map expansion?

gonomonakak

I have no idea what to expect now (as I would still be surprised to see Fort Knox before NPCs are at least close to being out) but the only sizable thing to the south is Radcliff.

I did a bit of poking around on Google Maps in the Knox/Radcliff area and did find a community center in Radcliff though (since we know from the new Mondoid that there's one in the new area) :)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Colvin+Community+Center/@37.8394445,-85.9467589,555m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1scommunity!3m4!1s0x0:0x3a42d3c8188eebb0!8m2!3d37.83964!4d-85.9450418

I can only hope this is the case but I've never heard them mention Radcliff in the past so it's really just a shot in the dark (since people keep bringing it up and it really is the only thing besides Fort Knox to the south big enough to get hyped about).

Edited by Kuren

I just hope it's not this little neighborhood that was clearly built up in recent years (the Google Map images show it being built at different stages when you zoom in and out but the north east area of it may be older, since the buildings there are different):

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9021522,-85.9901204,2753m/data=!3m1!1e3 

It's actually the best candidate (besides not entirely existing in 1993) but it's so small compared to things we know have been worked on for years (like Orell) and it's so close to Muldraugh that it wouldn't feel like that engaging of a new spawn location. So to me personally, it would feel like a let down after such a long wait now.

Fingers crossed for Radcliff but I'm expecting to get let down again after Orell lol

I'm guessing it will be the small residential area linked above, looking at google maps you can see why it is taking so long to update the map. When you consider how similar to scale MD and West point are the whole area is massive.

Just creating the few buildings i have in my spare time takes a few hours and with the size of the buildings in Louisville we may not see it until 1.0. Though i assume they are using a dev version of creative mode at this point but who knows.

I hope we don't see a lot of copy paste areas in the City though, In MD and WP every building is unique enough that no building seems identical.

Edited by Neutralnz1

1 hour ago, Zorak said:

It probably will be this area

http://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.21112874553636413,0.23673720253174144,16

I hope it will ba a bit bigger that the areo on the map and we will be able to spawn there.

The sad reality of this is starting to sink in :( We will be able to spawn there (as confirmed by the previous Mondoid) but it only makes me wish we could spawn at Knob Creek as well.

I don't get why you guys are complaining so much, We are getting a new map area when they could have just waited even longer. I highly doubt it will be just houses, I'm sure they will take some creative liberties. It also means that they wont have to do that area for fort Knox so that will come out sooner when they start on it. Optimism lads.

3 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I don't get why you guys are complaining so much, We are getting a new map area when they could have just waited even longer. I highly doubt it will be just houses, I'm sure they will take some creative liberties. It also means that they wont have to do that area for fort Knox so that will come out sooner when they start on it. Optimism lads.

I agree with this, but I can (slightly) understand where they are coming from. What I hope they'll do (eventually) is add in the other side of the river. If you check out the map-

http://map.projectzomboid.com#0.6593302685868835,0.05559988863009993,3.72108862978205

-you'll see that it's desolate, and empty. I want to eventually cross the river to raid the surrounding forest and possibly a few of the towns over there (I know, that'll probably be a while, but hey, a guy can hope, right?)

This link here is a map to the spot you guys are so sad about:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Muldraugh,+KY/@37.8999918,-85.982233,482m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x886920e97d5031c9:0x70e1eb33a4c46c0!8m2!3d37.9370158!4d-85.9916308

As you can see, TI isn't just houses. It has a school (could be an awesome base) and upon further research I found this

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fort+Knox+Water+Park/@37.8975167,-85.9817717,212m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8868df703b16c107:0x8c70129cd76484e4!8m2!3d37.8976938!4d-85.9808003

This one shows another school, a golf course, and a water park (sounds like fun killing zombies on a water slide to me:P) so in conclusion, It probably won't be just a bunch of houses.

Oh I'm sure it won't just be a bunch of houses as well. We know there will be a community center for one thing.

And I haven't been complaining, I've just been expressing my disappointment after having such optimism. There are plenty of things I could complain about but I usually choose not to.

The reason I'm disappointed and frustrated is that we're so in the dark here, leaving us to guess and get falsely hyped up over areas while they hold semi radio silence for the map and other features as well now. So if I'm going to complain, it's about the lack of communication in Mondoids here. They could have simply broken it down and said, we're working on this neighborhood next to Fort Knox and this is how we'll deal with not having Fort Knox ready and right there (even if them dealing with it is just having it not be there). Instead of just saying "we're doing a residential thing to the south" and us all reacting like "wait, what? Isn't that mostly Knox?" they could have at least told us something more this week as opposed to just saying "yup, it's south of Muldraugh" "oh and it has a rec center" ultimately leaving us where we started but just knowing it's not Orell, the one place we've actually had updates on in the past.

