Regarding extra inventory items and items carried in bulk

EmoticonD

Few things I'd like to give some criticism on.

Regarding backpacks

-Would it be possible to add an extra equip slot next to the primary and secondary weapon slots indicating what backpack you have equipped on the back slot?

-Would it be possible to add an option to drag a specific amount between inventories? (ex: 5 bullets / 2 bandages)

Regarding stacked items such as cigarettes and ammunition

-Typically a carton of cigarettes are bundled 20 per package.  Instead of having each individual cigarette being dragged through inventories would it be possible to instead just have cigarettes dragged by 20 each?  Since you'll typically be moving the entire carton instead of just pulling a cigarette out of a carton and placing it in a backpack for example.

-Instead of dragging each individual bullet through inventories would it be possible to add an option to grab three(?) or so so bullets when dragging ammunition between inventories?  The reason is if I were to be sorting through a backpack I'd probably be grabbing a handful instead of wasting energy grabbing one bullet at a time.

-Overall for items in bulk instead of dragging the entire quantity of items I'd like the option to select the amount you would like to transfer between inventories.

Sorry if this is a dupe post.  To clarify I'm on the steam and not desura version so if this has already happened my bad.

Also just curious how did the devs exactly conclude what drinking bleach would do?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920147204991863497/BAD2C3AB918B799CA34D50F4E07FA01C8A05F54C/

This doesn't make any sense.

Also just curious how did the devs exactly conclude what drinking bleach would do?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920147204991863497/BAD2C3AB918B799CA34D50F4E07FA01C8A05F54C/

This doesn't make any sense.

Regarding the bleach, you didn't try it, did you? (try it and you'll see what the Devs did there)

And I totally agree with your last line, much of your post made little to no sense whatsoever ;)

This made a reasonable amount of sense.

There's not much to explain.  A pack of cigarettes are usually in packs of 20.  When you move cigs between inventories you move one at a time instead of what would be considered a pack.  The problem with this is you're not given the option (at least as far as I've noticed) to only move a specific amount.  You move the entire stack regardless.  The same thing happens with other items that stack.

Also I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from snide remarks, thanks.

There's not much to explain.  A pack of cigarettes are usually in packs of 20.  When you move cigs between inventories you move one at a time instead of what would be considered a pack.  The problem with this is you're not given the option (at least as far as I've noticed) to only move a specific amount.  You move the entire stack regardless.  The same thing happens with other items that stack.

Also I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from snide remarks, thanks.

Sorry, it was just an odd way to end your post, and I couldn't resist :P

I agree with you that being able to move a selective amount between inventories, but I'm not so sure that there's a 'simple and elegant' way to do so (besides having buttons with common amounts - like move 5, move 10, move 25).

And then, moving individual cigarettes - I'm not sure it would make a huge difference, because likely (to keep the balance and flow with other stacked objects) moving a pack of 20 would take 20x longer than moving a single one, therefore no difference being made except that it is moving a lump amount. You could argue that perhaps a pack of 20 should take something like 5x longer than a single one (rather than 20x), but that's probably more of the domain of a mod, rather than the vanilla game...

Chances are regardless of moving one cigarette or the entire pack you're only going to use one.  At the moment when moving the cigarettes you move the entire pack into your main inventory, use a cigarette, and move it back to your extra inventory.  Being able to either move them as one entire unit or move one separate cigarette would be far less annoying.  The same could apply for other stacked items but other stacked items should be handled differently.  Overall it would make more sense to move cigarettes in quantities of 20.  I don't see there being a balance issue considering it's unlikely you're going to use many cigs sense there is a -happiness effect on them.

Also I have no idea what's going on with the edit / quote button.

If you hit the small arrow to the left of the cigarettes, you'll get a dropdown menu listing each on individually. From there, you can shift+click to choose how many you want and move exactly how many you're looking for!

I completely agree with the backpack slot, even though it's somewhat covered by the picture on the right of your inventory, it would be nice to have it easily visible.

If you hit the small arrow to the left of the cigarettes, you'll get a dropdown menu listing each on individually. From there, you can shift+click to choose how many you want and move exactly how many you're looking for!

