Die in Style

nasKo

108600_screenshots_20160708012714_1-712x

Hey Mondoideers! (Yes, that’s Mondoid, not Monoid!)

One big factor we’re wanting to nail with the clothing update is variety and customization. With the new overlay system it allows us to do some funky stuff to vastly increase the variety in clothing with little cost.

(For my special someone<3:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqcrgFxrR8

Bear in mind that the logos shown are temporary and just present for a lowly art challenged programmer to test the system, and we’ll likely be getting less Spiffo / TIS / Romain-centric logos in the final version. Also some of the colours picked by the system are a little clashy at the moment as the system hasn’t had colour-complementary fashion sense programmed into its synapses.

With just a few templates at present that will no doubt expand before release, we can already composite them together in different combinations to allow for a multitude of designs and patterns for t-shirts, tracksuits, coats or any other item of clothing. Along with decal logos and the like, of which one thing we’d love to do is allow these textures to be transmitted to servers in multiplayer games, allowing players to take their own clothing designs with their characters to add some extra identity (and also give people some unique things to pick up off their dead corpses, as well as making their zombie selves more instantly identifiable in the event of them turning). However it’s unlikely that this feature would make it into the initial version since we already have plenty on our plate getting the new animation system and clothing update ready for launch.

Meanwhile, RJ has been finishing off the welding system within the metalworking overhaul, although the smelting aspect of the metalworking build is still getting a lot of discussion and it’s not clear if the smelting will make it into the next version, as the system is constantly under debate and scrutiny from the team to make sure we avoid the game becoming too unrealistic and ‘Minecrafty’–which was something a lot of our community were concerned about previously, and this is a concern we take seriously.

In addition to the welding, RJ has been working on new sleeping events and balances detailed in previous Mondoids, and it is now sat in closed testing alongside Tim and Mash’s awesome new jumbo trees and numerous other fixes and balances. Nutrition has also been changed a bit, specifically balancing to have a more linear progression of the weight gain/loss instead of steps depending on your weight trait (obese, skinny etc) which should help balance out the system to the point that it could be activated for Survival mode. We’re getting feedback from a few testers and fixing any of the more serious issues that crop up before it could potentially see the wider world outside in IWBUMs.

Once released to IWBUMs it will likely remain in there for a while until animation update is ready to join the features already there, or if it feels stable soon after we’ll push it out to everyone and start a new IWBUMs for the anims. Whichever comes first.

Elsewhere in Zomboidland, Turbo is working on a catch all system for handling multimedia recordings for stuff like hi-fis, videos, arcades, tape recorders and possibly computers. This will be able to tie into the overhaul he’s currently doing to the entertainment and boredom systems in the game, as well as giving us a lot of options to extend the lore in the game, and plenty of fun opportunities for players in multiplayer to leave or transmit looped recordings for others to find. This is something we hope to integrate into the VOIP system when that lands, but of course lots of consideration will be needed into how the data from this will be managed and how much of a strain this could pose to servers, so we’ll need to see where we stand on that when the time comes.

This week’s featured image by Легенда on that there Steam. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right here! Okay thanks bye!

Yay, really love new hairstyles and t-shirts! Do they will be pre-determined or will the game use "Ze Fashion system" to create mixes of colors and patterns?

WEEEEEEEEE!!! THIS. IS. SO. AWESOME!!!!. sorry I have to hide my demons.

A lot of test and release talk in the Mondoid, though.

Just a thought, but could be possible that certain clothing triggers certain responses in game? For example, a person wearing camouflage clothing could have a higher sneak bonus when near trees. Someone wearing firefighter clothes is less affected by fire. Wearing dark clothing at night improves stealth. This could be like a reward for players dressing strategically. On the other side, this all looks awesome and I can't wait to see it!

1 minute ago, Strats said:

Just a thought, but could be possible that certain clothing triggers certain responses in game? For example, a person wearing camouflage clothing could have a higher sneak bonus when near trees. Someone wearing firefighter clothes is less affected by fire. Wearing dark clothing at night improves stealth. This could be like a reward for players dressing strategically. On the other side, this all looks awesome and I can't wait to see it!

Good idea ! What bonus would you add to the T-shirt above your post ?

Though I'm personally happy that smelting is under scrutiny, I would still like to propose that the work already done on this area will be released in some way or another. Perhaps like (the basis for) a mod or something? I mean, I truly appreciate the fact that you (as in the devs) are keeping true to the idea of realism, but what's not to love about the occasional going overboard pulp-style?

Like that metal spiked club that's introduced in the first (?) episode of Z - Nation? I believe that was also made by some smelter. It kicks ass :-) !

ZBat.png678ea3f5-4bc3-4229-9086-0266c15a

"but what's not to love about the occasional going overboard pulp-style?"

Im a fan of the Dead Rising games for this reason, it would be great to see more random 'weapons' in PZ, unlucky enough to spawn in a house without even a kitchen knife? the wooden chair would be good for a few swings, or even just a couple of PZ pushes.

Edited by NebNebber

23 hours ago, nasKo said:

it’s not clear if the smelting will make it into the next version.

Oh, crumbs! I for one was very much looking forward to smelting. Mainly because I want to make shedloads of nails. I understand that you want to keep it realistic and thumbs up for that, but I'd really really appreciate if the smelting could be there, even if it's just a switchable sandbox option for those of us with a blocky Minecrafty heart beating in our chests. ;)

Edited by thatGuyWhatsHisNameUm
typo

Ooo the clothing variations look pretty sweet! I do have a few questions about them though:

• Are the patterns only logos, or can a whole shirt be retextured?
  • Is it only shirts, or can we get variable pants/shoes too?
  • Are you planning on teaching it color coordination or are we going to accept that a lot of people have terrible fashion sense? (Because they do - and it's kind of fun)
  • If the 'image sharing' thing is ever implemented can we have a way of blocking certain designs so we don't have to deal with the inevitable slew of nude women's clothes and hi-la-ri-ous dick pic shirts?

6 hours ago, Scyoni said:

Are you planning on teaching it color coordination or are we going to accept that a lot of people have terrible fashion sense?

On 18.07.2016 at 9:15 PM, nasKo said:

Some of the colours picked by the system are a little clashy at the moment as the system hasn’t had colour-complementary fashion sense programmed into its synapses.

Keshash and CO - short and simple

On 19.07.2016 at 8:35 PM, thatGuyWhatsHisNameUm said:

I understand that you want to keep it realistic

You just cant smelt steel without a huge "Martin" furnace. The primitive bloomery is  for smelting iron from its oxides.

Although implementing the art of smithing - with all its anvills,  air pumps, selfmade flower pot furnaces - this could be hillarious!

But in this case the game needs more iron things as base materials, like waterpipes, car details, broken instruments, metal furniture, etc.

On 7/20/2016 at 5:21 PM, Scyoni said:

That's what I was asking about. Are they going to "fix" it or are we going to keep the eclectic fashion sense? :P

I believe it will be using a colour-based system before it's released to the public, as it was implied in that quote with "... at the moment".