Add common sense as spice

GOGOblin

On 9/12/2016 at 2:51 AM, GOGOblin said:

Today we taste some roots. Actually burdock, according to this we can not find it in PZ Kentucky, but I guess there are a lot of other nice plants to forage there.

I've tasted the burdock roots myself, they are good! Fresh smell like parsley roots, but when cooked the flovour disapears. Boiled roots are like potatoes with a flavour of fresh corn or white asparagus. fried - like.. potatoes too, but more dense. Here some pics (sorry for a "survival" pot :-D):

1roots.jpg

2boil.jpg

3eat.jpg

I kept roots in water for 2 hours, then boiled for 30-40 minutes, then one half boiled more, the other half fried. Pretty nice food even without spices or onion. 

PZ foraging is a great thing, but berries - the easiest to get food in PZ - are not so nice IRL: need a lot of time to gather, not that nutritious. Mushrooms are also not very good food, their proteins and other valuable substances are locked in chitin we cant digest.

I suggest adding roots as a forager's source of food. They need a trowel/shovel to get (not always), but reward is good.

Speaking of shovels, are those even in PZ? I've found trowesl and spades, but no shovels.

Oh. terminology again..  I guess in case of hunger you'll be glad to have any kind of spade to get to food :-D

In Russia we call both devices or showels: "dagger shovel" to dig and "trowel shovel" to throw., we do not usually use those hybrid thing with sharp blade and bended handle. Took a look at google-pictures - i guess both words are used randomly.  Spade is sharp and used to dig ground, shovel is wide and used mostly to throw sand-coal-whatever else , am I right? Wiki image for shovel confuses me again, ah screw it!