map expansion?

gonomonakak

the last mondoid said that they will be adding a new part of the map to "the south". and this has me VERY excited, its been getting stale with only two towns and like nothing worth exploring in the back roads.so i always welcome a new addition to the game world,but south is fort knoxx,not exactly a residential area,like they said. what do you guys think theyll be adding? im hoping radcliff,maybe they got in touch with the dude making the custom map,and theyre adding it to the main map since its actually kinda close,and to the south of mul.  ideas and conspiracy theorys are welcome

How will they do this though?
The radio says in the start Louisville is not in the event zone, and that the army is blockaded in between you and there. 
Will there just be a line where they shoot at you and zombies until it collapses and is pushed further back? 

Some of us were having this same discussion on the Steam forums :P lol

You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/353915953243203263/

Neutz brought up a good point that they technically don't state it's south of Muldraugh in the Mondoid and that they could be referring to south of the aforementioned Louisville ( http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/08/thirty-fivin/ ).

"We haven’t expanded the PZ map in a while, and with Louisville still a ways off we’re currently building a new residential area to the south for Build 35."

I'm personally starting to think it might be the area teased in this older Mondoid :)

Teaser Image: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Louisville-outskirts.jpg

Spoiler

Louisville-outskirts.jpg

Mondoid that it's from: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2015/01/h1pz2/

RingoD - "I’m currently designing large sections of the map that will expand the world north up to our rendition of Louisville. This includes large, dense sections of suburbia, thick woodland with secluded neighbourhoods and everything in-between."

It's residential and to the south of Louisville, sounds like a decent fit to me :)

Edited by Kuren
Added "Spoiler" tab for quick view of image and quotes from links for easy reference.

41 minutes ago, Crazy ManMan said:

Really? I could have sworn I read previously they planned on adding Louisville. Maybe that is the plan then.  I am not sure. I will bummed if they do not add it because I see tons of potential there.

Louisville has been talked about in previous Mondoids (like the one with the map expansion teaser image) as well as the latest Mondoid that I linked in my last post, so I assume they still plan on adding some of it :)

Edit: Here's another mention of it in a Mondoid where they talk about changing how the map loads to increase building height limits, from earlier this year; http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/dark-places/ - "foundations of our Louisville city map"

1 hour ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

The radio says in the start Louisville is not in the event zone, and that the army is blockaded in between you and there. 
Will there just be a line where they shoot at you and zombies until it collapses and is pushed further back? 

And as for this, my only guesses would be that either they have different broadcasts prepared for when more of the map and "other certain features" are in the game and they have the current ones as placeholders or that you wont be able to spawn there maybe and the army will be there blocking you for a few days. I really have no idea though :P lol

Edit: I also just realized that they could make it so spawning in Louisville just started you at a later date in single player games. Maybe making it the "hardcore" location to start at. But once again, I have no clue what the real plan is :P

Edited by Kuren

Well for one, there is suppose to be a quarantine, also way back then, one of the things that they mentioned was something along the lines of "how are you going to live your last days, with your family or trying to avoid the sniper fire approaching the quarantine"

So in my head i think they are going to maybe set up some sort of quarantine between West Point and Louiseville, and that quarentine could have some sort of sniper that gives out warning shots and the more you approach it, you will get killed by it?

They said that choppers are going to eventually have gunfire, so it is possible that you will get shot without anyone there.

Then when shit hits the fan and everyone is pretty much on their own, we can access the city? I seriously dont know but that is how i think its going to play out.

Also south to Muldraugh there is what appears to be a very big residential area right next to Godman Army Airfield and all of that leads to Fort Knox.

But i am going to give a long shot and say that Fort Knox is off the radar until the weapons in the game are in?

Also here is a picture of the area i am talking about

test.png

52 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

Also south to Muldraugh there is what appears to be a very big residential area right next to Godman Army Airfield and all of that leads to Fort Knox.

But i am going to give a long shot and say that Fort Knox is off the radar until the weapons in the game are in?

I was wondering about that area and thinking that must be it at first as well but it's so small that I hope it's not just that after realizing they may be talking about south of Louisville. And like you mentioned, I highly doubt they'll add Fort Knox or any military locations before the new weapons and possibly even those other things people want so badly.

Plus it wouldn't make much sense to me to have that be a new spawn area you can choose ( "it’ll add an engaging new option to the usual WP/Muld spawn decision" ) as it seems about as far from Muldraugh as Knob Creek is from West Point.

