Jump to content
MyTJ

A few features of NPC (hope I'm not too late)

Recommended Posts

Ok, so I was discussing this game with a friend and telling him how I was hoping to fill my insanely large Perma Base with a few survivors (or a lot... would need more housing to avoid discontentment see note 3).

 

Got me thinking on what basic trait NPC "followers" should have or be tagged with.  Feel free to comment and add,  I'll update this to include suggestions both in the "I deem worthy" and "I'm against it or I don't care category".  While we wait for NPC it could be a good way to distract us from such post as "when NPC will be here" and focus on what we actually want out of them (assuming it's not to late).

 

I know this may not be knew, but play along and we could get a list of do and don't do to help our friendly devs.

 

First and foremost

You should be able to edict a few rules (see note 1).  You should be able to assign role to NPC, idealy based on skills or potential (see note 2).  Anything else falls here?

 

Note 1 : Edict rules

Maybe those won't be as complex as a pre-apocalypse legal system.  But some obvious ones should make their way in :

  • Rationing (both food or other items)
  • Curfew or restriction to go out.  This could be targeted against specific roles to allow some but not all out of your base, for the good of all.
  • Basic 10 commendment stuff (not kill, not steal, etc).
  • Anything else?

 

Side effect of note 1

Obviously their may be time where you need to enforce such rules... what will you do then?  Will you banish people?  Will you simply kill them (or just whip them a few times)?

 

But more importantly, both the rules and the punishment for breaking it should have an impact on NPC (based on his/her psyche in the first place... is it a conformist?  an anarchist? etc).

 

Note 2 : Define roles

One of the most interesting possibility of having NPC (beside side quest), is having them fill a specific role.  Are they guards?  Are they farmers tending your community crops?  Are they cook?  Here the list would be too long for me alone to fill it (beside what I've given here).   So I call on the community : What role can NPC have beside being sideshow/side quest?

  • Leader
  • Guard
  • Looter
  • Farmer
  • Cook
  • Builder

 

Note 3 : Behavior modification factor

I assume that things like unjust rules/punishement, starvation, cramped living, etc will have an adverse effect on NPC.  The opposite should also be true (fair rules, enough to eat, decent living space, etc) will have a positive effect on NPC.

 

I deem worthy and credit is due to...

(will insert credit on post number and ref to where it got)

Leader - Keshash in this thread

Builder - Migoxiss in this thread

 

I'm against or I don't care (may be split into two eventualy)

... (will insert both original post number and reply along with a few word summary)

 

No hype train

I don't want post about : when will NPC be there, OMG I wish NPC where there.  We all do, and the answer is when it's ready.  The point of this post is to tell what we want out of them, not how soon we want them.

Edited by MyTJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UR A, damn it this title is quite long... UR A FEW FEATURES OH NPC (HOPE I'M NOT TOO LATE)!!!

 

 

 

Only joking as you know ;) || Man I love ;) face. || Anyways, I like this idea it's a cool, really cool. and cool, did I say it sounded cool? this is really cool, such cool, amazingly cool, 10/10 cool, kin- really cool, but yeah, plz no hype train. And with that, I made "Cool" not sound like a word anymore ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tybug0rz said:

...Only joking as you know ;) || Man I love ;) face. || Anyways, I like this idea it's a cool, really cool. and cool, did I say it sounded cool? this is really cool, such cool...

This is madness! (Please don't kick me into the pit, Tybug0rz)

 

6 hours ago, MyTJ said:

Note 2 : Define roles

*Shuffles papers and gathers all the khajiit's knowledge*

So, we've heard about looter parties and we've saw some "Leader" NPC, that was giving orders to other. Then there was "Tales from Metaverse" mondoid, that stated:

Quote

To start, we’ll do a little make believe story involving some random characters. These are NPC characters within a game of Project Zomboid, and everything you read is taken directly from the functionality of the current meta-game system as it stands now.

From that I can extract that there is/will be:

  • That there were: looters (that were chosen each time, instead of pre-determined role), guard and, possibly, farmers, cause they had farmhouse
  • Bad-ass plotting system.
  • Action
7 hours ago, MyTJ said:

Note 3 : Behavior modification factor

I assume that things like unjust rules/punishement, starvation, cramped living, etc will have an adverse effect on NPC.  The opposite should also be true (fair rules, enough to eat, decent living space, etc) will have a positive effect on NPC.

