RELEASED: Build 35.26

RobertJohnson

46 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

About jar lids nope, it works like this and it make balancing easier :D

To me, this translates as "you can completely ignore pickling, you'll never use it".

So I have to find jars, and lids, sugar, and vinegar (all non-renewable resources) in order to make some vegetables last a little longer?  With foraging, fishing, trapping, and farming, there are far easier (and renewable) ways to stay fed all year long.

The world moves on; picking the corpse of manufacturing shouldn't be viable forever.  Canning lids are one-use in the US, so canning lids are one-use in PZ. Alternative lids didn't become popular until the late nineties / early aughts; European lids were heavily discouraged by the FDA and the canning community for decades.

Right now PZ's food systems are largely unbalanced when compared to one-another. Maybe at some point the game will be expanded to allow alternative methods of canning and preservation, or the fermentation of vinegar; maybe those other, currently abundant food sources, will be balanced later; maybe winter will impact food storage and growing (more).  Who knows.

I'd ignore canning for now.

1 hour ago, RobertJohnson said:

If we have a map, it'll be a fixed map like a tourist one and maybe you could write on it, that's all

May instead of "a" map, we could have small tourist-y town maps like the kind that aren't to scale, leave out many details, and focus on enlarged logos like "Spiffo's" here, gas station there, picnic area around here etc... could spawn in gas stations/convenience stores

Thanks for infos EG, didn't know about the US lids, for me food is not that bad balanced atm, i'm pretty happy about, esp with the new box of jars, i play with extremely rare ressources and i feel it correct, i already reported the freezer glitch, not fixed yet, as well the antique oven (i know why it takes longer to fix) but in general i'm happy about for the moment.

Edited by NagashUD

5 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Canning lids are one-use in the US; canning lids are one-use in PZ.

Modern canning lids are -- the ones that self-seal (i.e. have glue on them).  But the old-timey canning jars would lock on mechanically, and you could just boil them to sterilize.  Were they abundant in '93?  In Kentucky?  I'd think they'd be at least as popular as wood burning stoves.  If root cellars (basements) ever make it into the map, I can see already-canned food becoming an expected find.  Just my thoughts!

Just now, steiger said:

Modern canning lids are -- the ones that self-seal (i.e. have glue on them).  But the old-timey canning jars would lock on mechanically, and you could just boil them to sterilize.  Were they abundant in '93?  In Kentucky?  I'd think they'd be at least as popular as wood burning stoves.  If root cellars (basements) ever make it into the map, I can see already-canned food becoming an expected find.  Just my thoughts!

Read the rest of the post.

Ok, this is what the game windows said while playing You have one day, everytime the game crashed.

The executable file is using about 3GB of ram and kind of pauses with little intermitent sound....

so i have to close it and reload and it gives me about 40 minutes of normal game until it happends again

sometimes my stuff disapears...   maybe its a zombie numbers related thing.. 

errorzomboid.jpg

37 minutes ago, steiger said:

I read it, I responded.  Are you mad?

No, just a bit disappointed.

"Old-timey" canning lids are the European style mentioned in my post. Their use for canning had been discouraged for decades prior to 1993, as mentioned in my post. I doubt you'd find many. Even rarer than bail jars meant for dry storage, would be ones specifically meant for canning.

Wood stoves are prevalent because wood is abundant and easily attained in rural settings. I don't see how bail jars are comparable to them -- if anything the prevalence of exceedingly cheap, one-use lids and mason jars would be more analogous to wood stoves.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

No, just a bit disappointed.

Wood stoves are prevalent because wood is abundant and easily attained in rural settings. I don't see how bail jars are comparable to them -- if anything the prevalence of exceedingly cheap, one-use lids and mason jars would be more analogous to wood stoves.

Don't be disappointed!  Why do you have expectations at all?  That's silly.

Wood stoves are present not just because of the availability of wood, but because the rural setting is a result of a lack of development -- the rural Midwest and South have a lot of stuff laying around (and still being used) from the previous generation, whether that means rotting old barns, vintage tractors or Ball jars that stopped being manufactured in the 1920's.  That's all I'm getting at.  You can calm down, I'm not trying to say I'm right about any choices in the game, just thinking out loud.

2 hours ago, steiger said:

Don't be disappointed!  Why do you have expectations at all?  That's silly.

