of hours coding and drawing this stuff in, but let's just continue using log walls anyway".

3 hours ago, kirrus said:

This sounds about right for real life really. Unless you're building a wall with brand new metal materials, or a wire fence from previously created wire and strong reinforcement posts.. metal walls should be a bit pants compared to log walls ;)

Well, isn't the metal wall even worse, since it makes more noise when hit, thus attracting zeds? Sounds like a lot of work for no reward.

30 minutes ago, kirrus said:

Project Zomboid has a long streak of letting the player do what they want, even if it'll get them killed. Like going on a zombiekilling spree, in the mall, with a shotgun. It's just a really really dumb idea. ;)

Poor reasoning for a game, still. 

Because that's what this still is when it comes down to it. A game. The more work you put into something you should have at least some kind of noticeable reward from it. 

Dismissing it as "Well, even if it's dumb you can still do it!" Is... well, it's stupid. Sorry, not trying to be rude, and I'm not calling YOU stupid... but It's terrible logic. 

I would think you would still want players to pursue something worthwhile. If it ultimately isn't worthwhile to produce metal walls, no one will make metal walls... You've wasted your time to include something that no one will use.

As for your shotgun analogy.... Using the shotgun CAN be a stupid move in certain places, but if you use it intelligently it can really save you or you can use it to lure zombies. 

The metal wall has no such functionality. It takes up time, resources and produces a sub-par product. The shotgun still has a positive functionality.

I'm not saying it needs to out-shine the log wall, but it's barely better than a plank-made carpentry wall. Which are more abundant and easily replaced. Literally grows on trees. 

Edited by Sick Boy

Are you playing with Red-Pak enabled, or something? We juiced up log walls quite a bit in the mod, but in the default game, they should only have 100 or so health prior to applying any carpentry bonus. A level one metal wall provides a bonus health of 150; I'm unsure of what the base health is for this object.

I assume the axe's tree/door damage is used for the attack, which is 35 damage per swing. (2-4 for zombies).

Edited by EnigmaGrey

18 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Are you playing with Red-Pak enabled, or something? We juiced up log walls quite a bit in the mod, but in the default game, they should only have 100 or so health prior to applying any carpentry bonus. A level one metal wall provides a bonus health of 150; I'm unsure of what the base health is for this object.

I assume the axe's tree/door damage is used for the attack, which is 35 damage per swing. (2-4 for zombies).

Why are you no longer moderator on any of the Zomboid forums?

21 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I have some mods but only for multiplayer play, my SP games are without mods. I had handy trait for faster carpentry xp gain. I know that RNG can mess tests like that but difference was quite big.

It was initial infection , easy mode game that i used for this test. Ill try to do another one like that tomorrow.

There's a question nagging me in regards to your findings.

That is, how does this scale with higher level walls? If I am correct the higher the level, the more health a wall has, but do we know the rates at which this occurs for metal walls? I imagine that at a beginners level, metal walls will be fairly weak, but for someone who is an expert, I suspect metal walls could be become something of a proper fort.

I also believe that there is no such scaling for log walls, and as such no matter your level in carpentry or whatever, it will keep the same health. So that means that although at the start a log wall might seem superior, at further stages standard wooden walls and possibly metal walls could prove better.

Ok i did another testing.

This time there were 8 walls

1 and 2 log walls

3 and 4 metal walls on metal frame

5 metal wall on wooden frame

6 wooden wall on metal frame

7 and 8 wooden walls on wooden frame

all walls were lvl 1

results are here:

log wall 1 - 18 hits

log wall 2 18 hits

metal wall on metal frame 1 10 hits

metal wall on metal frame 2 9 hits

metal wall on wooden frame 8 hits

wooden wall on metal frame  7 hits

wooden wall on wooden frame 1 5 hits

wooden wall on wooden frame 2 5 hits

results are a bit different as more walls -> more hits so I had to rest a few time during that test.

Also my metalworking skill was bit bigger this time ( 5 not 3)

Next time ill try to test metal walls lvl 2 and wooden walls lvl 2-3.

no mods were enabled.

So still a good old log wall is way better than metal wall

WALLTEST2PZ.jpg

Edited by Zorak
some typos

On 5.8.2016 at 1:06 AM, Sick Boy said:

As for your shotgun analogy.... Using the shotgun CAN be a stupid move in certain places, but if you use it intelligently it can really save you or you can use it to lure zombies. 

The metal wall has no such functionality. It takes up time, resources and produces a sub-par product. The shotgun still has a positive functionality.

The metal walls do have a positive function: making more noise when hit

I wouldn´t build a fort with metalwalls in RL and would prefer logwalls, but look at the possible strats that pop up with the metal wall as a bindingelement for zeds.

Use them to gather large amounts of zeds in an area for e.g. mass desposal, player trap, ...

Just as the shotgun: Could mean your death if used in the "wrong" way but in other situation it just fits perfectly.