Dying of old age

Zomboid

If we can't reproduce then the human race will succumb to the zombie outbreak in 60 to 100 years!

With a 30 minute day length... that is...

7.6 days = 1 year...

456 days in real life nearly the entire population should die of old age.

That is assuming your character is 20 years old!!! A doctor on the other hand will probably be 30-50 years old minimum and therefore have nearly HALF a year of life expectancy!

Edited by Zomboid

This has been suggested earlier (about a year ago) that I know of.  I was one of the advocate for it.

Problem with this is that it requires either an extensive health system, a fixed death date (unrealistic) or an RNG death.

Most people were against RNG death (what if you are going about your buisness and suddenly your struck dead by the RNG gods for no other reasons then it was simpler that way and realism was too hard).  Would be frustrating would it not?

So bottom line, we're like elves : immortal until something kill us.

PS, your math does not take into account possible pauses or time speed up (like when you sleep).

• 2 weeks later...

As an actual long term mechanic, I'm not a fan.

As a selected trait? I'd go for it. Character has decreased fitness and strength or maybe constant pain from arthritis and old injuries. They also have a random chance to get a heart attack or collapse from heart failure, followed by RNG rolls to see if it actually kills you or if it passes. A good diet and lots of exercise to raise fitness could mitigate the chances of it killing you and a sufficiently advanced medical doctor could also save you. Heart pills meds would also help push the odds in your favor all around.

A debilitating condition like that would give you lots of skill points to use, in reflection of someone who has lived a long life.

I'd much rather not have this in my save because it just seems too... gamey. Old age is not something half of the playerbase is going to see (not even because of difficulty but because players frequently start over when they reach endgame levels of greatness).

If it's toggleable I might even try it out once or twice but it is not a feature I ever saw happening in PZ.

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I'd much rather not have this in my save because it just seems too... gamey. Old age is not something half of the playerbase is going to see (not even because of difficulty but because players frequently start over when they reach endgame levels of greatness).

If it's toggleable I might even try it out once or twice but it is not a feature I ever saw happening in PZ.

If dying of old age was not a thing, you would not be emperor now would you?

6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

If dying of old age was not a thing, you would not be emperor now would you?

That's not what I meant. Adding in death by old age just seems too gamey of a mechanic to add. Realism aside, it just seems so unnecessary. I understand the blatant irony in that, but it just seems kind of like a redundant push that you will die/deteriorate once a certain value on the year count is met.  I'm fine with aging being optional, heck I may even use it a bunch of times. However as long as I don't have to decay because I somehow manage to keep the same file for thousands upon thousands of hours without getting bored of it to bring my character to 'geriatric', I wouldn't lose sleep over it's addition.

The Sims is an even more prominent example of how aging is an extremely important part of the game, but also completely optional and still remains equally enjoyable for both sides of the coin.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I don't think it would be much fun to play on the same world for over a year in real time only to suddenly drop dead due to factors outside of your control. It wouldn't feel much different from there being a random chance for your character to die every in-game hour.

Edited by ToastedFishSandwich