Edited by Kuren

18 minutes ago, Neutralnz1 said:

I'm pretty hyped for Louisville, though i doubt its scale is gonna be anywhere near Real life. I hope I'm wrong as it could be one of the largest open world cities ever created in a game, it just seems like that would be a massive amount of work.

That would be amazing but how would they get around the lag that would come with the huge city plus the hordes of zeds?

2 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

That would be amazing but how would they get around the lag that would come with the huge city plus the hordes of zeds?

maybe when the zeds get up into the thousands they start merging the ai for them into 10,50,100,so instead of 100000 active ai,s in one area,its more like 5 or 6 hundred. much more manageable,since we can already have like over a thousand zed on screen right now.

2 hours ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Well one of these things was covered in the Mondoid I linked in one of my earlier posts ( http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/dark-places/ ).

"The primary reason for the current (very limiting) 8-storey height map is that it’s pretty hefty in terms of memory: we have to be reserved with the maximum height as ‘one size fits all’. If a tower block has to be 8 high then so does the rest of the entire game, including all the bits above the fields and forests. All that space ‘reserved’ and swallowing up bits of memory and processing time.
This will change however, since changes made for Creative will ultimately allow for each chunk of the map to define its own extents. Therefore a tower block chunk will have its own upper limit without cruelly condemning the middle of a forest to be the same height. While it’s not yet clear how far this could or should be pushed, it’s safe to say we’d be able to consider more than 8 height buildings. This, again, is vital to the foundations of our Louisville city map"

Not sure how they'll deal with (if they even need to deal with) zombie numbers, as like gonomonakak stated, we can already have over a thousand packed on screen currently (with no issues for me at least).

P.S. I'm glad your protest worked btw, xXSly_WolfyXx :P Loving these taller trees :) lol

42 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Well one of these things was covered in the Mondoid I linked in one of my earlier posts ( http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/dark-places/ ).

"The primary reason for the current (very limiting) 8-storey height map is that it’s pretty hefty in terms of memory: we have to be reserved with the maximum height as ‘one size fits all’. If a tower block has to be 8 high then so does the rest of the entire game, including all the bits above the fields and forests. All that space ‘reserved’ and swallowing up bits of memory and processing time.
This will change however, since changes made for Creative will ultimately allow for each chunk of the map to define its own extents. Therefore a tower block chunk will have its own upper limit without cruelly condemning the middle of a forest to be the same height. While it’s not yet clear how far this could or should be pushed, it’s safe to say we’d be able to consider more than 8 height buildings. This, again, is vital to the foundations of our Louisville city map"

Not sure how they'll deal with (if they even need to deal with) zombie numbers, as like gonomonakak stated, we can already have over a thousand packed on screen currently (with no issues for me at least).

P.S. I'm glad your protest worked btw, xXSly_WolfyXx :P Loving these taller trees :) lol

Those are all excellent points, Makes me hyped for the future. And yeah it seems the protest worked. Forests are looking hella nice, Now we just need some fallen trees here and there maybe some river bank tiles, Possibly some animated water...I really need to stop asking for things. ^_^

3 hours ago, Kuren said:

well in cities there will be waaay more than a thousand zeds,so to get the like 10'000 zeds on screen(gunshot in city center) without bad lag they could just merge the ai for large groups of zed into one super ai controlling several hundred zed as one sort of hive mind.that way you will see tens of thousands of active zombies,but the game is only running a few hundred ais(much less cpu intensive)

Johnny Fisher just liked another post of mine in a different topic that reminded me of this picture and Mondoid as well;

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MapCompletion.png

Spoiler

MapCompletion.png

Full Mondoid link: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/06/things-wot-were-doing/

Now we know it's not the area to the west (because that's south of nothing) and we know south of Muldraugh is mostly military. We also know that the area south of Louisville has been worked on for a few years (longer than the area south of Muldraugh), is residential and we've even seen a WIP image (albeit a fuzzy one) of the area from over a year ago. I'm honestly pretty convinced at this point this is the area we'll see :P I may be wrong of course but it sure seems like there's a lot pointing to it lol

Edited by Kuren
Minor spelling fix.