Wood stoves are present not just because of the availability of wood, but because the rural setting is a result of a lack of development -- the rural Midwest and South have a lot of stuff laying around (and still being used) from the previous generation, whether that means rotting old barns, vintage tractors or Ball jars that stopped being manufactured in the 1920's.  That's all I'm getting at.  You can calm down, I'm not trying to say I'm right about any choices in the game, just thinking out loud.

If you want to say there's an exceedingly rare chance to find antique bail jars from the 1920s, and that you could discover these in PZ, then by all means,  but I don't think they're common -- certainly not as common as wood stoves, even in rural settings. How many homes in PZ count as "rural?" Aside from maybe 4 houses, everything is clustered within modern-looking areas.

Mason jars with two-piece lids are everywhere in reality -- they have been since, what, the early 1900s? They're accepted as a safe way to preserve food, unlike bail jars or one-piece lids in the US and have been hawked as the only safe home canning jar  for most of their existance? PZ doesn't really need to represent something so rare as the bail jar, that most people in the 90s may not even have used for canning, as stated.

Though I'd like ad-hoc and alternative canning jars in the game, if they're going to be much rarer in comparison to the current jar, you're never going to find them. If they are added, then I suppose they should add the chance that you'll be poisoned from their contents, due to their lack of indicator of seal and of build-up of gas.

I was disappointed by your post because most of your reply was based off a single sentence; the rest of it seemed to ignore what I wrote. You're thinking out-loud, I'm responding.

I've spent about 200 hours playing this game and in the entire time I've only seen one jar lid. Maybe I'm just unlucky but it makes me wonder if anyone has ever successfully made a jar of leeks or eggplants. I'm probably not qualified to make an argument against their current rarity based on a game balancing perspective (my longest time survived was about 2 months) but damn if it's just no fun that I'll probably never be able to use jars and that the majority of my farming effort will get thrown away. 

So, I made a thing: 

3 hours ago, Gordonfleaman said:

I urge you to take notice of the way your last thoughts may come across in this video-game development post.

It's beginning to sound like a fruitless debate.

I didn't think it was a debate -- I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I'm a developer myself, of a different kind of software, so while I appreciate that suggestions can sound like demands, I'm trying to be clear I'm just throwing out ideas.  I am myself convinced that the people working on this game are thoughtful folks, and they seem to be soliciting people's opinions and ideas on a development forum.  I can understand if another user differs with my opinion on something, I'm just a little surprised at adversarial tones.

On 19/11/2016 at 4:20 PM, Aztib said:

There seems to be a bug with the new digital watches that spawn on zombies.

Sometimes a dead zombie with a watch will have the alarm already set, when the alarm goes off it will make the alarm noise. Picking up the watch and resetting the alarm will not make the noise go away. If you pick up the watch and move it somewhere else, the noise will continue at the spot where the zombie died. If you move the corpse, the noise will continue at the spot where the zombie died. Nothing you  can do in game seems to make that noise go away, if you leave the area and return the noise will play again. 

I has happened to me too, sometimes when you kill a zombie his corps disapear and is invisible, you have to go checking the flor for corpses that are there but you cant see them,  and that corps has a watch with the alarm on. 

46 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I was disappointed by your post because most of your reply was based off a single sentence; the rest of it seemed to ignore what I wrote. You're thinking out-loud, I'm responding.

The rest of what you wrote stands for itself as self-evident, so there was nothing to say.  The game is in alpha, officially, and of course balance (not to mention new features) might make canning more or less attractive in the future.

The single sentence was the only bit I to which I wanted to reply . . . isn't that ok?

9 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

If we have a map, it'll be a fixed map like a tourist one and maybe you could write on it, that's all, not automatic drawing, pointing where you are, etc...

About jar lids nope, it works like this and it make balancing easier :D

have i ever mentioned how much i love you guys? :P

Version 35.21.

i dont know why but i am near at 3,999 zombies killed and my rifles doesn't seem to shoot anymore

it makes the fire sound, but ammo is not getting used and no zombies are killed neither.

is this because de masive ammount of zombies ? 

also, the thing i mentioned before, about the game stoping and making intermitent noises, the screen said something about the fmod. 

I am near the 15 days in You have one day, i would love to have an improvement in this challenge mode, like giving you a character with decent skills for crafting and building stuff, i would love to have some aerosol bombs right now.

i have a the items to make a couple but i am not an engineer so i cant craft them...