RELEASED: Build 35.26

RobertJohnson

3 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Aye, so, about blacksmithing/smithing/the stone furnace: right now it's disabled (smithing magazine shoudln't be there, I forgot about them, sorry.) as we talk with the team to see what's best to do, this may even never come, no idea, for now I focus on metal welding, but i'll let you know :)

Damn i was trying everything to find how that works since an hour ! :D probably welder job should know receipes at start ?

Yeah, welder know how to use the welding stuff, but again, for the blacksmith we'll see, I don't know yet if it's gonna be in the build in the end or not... (lot of ppl find it too "minecrafty" or "medieval" or "i wouldn't do that in a zombie apocalypse!")

11 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Yeah, welder know how to use the welding stuff, but again, for the blacksmith we'll see, I don't know yet if it's gonna be in the build in the end or not... (lot of ppl find it too "minecrafty" or "medieval" or "i wouldn't do that in a zombie apocalypse!")

To be honest i think barricades and walls in metal are a good ideas, but items as knifes axes etc require lots of skill  and time without machines; so after it depends of the community what they think about indeed; but metal working in survival i think more about protection things, maybe metal traps with pointy tubes, car protection (when PZ will have cars !! ) etc
you probably got some before, but here how to make a knife , you can see it needs sander, anvil, blacksmith hammer etc :

Edited by NagashUD

23 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Metal working ie. making knife blades, axe heads, spear heads, arrow heads from scrap metal - yes, please

Metal melting, ingots, stone furnaces (incoming molten spoons walls and sheet metal) - please no

4 minutes ago, Geras said:

Metal working ie. making knife blades, axe heads, spear heads, arrow heads from scrap metal - yes, please

Metal melting, ingots, stone furnaces (incoming molten spoons walls and sheet metal) - please no

Well we can use furnace just to melt metal a bit before turning them o axe heads, arrow heads etc. 

So furnace -> yes

Ignots -> no

2 minutes ago, Zorak said:

Well we can use furnace just to melt metal a bit before turning them o axe heads, arrow heads etc. 

So furnace -> yes

Ignots -> no

That's why a specified "stone furnace" as a 'please no' :) Metal barrel furnace on the other hand (or different post-apo designs)...

Edited by Geras

40 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Why doesn't smithing just become an option for sandbox for now? That way some people can play with it, and offer suggestions for the current system, and those who don't want it can play without it.

2 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Maybe if you add a metalworking factory construction on the map and special furnace inside you can solve that. ;)

Bugs, doubts & suggestions.

-When you set the alarm clock, and arrives at the set time, the game crashes.

-Is there a level 3 of metal walls? Wooden walls reach level 3, but the metal walls only reach level 2.

-Only can we upgrade walls and windows? Rain collector barrels and other stuff are not possible?

-Is very frustrating to click on a frame to build (it fails a lot).

-If you put logs inside the metal drum, and then pick up the metal drum, appears duplicated in our inventory (dupe exploit).

-When raining the metal drum doesn't show correctly the water info.

-When you hit metal barricades, sounds as wooden barricades.

I think the disassemble option needs a overhaul.
If you disassemble a door (for example) with Lv10 carpentry, you obtain small amount of materials (only 2 hinges!)

It should drop more amount of material as more higher level we have.

I am having some issues with iwbums 35:

The game hangs while loading. Here's a screen of the endless loop.

http://imgur.com/a/ZMpxy

This happens for me in both MP when trying to host my server and when launching a brand new SP game.

However, I was able to play after creating a brand new SP game, quitting after the game gets hung (with above error), then re-launching and choosing 'Continue'.

I have opted out of IWBUMS and back into it to make sure that it updated properly. All files were validated successfully.

How about making the welding and blacksmithing in the same metalworking skill.

Just make blacksmithing, furnance etc an end game stuff. Level 7-8 to start would hold up a lot of players from spamming makeshift axes etc from the start.

In The Walking Dead they have blacksmiths but they are like 3-4 years after the apocalypse. After all that time when all the fuel is gone we would turn to medieval in some way -> horses, blacksmithing, bows.