Suggestion for RJ's sleeping system rework

Keshash

Inspired by sleeping in the backyard and getting bitten.

So, while I was dreaming about future sleeping nightmares :shock:, I thought about a few more problems to add. Sleep location's quality.

• Grass/dirt/sand/road. Worst place. Would give you moderate sleeping problem. +5 to the Science skill, if it's under the apple tree.
  • In the house on the floor. Slightly better than the last one.
  • Chairs. Mediocre.
  • On the carpet. Credits to the Kuren, King Kitteh and makkenhoff
  • Camp-cot, recliner, sleeping bag. Could be transportable. Way better than the previous.
  • Actual bed or couch. Best solution. Bonus points, if there are no zombies near the door.

#RJ_ftw

Edited by Keshash

While I'm excited for the sleep quality stuff, I do have to say that I would rather sleep on a floor (especially if it was carpeted) than I would in a chair. It would have to be a pretty big comfy chair to beat being able to sprawl out on the floor, for me at least lol

The worst nights of "sleep" I get in real life are when I pass out in my chair watching TV. Always a sore morning (or mid-night) compared to sleeping on a nice big floor where I can stretch out :P

I think I could easily sleep on a floor as long as I had something to rest my head on. A pillow and blanket would be nice, but I could settle for no blanket and using a bag instead of the pillow.

I think coldness should be taken into account too. Sleeping on the ground will make you cold (less so if it's carpeted), but having separation through one of those raised camping beds or just sleeping in a regular chair or bed should help.

So basically, additional sleep modifiers could be: Having a pillow and blanket, being raised from the floor.

Ditto on the floor sleeping. Can't explain it, but I haven't slept in a real bed very often in maybe the last 15 years really. I can't really explain why, other than to say when I do sleep, it is on the floor, or the couch. I'm not against using pillows though, my tendency towards using two thin pillows often confuses people as I sleep on the floor which is certainly not comfortable from their perspective. Perhaps it is because I don't sleep often (chronic insomnia) or long enough for the floor to bother me like it would someone whom sleeps 10 hours a day. 

9 hours ago, makkenhoff said:

Ditto on the floor sleeping. Can't explain it, but I haven't slept in a real bed very often in maybe the last 15 years really. I can't really explain why, other than to say when I do sleep, it is on the floor, or the couch. I'm not against using pillows though, my tendency towards using two thin pillows often confuses people as I sleep on the floor which is certainly not comfortable from their perspective. Perhaps it is because I don't sleep often (chronic insomnia) or long enough for the floor to bother me like it would someone whom sleeps 10 hours a day. 

I was afraid to admit it but I also sleep on the floor more often than my bed (most nights for the last 5 years if I'm entirely honest) lol. Not sure why but it was something I did often, even when I was younger. I'm not opposed to a bed and certainly find it more comfortable (as I'll sleep in my girlfriend's bed and love it lol) but I do really like a carpeted floor and find it quite comfy as well :P

14 hours ago, Keshash said:

Sleep location's quality

Oh yeah, we need some fixing here. My current character had to drag a bar stool (bar stool, Carl!) through the woods to sleep on it. I think a bar stool is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture to sleep. 

And another oddity is 0 places to sleep in shops, even big ones. There must be some chairs there.

This is the same thing as a can opener. You really do not need it to open a can (but if you have one - good for you), and you do not need furniture to sleep. Its surviving game, not some gay hedonist simulator.  BTW will post a suggestion about this, thanks for an idea.

11 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

less so if it's carpeted

That would be 1 more reason to steal all the carpets and bring them to the base.

11 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Sleeping on the ground will make you cold

And, yes, I did that sometimes, in summer, when it's super hot (+38 C in the shadow at the day), and it did cooled me down. But there is no hot summers in the PZ. Usually, if you take off your shirt or boots - you're fine.

Edited by Keshash

I think we should have an order like this for best places to sleep:

Bed > 2 seat couch > 1 seat couch > carpet floor and pillow > wood floor and pillow > chair > ceramic or cement floor and pillow > earth

And i think it'll be nice to need something to sleep in the floor, maybe just the pillow or maybe a pillow and a sheet, just to make it less easy to take a nap everywhere, what do you think?

4 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

Its surviving game, not some gay hedonist simulator. 

Keep it lovely; this is teetering on the edge. While gay literally means happy and hedonists seek the greatest pleasure/happiness possible, I could see how some people might interpret this comment differently than a 'happy pleasure seeking' simulator.

8 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Keep it lovely; this is teetering on the edge. While gay literally means happy and hedonists seek the greatest pleasure/happiness possible, I could see how some people might interpret this comment differently than a 'happy pleasure seeking' simulator.

Just report it and move on. Leave the telling-people-off to the mods please. 

We could think about comfortable / uncomfortable clothes, too... There are reasons why most people sleep in bedclothes or without clothes - and if the clothes you wear have beneficial effects at some point, this would make things a bit more difficult. Same with wearing a backpack to bed. It's not exactly conducive to good sleep, but the tradeoff of wearing it is ease of getting up and running away, right?

Comfy:

• Bedclothes
  • sweatpants
  • sweatshirt
  • tshirt
  • skirt
  • socks

Uncomfortable:

• Jeans
  • dress pants / khaki's 
  • button up shirts / blouses
  • wearing a backpack to bed
  • shoes

Takes me back to my low budget school days (that may or may not have ended yet). Reminding me of which.... Bath tub could be a terrible (yet entirely possible) alternative. Could give sleeping problems as well, but I know it's not outlandish (source: me).