I completely agree with the backpack slot, even though it's somewhat covered by the picture on the right of your inventory, it would be nice to have it easily visible.

If that's the case then it's not very visible / noticeable.  Is this on the steam version or just the desura version?

If that's the case then it's not very visible / noticeable.  Is this on the steam version or just the desura version?

If I remember rightly, it's been in every build for the last few months (unless it's been recently removed for whatever reason).

Errr ya I'll give it a shot after work- don't let me forget. If I haven't replied in two hours (or by the next time you're on) send me a PM.

To clarify though it's just a white arrow?  You can't right click at all for the option?  You can only click the white arrow for the option to move specific amounts of items?

Just making sure but if you can't I'll check in about an hour when I get time.  Thanks though.

I couldn't see it until I tried playing that example mod then reverting back to the original game.  To clarify it's a purple arrow although it's still not obvious as to what it does.  Being able to right click on items would be a lot more convenient as well.

While I'm complaining is there any plans to support the scrollwheel on the mouse?  Sometimes the UI doesn't work when selecting my traits and I can't use scroll to well.. scroll.

• 4 weeks later...
Regarding stacked items such as cigarettes and ammunition

-Typically a carton of cigarettes are bundled 20 per package.  Instead of having each individual cigarette being dragged through inventories would it be possible to instead just have cigarettes dragged by 20 each?  Since you'll typically be moving the entire carton instead of just pulling a cigarette out of a carton and placing it in a backpack for example.

10 packs in a carton and normally 20 cigarettes per pack..

Right a pack of smokes is 20. What the op was getting at why would i move 20 smokes one by one when i could just grab the pack and move all 20 at the same time. I am from the us and i can count on zero fingers how many times i have seen people store smokes outside of a pack or cigarette case.  Same thing with nails and bullets 99.9% of the time they are stored in the box they came in.

I am sure this is on the long to do list so i am not to worried about it.

Nails and bullets I'll disagree on. I have and also have encountered many times both of them loose in bags, drawers, cabinets, toolboxes, guncases, etc.

If you're finding them new in a store, then yes that makes sense. But people leave all kinds of random shit around the home.

You store bullets lose in drawers? I have over 2,000 rounds they are all stored in boxes in my basement. I would never store bullets out in the open for kids or others to find(i do keep a full clip in my locked gun case next to my bed). And by "many" i assume you mean less then 50% of the time? And not the majority of bullets owned just loose one that got put there and forgotten?

And where do you find the bulk of nails? Crates in warehouses. These nails are stored for sale later or overstock from stores. Granted the warehouses are not climate controlled so the cardboard could have rotted from moisture. And you find so few that they might just be loose nails that have fallen out of the box. I do store my nails at home in old coffee tins the same ones my dad used when he was alive.

I am a little anal about organization so i might be looking at this though bias eyes :)

Lot's of people store nails in big drawers, etc. that you couldn't take with you. Every single nail I own is in a workbench, and you can't exactly just cram a workbench drawer into your bag- they'd all fall out anyways.

I keep new boxes of shells and bullets in their boxes, yes. But I also have a handful in the drawer next to the handgun, a good dozen shotgun shells in the bottom of one of my hunting bags (shotgun is locked up) a good dozen or so .308's in another hunting bag (rifle is locked up). I keep my huntings bags ready with the ammo I need to go hunting, so I can grab them at a moment's notice. I usually keep enough to load my gun loose, a few extras, and a bandolier full in the bag. Besides, children can find shells/bullets and not hurt themselves without a weapon.

Children don't come into my home anyways; if they did, it'd all be locked up. Have done from time to time. That being said, sadly many people aren't as responsible as us and do leave not only bullets and shells but also firearms out in the open. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying it happens.

I believe that on a higher difficulty setting you're forced to load bullets into magazines, and then magazines into weapons, right? Well, then it shouldn't be very hard at all to create a "magazine" for cigarettes. Even if it's just a rubber band that holds 5-10 of them together. I won't suggest that this should be a feature, nor a mod,I'm simply saying it seems like it's more than possible with the current game.