RELEASED: Build 35.26

RobertJohnson

1 hour ago, Blasted_Taco said:

So maybe the way to fix this is not tweaking the cal and weight system, but instead, give this information to the player, give him an idea of how the system works, maybe add some tips of how to eat? 

I would like the idea of a Health & Care channel in the TV, but i doubt that most new players will change to that channel and think "huh i should follow those tips", but you need to give players an idea of how the system works instead of giving in.

Its a good idea to have those tips in skill books. Like traping book tells you how far away from safehouse you need to place a trap. Or the distance between traps. 1st aid books tell you how long you need to wear a splint, what to do with wounds infection etc.

2 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

You can move it around the screen tho, it's still a problem? :/

I can't. It's moving only right and left (on horizontal axis).

2 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

For map horde, erm, gonna see if I can find that post, but could be really tough as only a small portion of the map is loaded around you (zombies included)

Strange, but I couldn't find it in this topic and mondoids. :huh: But I remember picture in MP update with map inside admin panel in game, which shows zombies (green\or red pixels) on black background around admin, central cell looked like full loaded.

3 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Yeah, tbh resizing all those new admin UI could be a pita to do... You can move it around the screen tho, it's still a problem? :/

The UI for inventory (items) is strange, the column with the most content gets smaller that the column with "category".

have you consider asigning some minimium size or porcentage of size to each?

i mean, the category column only holds values like "container, item, food, ammo, weapon", only one short word value, but the other column holds a lot of long text values and the number of those items in parenthesis.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Arce said:

The UI for inventory (items) is strange, the column with the most content gets smaller that the column with "category".

have you consider asigning some minimium size or porcentage of size to each?

i mean, the category column only holds values like "container, item, food, ammo, weapon", only one short word value, but the other column holds a lot of long text values and the number of those items in parenthesis.

A column showing quantity would be a welcome addition!

11 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

About nutrition:

I've done tons of calcul and research to make it pretty close to the reality, and to me, it is.

But, I realised something, confirmed by my brother in law: he is basically someone who do only sport all day, he live for sport, if he does less than 7h sport per day, he feels bad, and jeeze i swear, he eats really a lot! He told me, to lose 2 kilos before a judo competition, he simply reduce a bit what he eats for 1 week and here we go.

And I think that's what's happening in PZ, even if I think all the calcul are correct, very few people are realising how much sport you're doing in a normal PZ day, running almost 24/7, sweating, jumping over fences, fear of zombies, chopping wood, crafting stuff... You're rarely just chilling, normal, it's a video game.

So yes, with this type of day, having what you think a normal meal isn't enough (stir fry? there's no oil/butter in it, only vegetables? it's kinda a low calories meal!), it's more like what my brother in law does when he wants to lose some weight.

So yeah, to me, it is correct, but because no one is really prepared to eat that much 'cause you're burning so much calories, I need to lower the calories lost, though, not to the point you need to eat like you spend a day in front of a computer (ask my waifu, i can eat only 1 thing per day and i won't lose weight :D)

I'll work on it, thing being, lot of people are complaining because they're losing some weight, and that's intended, i don't want this changed, i just want to see if you're able to maintain an average weight after a few weeks of survival.

Now, remember, calories ~= hunger reduction ~= hunger moodle (sensation of feeling full), eat a bag of chips, you'll feel a bit full for 15min, got tons of calories, but still gonna be hungry after a bit, eat a salad full of concumber and carrots, you'll feel full for longer, but got really small amount of calories.

About having buff with nutrition, it's already in, having a good amount of protein boost your strength xp faster, etc...

I agree with you RJ and I think the system is working well overall.

We had a player complaining that he gained too much weight and was now overweight. When asked what he has been eating he replied 'Mostly Chips'. Told him that maybe his diet shouldn't consist of only chips. Try a salad, here's some cabbage and a bowl.

