RELEASED: Build 35.26

RobertJohnson

1 minute ago, CaptKaspar said:

Welcome to the forums!

I think this is a great suggestion! There is already a similar mechanic for zombies; eventually overtime your character is less susceptible to being panicked by zeds. 

Could get even more specific with it and your claustrophobic panic level could be based on the size of the room you're in. A large open floor plan living room, not a lot of panic. A small bedroom or closet and your character freaks out!

Until then maybe you could move a chair onto a roof and sleep there for safety if you need to sleep outdoors. There are a number of roofs you can access. Could make a tent as well.

oh yea... i forgot you can move furniture. thanks for the suggestion!

You might want to reconsider the relationship between Panic and Sleep a bit.

I like to play survival while taking almost all the penalties to see how long I can survive.

The problem is that with Agoraphobic and Claustrophobic I quickly become and remain 

We should be able to sleep when exhausted (even if the recuperation from sleep is worse).

Either that or to limit the panic level from Agoraphobic and Claustrophobic to Strong Panic instead of Extreme so that you could fall asleep when exhausted if the only source of panic is one (or both) of those traits.

Otherwise you would have to use Beta Blocker to sleep.

And since you can't see zombies even in front of your face when you combine exhausted, extreme panic and short sighted: having to seek Beta Blockers to be able to sleep under those conditions is not fun.

Edited by vanorfeadiel

Is passing out from exhaustion not added to the game in some way with the new sleep system? I feel like that's the solution to panic and sleeping but I'm guessing from the comments here it's not part of the game yet :P

Hopefully it can be added as a simple fade to black with a popup alert or something for the time being, but I'm assuming it'll for sure come with/after animations :)

1 hour ago, Kuren said:

Is passing out from exhaustion not added to the game in some way with the new sleep system? I feel like that's the solution to panic and sleeping but I'm guessing from the comments here it's not part of the game yet :P

Hopefully it can be added as a simple fade to black with a popup alert or something for the time being, but I'm assuming it'll for sure come with/after animations :)

You know, now that i think about it, maybe is not added yet because of the animation system?

I mean, we can speculate that when the new animations arrive, one of the animations we could see would be our character laying down in the bed either in MP or SP.

So maybe there is a animation of our character passing out and they will add it eventually when the animations are in, since we have quality of sleep now, passing out would be rough as hell.

6 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

You know, now that i think about it, maybe is not added yet because of the animation system?

I mean, we can speculate that when the new animations arrive, one of the animations we could see would be our character laying down in the bed either in MP or SP.

So maybe there is a animation of our character passing out and they will add it eventually when the animations are in, since we have quality of sleep now, passing out would be rough as hell.

Very good point :) That would allow the player to at least prepare for passing out in a bed or something :P

No matter what, I'd imagine if you were panicked all the time you would be pretty tired/exhausted all the time too, probably not getting the best sleep if you're that stressed constantly lol

Edited by Kuren

24 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Very good point :) That would allow the player to at least prepare for passing out in a bed or something :P

No matter what, I'd imagine if you were panicked all the time you would be pretty tired/exhausted all the time too, probably not getting the best sleep if you're that stressed constantly lol

Yeah, now that i think about it, you never really get anxious or stressed from suffering too much panic, but we better cut it here because we need to give feedback in this thread.

Well, playing with tons of bad trait (specially agoraphobic/claustro) you don't expect to have a good time anyway :D

To me, if you take those, you'll need beta blocker to sleep, that's the deal, you'll have lot of free points to build your character but gonna need to compensate.

About passing out, I'm quite against so far, don't know what's the team thoughts tho, but forcing a player to pass out is quite dangerous in gaming, it mean you loose all control, or if not, it's a controlled passing out, like checking if there's no zombies around first, etc... But kinda lame.

So right now it's not planned, animation or not :D

Thanks for nutrition feedback CaptKasar! To me, your diet is quite good, you gained those 8kg in how much time tho?

25 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

About passing out, I'm quite against so far, don't know what's the team thoughts tho, but forcing a player to pass out is quite dangerous in gaming, it mean you loose all control, or if not, it's a controlled passing out, like checking if there's no zombies around first, etc... But kinda lame.

Passing out from pain is bad idea. But passing out as an ultimate penalty for not sleeping for 2-3 days is ok.

Thanks for the quick tweaking updates. So far I have noticed I need to eat slightly more. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I'm only two days into playing with these adjustments, and I have been chowing down pretty heartily.

Looking forward to seeing how easy it is to survive in my woodland hut in the winter with nutrition in.

Hmmm. I do wonder though. I can trap birds with worms, which are themselves a renewable resource. Will it consume too many calories in terms of effort to gather the worms for my bird traps, relative to the calories I get from the birds? If not, then I can just eat birds all the time without concern. Catching rabbits and squirrels requires vegetables, which don't grow in the coldest months, but worms are year round as far as I know.

57 minutes ago, Zorak said:

Passing out from pain is bad idea. But passing out as an ultimate penalty for not sleeping for 2-3 days is ok.

This is the kind of passing out I was talking about :)

Doesn't the tooltip when you hover your mouse over the last stage of the sleepy/tiredness moodle even say that you're in danger of passing out? (this is why I assumed it was planned tbh)

Edited by Kuren

Some thoughts:

Digital Watch's alarm radius is too big, and seems to attract zombies pretty far away even though it is just some beeping. 

Wall hitboxes are bit off (right clicking only works in some parts of the wall, for example I had to right click top right corner in order to bring up the menu)

I woke up at night and wasn't able to go back to sleep (I had the moodlet "tired"), I had to wait 2 hours to be able to go back to sleep, I think that is a pretty long time to wait just because you randomly woke up at night.