Then, from what I've heard, all rules that game applies to the player, applies to the NPC too. So, NPC are considered "players that is controlled by AI". If you are talking about opinion, I guess, they're going for Crusader Kings-like NPC (BTW, they feel totally unique).

See picture somewhere nearby. (LinkOpinion.jpg

 

Please don't kill me for overquoting, I just tried to give proofs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tybug0rz said:

UR A, damn it this title is quite long... UR A FEW FEATURES OH NPC (HOPE I'M NOT TOO LATE)!!!

 

 

 

Only joking as you know ;) || Man I love ;) face. || Anyways, I like this idea it's a cool, really cool. and cool, did I say it sounded cool? this is really cool, such cool, amazingly cool, 10/10 cool, kin- really cool, but yeah, plz no hype train. And with that, I made "Cool" not sound like a word anymore ;) 

Please tone down these kinds of posts. Heavily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tybug0rz said:

Why you gotta be soo Ruuude what did I do to yooouuu

I don't want people to have to scroll more than necessary just because you continue to spam the same kind of post across the board. My attempt at saving mousewheel usage across the world.

Please tone it down or you're gone. Last non-warning warning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nasKo said:

I don't want people to have to scroll more than necessary just because you continue to spam the same kind of post across the board. My attempt at saving mousewheel usage across the world.

Please tone it down or you're gone. Last non-warning warning

I..? Wh-..? *Brain dies* I- can only recall one time doing this sort of thing, and I fixed it before anything big happened good sir. Right now I'm as confused as confused can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tybug0rz said:

I..? Wh-..? *Brain dies* I- can only recall one time doing this sort of thing, and I fixed it before anything big happened good sir. Right now I'm as confused as confused can be.

 

If you can't see the pattern I can't help you. Anything else, please PM me. Do not reply to this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Keshash said:

(...)

Please don't kill me for overquoting, I just tried to give proofs.

 

Don't worry :) It's good to know that those ideas are already out there :)

 

But is there anything else we may add to the discussion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27. Juli 2016 at 4:13 PM, MyTJ said:

 

Don't worry :) It's good to know that those ideas are already out there :)

 

But is there anything else we may add to the discussion?

Maybe the "builder" and alongside that general carpentry is relevant for this discussion. I have the feeling that this is quite important, especially if you want to build a sanctuary with all kinds of stuff. I don't like the idea of having to "command" your fellow builder. Like wall for wall. Instead, they should do it on their own and if that's a bit to complicated, you should be able to do a blueprint, kind of, so the builder builds 5x5 Walls or even tell him to secure a certain part of a open field/space between houses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎30 at 8:19 AM, Migoxiss said:

Maybe the "builder" and alongside that general carpentry is relevant for this discussion. I have the feeling that this is quite important, especially if you want to build a sanctuary with all kinds of stuff. I don't like the idea of having to "command" your fellow builder. Like wall for wall. Instead, they should do it on their own and if that's a bit to complicated, you should be able to do a blueprint, kind of, so the builder builds 5x5 Walls or even tell him to secure a certain part of a open field/space between houses.

 

Great idea :)

 

Makes me think that most of the occupation should have a few "automated functions", like farmers removing plants with DWF under certain conditions, cook using spices only if there is a negative happiness stat, etc.

 

Most of all, people eating cooked meal before raw ingredients, before non perishable food.

Edited by MyTJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be cool if NPCs have positive and negative personality traits. 

 

And stuff like-

having a really good builder who doesn't work when he is hungry. 

So you have to keep him fed to get things built. 

 

Having two different skilled NPCs that don't get on with each other. 

Do you try and keep them happy or get rid of one? 

 

Having a good fighter who doesn't follow the rules. You need them but they piss everyone off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Trojan_Turps said:

Having two different skilled NPCs that don't get on with each other. 

Do you try and keep them happy or get rid of one? 

 

 

I like the idea of this, properly manage your group or lose it due to internal conflict. That being said, it also makes you think whether or not you'd go with a large group or a small one because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...