Long-term surviving changes appearance

Keshash

Unless zombie-virus has some radiation-like nature, your character's hair would probably grow. I would love to see something, that works like current erosion system for characters' appearance. Like after a year of surviving without haircut you would look like badass Robinson survivor. 

It would add a functions to scissors, mirrors and such. Many games had an option to change your character after you created him (Even if it's an absurd decision, like instantly add long dreads to the bald man). And zombies love long hair, Carl Clementine! Some debuff, like reducing needed amout of zeds for grabbing would be fair. 

Also, a tan. In summer, if you work a long time outside, your skin would get darker. And, slowly get brighter in winter.

All those little details add immersion to the game, that is needed so much sometimes.

I definitely love this, however like erosion I would like to see this optional in sandbox settings simply because micromanaging for something mostly cosmetic is something I could see people not wanting to do.

Regardless, it would still be great to see this become something we can actually see ingame to show the passing of time. As long as we can "fix" any changes (because there are people including me that are totally uptight about the outward appearance of everything). It also adds another realistic factor to the game I'm sure most people can appreciate, it would definitely give some development to the later-game stage when our survivors can finally calm down and get their bangs out of their eyes.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I think the optional use of scissors or maybe clippers that you only find in barber shops to open an appearance UI, like the barber you'd find in other RPGs, would be more suitable. This way, for RP purposes, one could alter their appearance manually to make themselves more grizzled looking. Best of both worlds, doesn't require some left-nostril-hair-growth algorithm, and no opt out required. Like many other features, this is purely optional, but it's there if you want it. I don't support the "Witcher 3" beard growth, but long term survivors still might want a new look once in a while, especially with the vast changes in character appearance en route.

EDIT: as for tans, I don't see this ever happening. I've only ever seen it in Animal Crossing lol, and even there it seemed like someone wasted a lot of time implementing it. This is something I'd want to decide right at the beginning.

Edited by critical jim

9 hours ago, Keshash said:

(...)

And zombies love long hair, Carl Clementine! Some debuff, like reducing needed amout of zeds for grabbing would be fair. 

(...)

All those little details add immersion to the game, that is needed so much sometimes.

Love that twist on long hair (and/or long beard).  As long as the possibility of cutting roughly my hair with scissors is included, I'm totaly ok with the debuff suggested.  Another player or NPC could probably do a better cut :)

Once NPC are implemented, it could had a factor to the list of things that affect other's behavior toward you (although it's crossing the line for personal hygiene).

I like the idea of being able to modify your hair with scissors and a mirror - or maybe even with boxes of hair dye and water. Purely cosmetic fooling around, but it would be fun for RPs. In multiplayer I imagine it could be fun screwing with people by changing your appearance and not getting too close. :P Of course you risk getting shot. 

Hygiene in general won't appear in the game because it takes too much micromanaging. With this in mind, growing hair would work well since you wouldn't have to cut it so often, but I'm not too sure about facial hair on male characters. Keeping your char clean shaven would be bit of a chore, though that might just add some immersion. As long as it doesn't influence the gameplay too much...

Edited by Rass

It doesn't seem worth it to code progressive hair growth into the game automatically. That's another time based ping for nothing but aesthetics, and it would be kinda clunky since there are so few hairstyles to begin with. I mean for beards, maybe, but even then it has so little impact on anything it doesn't seem worth the devs time to do it.

UR A ... (Goes back up to read), Okay I got it. UR A LONG-TERM SURVIVING CHANGES APPEARANCES!!!

Joking, of course ;) | Anyways, I just LOVE this idea to bits but as @Scyoni Said (I don't use quotes cause I'm a rebel like that.) it would mean adding new hairstyles to the game for this, still people like realism, and this would be something well.... Realistic, but as @Kim Jong Un (Nice name btw) Said I would rather see it as a setting, then it always on, all the time. :D