Astonishing inventions

GOGOblin

Lets post some weird inventions, that can be useful in PZ world.

1) I found out there is no way to modify the player's arc of sight by a mod, so I think it could be nice to add this or implement some AoS modificators:

A "rawing cap" or selfmade baseball cap with a shard of glass (found this "invention" for bicycle riders in soviet/russian magasine for teens). Its is pretty odd thing to wear, but if you are deaf it will really help to spot some motion behind you. Some "fish-eye" mirror will be much better.

T1c6F1FiNdXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpgbild1.jpgil_570xN.690887249_74cb.jpg

2) After hunting is implemented there will be possible to improve fishing and trapping - astonishingly cruel, sadly. 

2.1) If you have a good string and a fishhook you can "fish" birds, small mammals, frogs. Pretty cruel, but efective.  (Method was approved by my grandmother, who fished neighbour's hans during ww2). Google "squirrel fishing" - without a fish-hook it is an entertainment, otherwise - dinner.

2.2) I've found some traps, based on strings, both for ducks. Cannot find the original pictures, so I made my own.

Drowning trap - a duck swallows the bait, swims away, and the stone pulls it down into water. Needs a bait, a string, a fishing hook, a stick and a stone.

String trap - a duck eats baits (raisins or nuts) one by one and cannot get rid of a string, because it gulps a lot of string through its guts. Nedds only string and baits.

ducks.jpg

Please share your most odd but useful "inventions" here!

Edited by GOGOblin

I even stopped fishing at some point in my life as a young teenager because it came to me I hurt those animals (even though most of the times I released my fish). I think I'd feel uneasy to use those those traps, even if it's just a video game.

Just a personal feeling.

34 minutes ago, Geras said:

I think I'd feel uneasy to use those those traps, even if it's just a video game.

Agree, those traps are kinda cruel ones. But hunting is hunting,  shooting animals also can lead to torturing wounds and so do other traps. There are crate-type traps in PZ, which means you need to kill your dinner manually - also not pleasant.

Well, PZ is a cruel world, right? Plant farms ftw.

3 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

1)

Sounds good, but it looks so uncomfortable. I don't know if it's easy to use those in combat or while running away from zombies. By the way, I've read somewhere about "fooling zombies with mirrors", could it work?

I like those "odd" useful things, but can Average Joe figure them out on his own? It would perfectly fit some "Survivalist" profession or "too smart" trait. :) Or maybe some "How to make a death-machine from sand and duct tape a.k.a Joe's survival" magazines, that definitely existed. I remember reading some of them. 

Edited by Keshash

48 minutes ago, Keshash said:

Sounds good, but it looks so uncomfortable. I don't know if it's easy to use those in combat or while running away from zombies.

Well, shall we perform an experiment? :)  I tested this kind of cap-mirror when I was a kid - pretty useless until you are riding a bike and really do not want to turn back.  I guess deaf character can get use of this thing, especially if it is a panoramic car mirror :) 

I know this is a kinda freaky solutoin, share yours!

6 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

This is an idea I had a while back, and this topic reminded me of it. Basically, you tape a fire alarm to a Frisbee, set it of, and launch it as far away as you could, making a sound lure.

Yep, nice.

Church bells (or sound sytem) could be used in the same manner: connect to a timer and they will gather Z's every morning.

Or a radio-controlled toy with bells or other noisy crap. 

5 hours ago, Gaffa Tape Warrior said:

I think the ideal sound system is one that you don't have to power yourself. It could be something powered by wind that makes a noise when the wind blows. It could attract zombies up onto the top of a building where they fall off and get injured.

Just find enough alarm-clocks and set them with a couple minutes delays..

Ztrap.jpg

15 hours ago, Gaffa Tape Warrior said:

I think the ideal sound system is one that you don't have to power yourself. It could be something powered by wind that makes a noise when the wind blows. It could attract zombies up onto the top of a building where they fall off and get injured.

That was actually implemented in the book World War Z. the got up on rooftops and made a lot of noise, luring the zombies in the skyscraper next door onto it's roof and jumping off trying to get to the people on the other rooftop.

Another Idea I had was bottle rockets and Saturn missile batteries. They serve as both distraction and makeshift weapon!