Another character was complaining about losing too much weight. When asked what they were mostly eating, they said mostly salads of two units of cabbage and sometimes a tomato. Told him if he didn't want to lose weight then maybe he should start consuming some calories! His counter argument was that this is similar to what he often eats IRL and that he doesn't lose weight IRL. I responded, well you have just been sitting on your butt for the past 3 hours not moving IRL playing this game. What has your in game character been doing? Sprinting for about half the day, carrying heavy loads, climbing ropes, sawing logs, etc. A big difference there.

I think there is just a general disconnect between our characters and our real life and how much activity and calories we take in. I think the current system works great and is the most realistic I have ever seen in a game, BUT in terms of game-play it is difficult to determine the right balancing point for how many calories and other nutrition our characters need. Our only real gauge is a weight (which realistically we wouldn't be able to know) that lags our actions. If I eat 4 bags of chips, it might take half the day to notice any weight gain.

Maybe when eating the food our characters could gain the weight immediately (after all we did just absorb 100% of the foods weight) and then our weight would fall at a rate directly proportional to our calorie burn? This way we can more accurately gauge if we need to eat more/less?

1 hour ago, CaptKaspar said:

I think there is just a general disconnect between our characters and our real life and how much activity and calories we take in. I think the current system works great and is the most realistic I have ever seen in a game

I agree, this is most likely the big issue for most people here unfortunately.

Maybe a good solution would be to eventually take away the exact weight info from the player and make something like a scale or a nutritionist character be the only thing that can read it. That way just like in real life you slowly just gain the trait of being skinny or obese, one day realizing (when the trait shows up) that you've become that and need to make a change or suffer the side effects for your habits. Maybe even replace the weight info we have now with a roundabout description of your physical weight state, eventually leading up to states that warn you that you are at risk of becoming overweight to obese or skinny to frail.

I think hiding the exact weight from the player (so it's not available at all times like it is now) and adding some Spiffo type tips that pop up for players after they start messing with food stuff more (maybe have it be a big pop up when you wake up one morning after a day or two, so people notice it when it becomes more important [could be turned off by disabling Spiffo tips like you can now as well of course]), explaining that you need to eat enough to support yourself and certain things are better for you than others (with a few examples of good and bad diets for a busy survivor).

Sadly it just seems most people don't know much about diet and exercise these days but it's something those same people would need to figure out how to deal with in a zombie apocalypse and one more great way that Zomboid can end with "This is how you died."

Like I said, I love the nutrition system and think it works great but there are a few things, like more tips or getting hungry closer to three times a day instead of two, that I feel could possibly help people having trouble with in-game diet. Things like a few detailed Spiffo tips popping up could possibly help people better understand the system in relation to their eating habits/actions in-game :)

Edited by Kuren

There must be a way to tell the player "Hey, you are slipping, better get some healthy food" and make him realize that your character consumes a lot of calories trying to survive and the diet you have in real life wont work in the game, most of the people who post threads like: "I am losing health for no reason" are underweight because they kept eating chips, some other people dont even know there is a nutrition system in place.

this is in response to not being able to hop over 2nd story ledges with the "e" key or whatever key it is is there a way this could be put back in the game but with a different key assignment. I want to be able to jump out a window quickly and risk a busted leg if I'm in a room that a horde of zombies just busted the door down into

13 minutes ago, morninam said:

this is in response to not being able to hop over 2nd story ledges with the "e" key or whatever key it is is there a way this could be put back in the game but with a different key assignment. I want to be able to jump out a window quickly and risk a busted leg if I'm in a room that a horde of zombies just busted the door down into

This is why I'd rather it be something like two hard E presses or something to trigger the fatal jump. (One to hesitate, one to commit.)

14 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

This is why I'd rather it be something like two hard E presses or something to trigger the fatal jump. (One to hesitate, one to commit.)

No need for changing the game keys or buttons, if a zombie horde enters your room the panic should enable the character to take extreme actions, like jumping out or even with the window closed and get cut with glass, etc.

2 hours ago, Miguel Arce said:

No need for changing the game keys or buttons, if a zombie horde enters your room the panic should enable the character to take extreme actions, like jumping out or even with the window closed and get cut with glass, etc.

