Positional VOIP Using Mumble

Leond

Good day everyone!

First off I want to say that I know this has been recommended in the past however please hear me out as I think it would be possible thanks to the work done by BigJK with PZTracker.

I have been playing Project Zomboid on and off for a while and recently started playing with a group of friends. One thing we have always wanted in game is positional voice chat. This would help with immersion, roleplay, and overall gameplay. 

I wasn't even sure if this was possible to do until I saw PZTracker by BigJK

My idea is to use a similar system of getting player position from the game and allowing Mumble (or another voice chat program) to read it and place the player appropriately.

This could possibly be done using mumbles link plugin

https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Link

If done properly this could pull data from an application like BigJK uses for PZTracker and set the players position on mumble.

I would also like to see if it would be possible to setup radios in a similar way.

Check to see if player has a powered radio -> check frequency of radio -> whisper to all players who are also on the frequency

This could be done using the Identity section of mumbles link plugin

This could possibly be done for Ham radios / placed radios as well by setting the players identity if they are close enough to a radio but handheld radios would be easier.

Let me know what you guys think! Is there any other ideas for voice you would like to see? Do you think you could help make this a reality?

Edited by Leond
Added link to PZTracker

1 minute ago, Rathlord said:

Positional VOIP is already in the works for the game, just FYI. If people wanted to work on modding it in the mean time that's obviously fine, but just know that it's a concept that will likely be made obsolete soon!

I did see that it was in the works and am really glad that they decided to do that!

It would be nice to have options to use external servers for voip as well even when voip is first released into the game as I know they plan on releasing it in stages.

regular voip --> Positional voip --> Radios (maybe not in that order)

The code that mumble uses for making a plugin for a game is actually fairly easy so it might not be too hard to do it. I am going to be working on the code myself just really out of practice with coding so thought I would post it here so that someone who is more practiced with programming could take a crack at it.