Medicaments overhaul!

Undust4able

Hello! Long time I haven't posted here, but just got that idea in my mind and decided to share with you.

Currently, pills and tablets do simple things: -5 fatigue, -5 stress, beta blockers, etc. and do not pose any threat but rare overdose.

I suggest a total remake of how the pills work in game.

First of all, medical items are special and do not just "add/remove stat when used", they differ from items like bread, matches or apples.

When the player first connects to the server, game would loop through all registered pills (both vanilla and modded) and generate unique names for a given player.

Algorithm would take random latin medical names from a special dictionary and connect them, so the output would look like a medical name for a drug, only fake:

1dac49d617d9d0054028a5745b20ef6b.png

Then it would check if that name was ever registered on this server, if it was, then a suffix would be attached to it, e.g "Hydrochlorothiazide" -> "Hydrochlorothiazide-1".

Afterwards the name is stored on that list to check for later.

As this procedure is completed, player would spawn as usual. Drug names are unique and individual for each account.

Each player will see pills differently to avoid confusion. If player A has vitamin pills and sees it as "Hydrochlorothiazide", drops them on the ground and player B picks them up he sees them as, for example, "Clindamycin".

It will kinda work as unidentified potions/scrolls in a roguelike game. Until you take them and experience its effects you don't know what they do.

As you take the pill, you won't see it's real name though, but a prompt would pop up, telling you to name them.

If you have a specific trait however, you will see what it really does (only once taken).

Pills should have many different effects and act interesting. Rare pills might only work if a specific pill was taken previously. Some pills knock you down, some pills kill you if taken when drunk, some pills conflict with each other and are incompatible. This diversity of effects and rules would make gameplay challenging and immersive.

I preffer something more simple like berries system. A player with no medical skill just see "pills", the more 1st aid skill you have the more info you see about them. like what they cure, how strong they are (to not overdose), name etc.

I find that the problem with this is that these basic medications can be purchased from the pharmacy and they have their drug facts right on the bottle. The only pills this would affect would be prescriptions and even then some of these bottles are labeled as well. Might be good for making beta-blockers harder to come by though...