Multiplayer Sleep Idea...

apelikejay

Just an idea regarding multiplayer sleep... I know you guys are working on it and have ideas and whatever you come up with should be good... however, it occurred to me tonight that a way of handling sleep in multiplayer could be to simply make sleep optional but reward people who do sleep with a bonus to strength and fitness or heck, everything... like a 50% bonus to reading, learning, crafting, power in hitting, swing speed, whatever... anything... everything... 50% bonus, 2 hour bonus for each 1 hour slept... sleep for 8 hours, the next 16 hours have the bonus... cap it at 16 hours for the bonus and you could even require a minimum of 2 hours sleep to activate the bonus... a system like this would work well for me.

Certainly don't punish the players that don't want to sit and watch a screen while they sleep... simply reward the ones that do. Just an idea...

Considering the way sleep accelerates the clock I think I would prefer the opposite route. Giving people who don't sleep serious penalties to encourage them to join the others and skip the time-frame instead of making people wait around staring at the screen would be more effective and less detrimental to the rest of the game mechanics.

That said, per-server options could satisfy multiple parties.

It could actualy be both at the same time.  Nothing work better then a stick dipped in honey ;)

Sleep deprivation should yield increased penalties over time (let me know if I miss anything, I'll update accordingly) :

• Reduced awareness;
  • Reduced accuracy;
  • Reduced speed (including any timed actions, including reading);
  • Reduced strenght;
  • Reduced agility (sneaking, nimble, lightfoot... maybe even sprinting);
  • Reduced resistance to exhertion (or increased stamina loss);
  • Reduced Healing;
  • Reduced resistance to diseases;
  • Reduced XP gain (reflecting loss of cognitive function);
  • Reduced sex drive (oh... wait, that's a big no, right?)
  • Increased appetite;
  • Increased anxiety/panic rate;
  • Irritability (possible factor for dealing with NPC);
  • Up to possible mental illness;

At the same time, all of those could be turned around temporarily after restfull sleep.  I beleive that the bonus should be more moderate then the penalties and they should not last for a full day.  Maybe something like 2,5%/hour slept after you loose any sleep debuff and decreasing by the same amount every 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting while sleeping might be too boring, and if I want a 16 hour bonus I might as well fall asleep in real life.

Alt + tabbing out of the game and doing something else would make people an easy target for raids up to the point where the bonus isn't even worth it.

Besides, you wouldn't even need the bonus if you spend the time you would spend sleeping in doing actual activity.