11 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Well, playing with tons of bad trait (specially agoraphobic/claustro) you don't expect to have a good time anyway :D

To me, if you take those, you'll need beta blocker to sleep, that's the deal, you'll have lot of free points to build your character but gonna need to compensate.

Thanks for nutrition feedback CaptKasar! To me, your diet is quite good, you gained those 8kg in how much time tho?

It was over probably 6 hours of gameplay. Not sure how many in game days passed. I'm pretty sure our server is set to 1hr days. So probably close to a week in game.

As for the passing out from exhaustion thing; I see both sides of this argument.

On one hand, any time you take control away from a player and cause things to happen to them that may result in their game ending will cause massive nerd raging. As a rule, it's just not good for gameplay in most cases.

However, I think this could be done in PZ with a little care and I think it would be awesome. First of all, we are warned that this is going to happen. "In danger of passing out". It is up to the player to put their character in situations where this doesn't happen. It's your fault if you've been up for 2 days doing physical labor and not sleeping. The game didn't randomly screw you there, the player controlling the character let this happen. It would need to be carefully balanced though. For instance you should be warned about it when you become very tired and again when you become exhausted, giving the player plenty of heads up. Maybe add in some yawning animations and sounds? Certain things like being panicked should havefset the passing out. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug! But when you come off that adrenaline high your body is going to want to crash! We also already have vitamins (maybe change these to caffeine pills) that offset your tiredness. Carrying some of these on you would help ensure that you make it home safely. Vitamins could then be tied to nutrition instead? I also think that being too hot or too cold could hasten how quickly you pass out. In real life they sure do. Exertion level could be tied in too. Boredom too?

TLDR; exhaustion should make you pass out. But, if you're running down the street being chased by zombies, there is no way in heck you should pass out. Only when your character has a sense of security that this should happen. Reading a skill book in my safe house for hours on end, yeah I'd be alright with passing out from that. IRL I've been found in a chair more than once with a book on my face snoring :) 

Edited by CaptKaspar

5 hours ago, Yolan said:

Thanks for the quick tweaking updates. So far I have noticed I need to eat slightly more. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I'm only two days into playing with these adjustments, and I have been chowing down pretty heartily.

Looking forward to seeing how easy it is to survive in my woodland hut in the winter with nutrition in.

Hmmm. I do wonder though. I can trap birds with worms, which are themselves a renewable resource. Will it consume too many calories in terms of effort to gather the worms for my bird traps, relative to the calories I get from the birds? If not, then I can just eat birds all the time without concern. Catching rabbits and squirrels requires vegetables, which don't grow in the coldest months, but worms are year round as far as I know.

Currently digging for worms causes your character to become very sleepy very quickly. I posted a bug report about this, even though I'm not sure it's a bug. Digging is hard work (but it should probably be exertion and not sleep tiredness)!  This helps balance out the endless digging for worms. And yeah you can dig for worms in winter. If you have a pile of books to read (boredom/unhappiness reduction) you have no fear of dying in winter from starvation. This could use some tweaking for sure!

15 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Maybe a dumb question, but do you have the required number of sheet ropes? 1 for each floor? If you're on the second floor (by US terminology :) ) you need to have 2 sheet ropes.

Yes i have made sure i have all the required materials and plenty of sheet rope. Only on floor 2 and i can add a sheet rope to an existing window on the same floor. but any window frame i build i cannot add a sheet rope to. i was wondering is there more things i need to build onto the window frame? Thanks for the feed back

6 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Agreed it gives you a lot of points. 

I actually play an unemployed character with only negative trait (129 points).  I do that because I like the additional challenge and I also like to use it has an argument that regular survival with a balanced character is not too hard.

That being said needing to find Beta Blocker (a finite resource) to sleep is not fun.

Also if you truly intend to prevent sleeping at extreme panic level even when exhausted and want to keep the panic trait bringing you to the highest level of panic you might want to increase the trait bonus from Claustrophobic compare to Agoraphobic since it's in-game impact with the sleep system is now greater (since most of the quality sleep location [without carpentry] are indoor).

Edited by vanorfeadiel

2 minutes ago, NagashUD said:

Losing way more weight actually, way more than before, lose 3 kilos in 7 days.

Hmmm. So maybe there is some kind of issue or bug here for me? Is it because I'm using the 6 months later preset and not the regular survival mode? Or perhaps because I chose "skinny" as a trait?

16 minutes ago, Yolan said:

Hmmm. So maybe there is some kind of issue or bug here for me? Is it because I'm using the 6 months later preset and not the regular survival mode? Or perhaps because I chose "skinny" as a trait?

I think it's because you chose "skinny trait" , way harder to lose weight (i think RJ said it for the IWBUMS 34)

Darn. In that case choosing skinny for now seems unbalanced, as it actually protects you from losing weight.

Incidentally, I also noticed I was still able to grow stuff in my garden in late December. Is that normal? I hadn't got any snow yet as of the 1st of Jan. Seems a bit odd that my tomatoes were growing in such cold weather.

Anyhow, I'm trying again then, this time with the regular survival mode (hard core of course). I really want to see this nutrition system in action to get a feel for it. Maybe I'll set a rule for myself against living in the woods. Anybody know what kind of survival times people are racking up recently in survival mode? Still seems theoretically easy enough to live forever if you live by a river and fish. 

Skinny should be changed, so it's hard to gain weight. Generally, IRL, if you have a high metabolism, you can eat anything and everything and you won't gain weight. I know this because my metabolism is extremely high, and, while it's nice not having to worry about what I eat, it also means I'm more prone to weakness and dry heaving if I don't eat.