What's to the west of Md in real life, didn't know that area was planned, it's been 2 years since we had a map update and the devs are very ambitious and dedicated so we may get Louisville in its entirety. 2 years to work on the map is a long time, fingers crossed it comes with A loaf of new tiles

1 hour ago, Neutralnz1 said:

What's to the west of Md in real life, didn't know that area was planned, it's been 2 years since we had a map update and the devs are very ambitious and dedicated so we may get Louisville in its entirety. 2 years to work on the map is a long time, fingers crossed it comes with A loaf of new tiles

In real life, Brandenburg is west of West Point :)

Seen on Google Maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brandenburg,+KY+40108/@37.9970234,-86.212002,10349m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88692bf94d01b275:0x583124a751c7e334!8m2!3d37.9989592!4d-86.1694143

It's also been confirmed by the devs in the past that Brandenburg is in fact part of the planned map :)

Like here, in the "March to 1.0" Mondoid: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/06/march-to-1-0/

"Right now there are a bunch of areas of the map that are highly undeveloped. Big rectangular chunks of forest, road layouts with no buildings, and of course no lovely Louisville. In line with our plans to stride toward the 1.0 line, Mash, Binky and RingoD will all join forces to really put the map expansion into overdrive.  Louisville, or at least the part on the Kentucky side of the river, Brandenburg, and of course Fort Knox will all be on the agenda, though the latter may need to wait for NPCs to drop so we can get the military in there."

Edited by Kuren
Fixed spelling of Mondoid from "Monodid"

I wonder if the Active duty soldier professions means you'll actually start off as a soldier guarding the event line... eh, a man can dream. 

I would like it more if you were in Fort Knox when shit hits the fan, trying to survive with the friendly soldiers NPCs.

That is the thing i am most excited about, i want to see the fall of Fort Knox and all the NPCs inside.

8 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I would like it more if you were in Fort Knox when shit hits the fan, trying to survive with the friendly soldiers NPCs.

That is the thing i am most excited about, i want to see the fall of Fort Knox and all the NPCs inside.

That would most certainly be cool. Sure you would have guns and ammo, however, there would be about a billion zombies swarming the place because of all the noise.

Edited by dannyisdude

42 minutes ago, dannyisdude said:

That would most certainly be cool. Sure you would have guns and ammo, however, there would be about a billion zombies swarming the place because of all the noise.

Actually, having access to tanks, bombs and high caliber weapons seems fairly reasonable when you realize there's like 80,000 zombies in one city alone and like one shotgun shell can bring half of them descending upon you. 
The only good thing i could see is if the military sprouts a brain and equips you with a suppressor. 

Edited by LeetgamerBoi

3 minutes ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

Actually, having access to tanks, bombs and high caliber weapons seems fairly reasonable when you realize there's like 80,000 zombies in one city alone. 

Eh, that, I'm not so keen on. Tanks would just be OP, regardless of who you are, however bombs and high caliber weapons could be decent if all they ammo and explosives are used in the initial infection. I think by the time the zombies killed everyone in the base, there would be no ammo left for anything, due the fact it was used in the initial attack and only attracted more zombies.

Edited by dannyisdude

1 hour ago, dannyisdude said:

Eh, that, I'm not so keen on. Tanks would just be OP, regardless of who you are, however bombs and high caliber weapons could be decent if all they ammo and explosives are used in the initial infection. I think by the time the zombies killed everyone in the base, there would be no ammo left for anything, due the fact it was used in the initial attack and only attracted more zombies.

if youve read WWZ,youll see how tanks are essentially useless along with conventional arms,antipersonnel(mainly shrapnel based) explosives wont do much against a horde of zed,all but the very closest zeds will be unharmed,shielded from the blast by the hundreds of other zeds,all packed together nearly shoulder to shoulder.you can run em down,may not kill,but will incapacitate any that go under the treads.but then ya gotta worry about fuel and hope the treads dont get gummed up with dedzed.

On 4.08.2016 at 8:04 AM, Kuren said:

We haven’t expanded the PZ map in a while, and with Louisville still a ways off we’re currently building a new residential area to the south for Build 35."

I'm personally starting to think it might be the area teased in this older Mondoid :)

On 4.08.2016 at 9:45 AM, Blasted_Taco said:

Also here is a picture of the area i am talking about

Why_not_both-.jpg

4 hours ago, Zorak said:

Spoiler

Why_not_both-.jpg

lol, Well I agree I always like more of good things :P And I can only hope that's the case :) However, the reason we're all debating/wondering is because they only really mention one new addition. So I personally highly doubt we'll see too much beyond one direction (whichever direction that may be).

