Sheet ropes fail (falling/breaking) - redux

MyTJ

Redux

I've done a similar suggestion a while back and it seems to have been deleted, probably from lack of activity.  It was then limited to falling from sheet ropes.  I've since saw a discussion on steam about sheet ropes breaking.  I've also climbed a sheet rope while carrying 3 fridges (1 primary, 1 secondary, 1 in inventory)... so I think it's time to get this out there again.

From the past to the present

Initialy, there was some complaints about the randomness of possible injury that made that suggestion unpopular.  Although there may be a random part to it, most of this suggestion is about common sense and realism.  It's not normal that one can climb a rope while carrying a fridge in his right and left hand... and another in his pockets.  Climbing a rope while carrying a single fridge should be a feat in itself, one where you pray to whatever god you worship (or all of them) that the rope does not break, that you don't fall or even that you don't drop that fridge and break it.

It's not all about randomness

Things like weight/bulkiness (simplified into weight units for convenience), having items equiped sencondary/primary, skills (nimble, strength, maybe others), rope strength (I've made a suggesion about marinas and possible high grade ropes too... but the regular rope vs sheet rope is a start), and lastly luck should affect the outcome of climbing a rope.

So what would it look like in game?

Breaking

If you try to climb with lot of weight (including yourself... another drawback of being overweight) or if the rope is weak, it should have a high chance of breaking.  Low to moderate weight should have none to low chance of breaking.

Falling or other form of fails

If you try to climb a rope with low skills, high weight or item equiped in hands, there should be a high chance of falling resulting in injury.  There should also be a chance that you drop said equiped items (or even some inventory).  While this is not so bad for simple items like weapons, clothes, etc... delicate items (electronics, furniture, etc) or obvious breakables (glass containers) would have a high chance of breaking with a single story drop (and near certainty for higher drops).

But it could be done, with or without some degree of risk

Now, if your smart about it and carry minimal weight (say... only what you have in a big hicking bag on your back) and have normal strength... it should be near automatic success.  A few extra point in nimble would guarantee the success and/or allow more risky moves.

Wait, what about moodles?

Yes, moodles like exertion or fatigue could have an adverse effect to, but only on the falling part.  Same would go for drunkedness.

... and what about traits?

Well, some of them have direct effect already (character weight, strength).  But others like clumsy/agile could come into play as well in the falling part.

Exemples that where given a while back for unfun RNG

Hitting your thumb with a hammer, sawing yourself while using a saw or even cutting yourself with a knife.  Those are rarer occurrences in normal life, assuming the person is not extremely tired or intoxicated (or clumsy). I've used all of the above a lot of time in my life and count only a few minor cuts and one broken finger (working below material to try to remove it without breaking it).  Assuming I'm average, for simplification purposes those things have no chance of happening.  Now I've never been able to actualy climb a rope... so I don't know how I'd do that while carrying 3 fridges (I've never carried 3 fridges either...).

My character must be Chuck Norris

I've seen or been one out of two guys struggling to move a fridge (one) up stairs without a dolly.  I don't think I could carry one up a rope... I don't think anyone could... well, except Chuck Norris of course ;).

Edited by MyTJ

8 hours ago, MyTJ said:

It's not all about randomness

Definitely a "Yup" from me! Imo, it wouldn't be too complicated, if it'd use something like:

Rope's max capacity - (Characters weight + weight of the main inventory + weight of items in character's hands + Number based on the moodles) = x 

If x ≥ 0, then rope climbing will be successful. 

If x < 0, then character will fall from the rope and rope will be dropped on the ground near the window.

And If character is too drunk, exerted, suffers severe pain or has highest sleep moodle chance of falling without pulling out the rope will increase. Also, maybe, character that has highest exertion moodle (walk only), agony or being grabbed by zombie couldn't climb at all. 

Edited by Keshash

23 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

Why not just add a hp bar to the sheet rope? It would take the RNG out of it and add the "if you're a careless player..."

On the flip side of that, it seems tedious.

That just answer the breaking part.  The not being able to climb (thank you Keshash for that part) or falling down remain.

Edited by MyTJ

16 hours ago, Keshash said:

Definitely a "Yup" from me! Imo, it wouldn't be too complicated, if it'd use something like:

Rope's max capacity - (Characters weight + weight of the main inventory + weight of items in character's hands + Number based on the moodles) = x 

If x ≥ 0, then rope climbing will be successful. 

If x < 0, then character will fall from the rope and rope will be dropped on the ground near the window.

And If character is too drunk, exerted, suffers severe pain or has highest sleep moodle chance of falling without pulling out the rope will increase. Also, maybe, character that has highest exertion moodle (walk only), agony or being grabbed by zombie couldn't climb at all. 

The equation could very well be something like that, that balance positive chance (base chance, skill, etc) against detrimental chances.  Enough positives and not a lot of négatives would equal in success, otherwise your taking chances.

23 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

Why not just add a hp bar to the sheet rope? It would take the RNG out of it and add the "if you're a careless player..."

On the flip side of that, it seems tedious.

That would make stairs/ground floor a viable option.  Have an access that you can use with no loot to a personal sleeping place vs stairs (or even ground floor) to a storage area.

Some low loot areas like farm spot could still be on roofs and work with sheet ropes.  But all those propane tanks and gas tanks would need to be stored in a more accessible location.

Actually, more "vertical climbing stuff" would be great. ^_^ I'd like to see a few of them.

• Sheet rope. Worst one. Lowest weight capacity, bigger chance of breaking. 
  • Normal rope (that one used make log stacks). Mediocre choice. 
  • Moveable ladder (like on GOGOblin's picture). Bigger capacity, lower chance of falling, can (not?) be repaired, if breaks. The difference, that zombies can throw over it, it has lower climbing requirements and bigger weight (so you can't scavenge with a ladder in your pocket).
  • Fixed ladder. I've saw that on some buildings' roof, like school in West Point, but it doesn't work currently. Lowest chance of breaking (Highest if you're a film protagonist :P). Cannot be removed without instruments.

That's just what I think would add more diversity. 

5 hours ago, Keshash said:

Fixed ladder. I've saw that on some buildings' roof, like school in West Point, but it doesn't work currently. Lowest chance of breaking (Highest if you're a film protagonist :P). Cannot be removed without instruments.

Use screws to fix in the new location will be nice.

5 hours ago, GOGOblin said:

You forgot to mention a proper rope ladder with planks and additional ropes to hang on.

How about being able to make one with 2 ropes and some sturdy sticks?

Something like this one will be great.

wooden_rope_ladder.jpg

Edited by JonJon
Add image

I'd really love the sheetrope to be one day regulated to the "oh shit" category instead of the "go-to for easy access and base migration."

We have actual rope in the  game, being dependent on sheets is no longer a necessity, as it was in the old days. Real ladders would also be great.