We used to hear details about this stuff and even sometimes see this stuff (as the older Mondoids I linked here show). I get why NPCs are off the table but does that cover things like the map expansion, creative mode or anything else that's a meaningful addition now too?

This is what caused me to look back into older Mondoids and realize how much work had been done (and should have been done since) on the area south of Louisville. Then when you compare the size of even half that WIP area to the area next to where Fort Knox will be on the map right now you realize this area isn't all that big compared to what was teased over a year ago in the past.

I care less about the new expansion now simply because I'm wondering what's going on with Orell. What's going on with all the other areas of the map that have been worked on for the past two years? Is it something to do with the new map loading and creative that's holding it back? We're simply left in the dark to wonder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we get anything and I'll certainly explore the area a few times when it comes out. Then again, it's so far from the river and I'll probably get bored and want to start living off the land and fishing, so I'll most likely go back to playing West Point and Knob Creek area again until Orell finally shows up.

In the end, who knows though. It could be an enlarged version of the area being built on the Google Map images that didn't exist in the 90s or even just the areas that were possibly there back then, it could be that and Fort Knox, it could be a full blown rendition of Radcliff. They could really come out and surprise us with something huge and I'll be blown away. But at this point I'm ready to be let down and have it just be this area (in all honesty a small water park with a slide and putt-putt golf doesn't mean much to me, as landmarks like that don't really have anything special about them that affects gameplay in Zomboid). I'm really back to being excited for animations at this point since we know more about them and that they'll change the way the game plays for the better in so many ways. The only parts of the map that can beat that hype for me right now are to the north lol

Edited by Kuren

4 hours ago, Kuren said:

Snip

I see where you coming from and its interesting to give it a though of why this happen.

From my opinion, i think they are expanding into the south of Muldraugh to lead up to Fort Knox, since that area has been empty in the map since a lot of builds ago, those roads were paved since then, also they are adding new weapons some time down the line that probably are going to be in Fort Knox (but we need NPCs first).

Also something might have gone wrong in the mapping area since it was Pre-Creative mode,  we might never know,  we just need to wait and see why this happen, maybe something important will drop next build, maybe it was a smoke screen to forget about the north of West Point and not make the map stale.

Also what is next after the new animation system is in?

We have almost everything that has been shown in mondoids, the secret 2x textures, lighting and soon the animations, what is the next big thing they are working on feature wise?

It might also be possible that the devs who work on map creation are also working on another project, but still have a little time for map creation. It's probably more manageable to create a small section of map rather than a huge addition.

1 hour ago, Strats said:

It might also be possible that the devs who work on map creation are also working on another project, but still have a little time for map creation. It's probably more manageable to create a small section of map rather than a huge addition.

Who was making Creative mode?

22 minutes ago, GOGOblin said:

"While we’re back in the map, too, we’ll look at additions such as a body of water for Muld so ardent fishermen and fisherladies (for example) get more choice in their play area." - http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/08/thirty-fivin/

No matter what we get I wouldn't be surprised if this lake was included :)

10 minutes ago, Kuren said:

"While we’re back in the map, too, we’ll look at additions such as a body of water for Muld so ardent fishermen and fisherladies (for example) get more choice in their play area." - http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/08/thirty-fivin/

No matter what we get I wouldn't be surprised if this lake was included :)

This lake seems to be too small for a good fishing, but some small fish and frogs and ducks - why not? And a source of water - the most important. BTW there are a few small ponds north from Muldraugh, but they are not added "for the greater balance", I guess.

I don't know how is it for now, but there should be different types of water for fishing and foraging purposes - deep river water with pikes and shallow muddy pond water with mostly frogs.

Edited by GOGOblin

On 8/9/2016 at 5:06 PM, Kuren said:

The reason I'm disappointed and frustrated is that we're so in the dark here, leaving us to guess and get falsely hyped up over areas while they hold semi radio silence for the map and other features as well now. So if I'm going to complain, it's about the lack of communication in Mondoids here. They could have simply broken it down and said, we're working on this neighborhood next to Fort Knox and this is how we'll deal with not having Fort Knox ready and right there (even if them dealing with it is just having it not be there). Instead of just saying "we're doing a residential thing to the south" and us all reacting like "wait, what? Isn't that mostly Knox?" they could have at least told us something more this week as opposed to just saying "yup, it's south of Muldraugh" "oh and it has a rec center" ultimately leaving us where we started but just knowing it's not Orell, the one place we've actually had updates on in the past.

I think it's called a surprise. The devs probably want us to wonder and eventually be excited to the point we want to scream when it comes out. And for all we know, It won't be that area. It could just be a decoy to keep our hopes down and to make us not suspect anything big. For all we know they are working on the north to. They said they were working on the south some, and never said anything about that being the only place to have expansion.

Edited by TheWraithPlayer
Fix Grammar