There was no mention of the west leading towards Brandenburg so I really don't see any of that being released (unless they really want to surprise us and blow everyone away) and the south quickly leads into military property which we know they wanted to have NPCs in before adding ( "Fort Knox will all be on the agenda, though [it] may need to wait for NPCs to drop so we can get the military in there." ).

I could see them adding a bit to it and maybe filling in that empty neighborhood and some of the surrounding area simply because they mentioned revisiting Muldraugh and possibly adding a body of water or two to it ( "While we’re back in the map, too, we’ll look at additions such as a body of water for Muld so ardent fishermen and fisherladies (for example) get more choice in their play area." ) but with that being said, I wouldn't consider this area much of an expansion and more so part of that effort, as it would be smaller than the Knob Creek/Mall area with it's back pushed up against Fort Knox.

I'm sticking with the south of Louisville as my educated guess for a few reasons. One being that they stated in the past that they "may need to wait for NPCs to drop so [they] can get the military in there" before adding anything Knox related. Secondly that they stated it would "add an engaging new option to the usual WP/Muld spawn decision" and I don't see that happening with an uncompleted/inaccessible Fort Knox right there, possibly keeping the spawn point about as far from Muldraugh as Knob Creek is from West Point. Thirdly, that area south of Louisville is mostly large residential areas and fourthly, we know they were pretty far along into it over a year ago from the teaser pic.

There are just so many things that fit the bill once you reread this sentence like this; "We haven’t expanded the PZ map in a while, and with Louisville still a ways off we’re currently building a new residential area to the south [of that] for Build 35." The fact that this is all in one sentence makes it completely possible that that is what they intended to communicate and a simple "of that" would have stopped anyone from ever wondering where they were talking about.

Anyway, since I've clearly become the conspiracy theorist of the thread I'll dive a little deeper and use some more pictures to help show and explain all my points in this post :P

Here's the whole area that's planned on Google Maps, I've marked the area south of Louisville that I'm talking about (Orell) with the red Google marker and placed the "in progress" map from a couple years ago below it for reference.

Spoiler

KY PZ GM.pngMapCompletion.png

Now looking at these two maps side by side it's clear that not all of the planned areas will fit on the "in progress" map, making me assume that this second map is simply attempting to only show off areas being worked on (mostly the area leading west to Brandenburg and the area north leading into Orell) at that time of a little over two years ago.

After looking at that let's move on to look at the WIP image of Orell from about a year later.

Spoiler

Louisville-outskirts.jpgOrell GM.png

Now when comparing the fuzzy WIP image to the Google Map of the area you can clearly tell it is in fact Orell and you can see on Google that the area is almost all residential.

Then when we look down to the south of Muldraugh, it seems to be just the one small neighborhood outside of Fort Knox (to the west there) and if you look at the Google Map for it it's pretty clear this is a newer development that wouldn't be there in the early 90s despite the fact it will most likely be in the game (since the roads are there already).

Spoiler

Fort Knox GM.png

My point here is that there's just too much military down there and not enough residential for it to be this area. I still don't think they want military areas without some form of NPCs like they mentioned in the past and based on all the past updates and what we know has been worked on, it seems like the only "southern" area it could really be is Orell.

Like with any theory (conspiracy or not) I may be wrong, but I feel pretty confident that this is the area. There's been nothing other that the last Mondoid to suggest that they have the south of Muldraugh even close to ready to go and that even depends on how you read that, where as we have tons of Mondoids and pictures showing us this area south of Louisville has been worked on for over two years and fits the description of residential better than anything south of anywhere else mentioned.

Anyway, that's my case :P I hope I'm not only right but that I convinced a few of you along the way as well :) lol

Edited by Kuren

My dreams have been crushed :(

"Mash continues with her work on the new residential area that’ll be found to the South of Muldraugh"

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/08/protect-the-spiff/

My map hype is dead... Back to animation hype! lol

Edit: I will say that now I wonder what's holding up Orell. Over two years in the making and now this area south of Muldraugh comes out first? Seems odd. My only guess would be that it has to do with the 8 story limit needing to be removed first, as the WIP image showed great progress for the first year or so of production and that was even over a year ago itself.

Edited by Kuren