This is actually a very good idea.... in extreme panic you are also more likely to make mistakes, so allowing to jump over fences unsafely during times of panic would make a lot of sense :)

Edited by Colin

why is the wooden lance considered a blunt weapon?

i was usingy kitchen knife killing zombies, saw that i can craft a wooden lance so i went on an made one

i thought it would give me a nice feature like stabbing from the distance (one shot kill without getting so close to the zombies)

like in TWD when they kill zombies thru the holes of the prision's metal fencing but i just got a very bad blunt weapon.

Just now, Miguel Arce said:

why is the wooden lance considered a blunt weapon?

i was usingy kitchen knife killing zombies, saw that i can craft a wooden lance so i went on an made one

i thought it would give me a nice feature like stabbing from the distance (one shot kill without getting so close to the zombies)

like in TWD when they kill zombies thru the holes of the prision's metal fencing but i just got a very bad blunt weapon.

It's, probably, changed in animation build.

48 minutes ago, Keshash said:

It's, probably, changed in animation build.

I recall seeing the change of the wooden spear to being stabby in a youtube demo from a few months ago.  Might make it a little OP unless they break readily, given how easy it is to craft a wooden spear.

Ok, I just encountered this -- the zombie became a crawler, I backed up and swung, as there were other zombies approaching.  It looks like he got back up, lost his balance and is now forever standing atop a banana peel . . .  I can pound on him all day to make fountains of blood, doesn't seem to do anything else though.

pzombie4.png

On 10/3/2016 at 9:20 PM, Unghin said:

Bugreport:

1. Filling with rain.

Water don't filling placed pots, mugs, etc. Even after 3 rains no progress in water filling (remains field is still empty). Also some water storage show water as fresh and some no.

I found spawned pots and another water storages in my COOP - it's amazing! But one bunch was founded in warehouse. And no one have water inside, but show water as unfresh, yes. When I say 'no water inside' I mean that it's have functions as drink, fill in or fill down - but field of 'remains' is empty. May be I have bug with remains showing. I will ask my friend for remains field.

We are seeing these same occurrences on our COOP server. Only two of us play, no mods are used, and started the server during build 35.18..  Every time it rains SO MANY bowls, cups, buckets, and cooking pots are spawned around our area. It's getting WAY out of hand and I am starting to worry about the future of our server if this massive item spawn keeps up! (Is there a way to dispose of items somehow? Put them on zombie bodies and burn the bodies, maybe?)

I think it's neat to see a spawned item like that here and there (Makes us feel like we're not alone)...But 30+ bowls and 12 cups on the same tile during one rain shower is a bit much! They are named as if they have water in them (Ex. "Bowl of Water") but the progress bar stays completely empty. Even after months of game play and lots of rain. The same is true for items we drop on purpose to collect water. The progress bar just does not fill at all. Whatever tiny percentage of water it thinks it is holding upon dropping is considered "Fresh" also.

..I may have to start thinking about making a big "HELP" sign with bowls.. ^_^

29 minutes ago, Kitaelia said:

We are seeing these same occurrences on our COOP server. Only two of us play, no mods are used, and started the server during build 35.18..  Every time it rains SO MANY bowls, cups, buckets, and cooking pots are spawned around our area. It's getting WAY out of hand and I am starting to worry about the future of our server if this massive item spawn keeps up! (Is there a way to dispose of items somehow? Put them on zombie bodies and burn the bodies, maybe?)

I think it's neat to see a spawned item like that here and there (Makes us feel like we're not alone)...But 30+ bowls and 12 cups on the same tile during one rain shower is a bit much! They are named as if they have water in them (Ex. "Bowl of Water") but the progress bar stays completely empty. Even after months of game play and lots of rain. The same is true for items we drop on purpose to collect water. The progress bar just does not fill at all. Whatever tiny percentage of water it thinks it is holding upon dropping is considered "Fresh" also.

..I may have to start thinking about making a big "HELP" sign with bowls..

In SP I have no issues with rain water collecting, but no spawn of bowls and pots. In COOP - unable to collect rainwater, but abnormal spawn of water containers too :D. And I don't running COOP currently - because my friends don't want to play in PZ :(

Edited by Unghin